Tubes or no Tubes with MT ET Streets

RFM50

Established Member
Hey guys I just got a new set of 15x8 drag stars with MT Et street bias ply 28x11.5-15's. Bought the tires through discount and discount doesn't seem to be comfortable mounting them without tubes because the tires say tube style. I have heard its better to run these with out tubes, is this true? I did some researching on MT's website and it looks like I should be running tubes especially with the mustangs weight.

v8stang

Established Member
Not sure about weight wise, but I've ran et streets without tubes before. Either way, make sure they don't oil up the edges for the seal. A light blend of soap is usually used.
I never had problems of air loss without tubes, which is what most guys worry about.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
I never ran tubes on my 28x12.5-15 ET Street bias plys. They would slowly leak down after a couple of weeks when not on the car. But such is the nature of the beast.
And I concur, definitely don't use the slime on the beads. That' the quickest way to spin those tires on the wheel at the track.

RFM50

Established Member
If I run the tube is it going to cause them to be like running a radial as far as the shock load on the drivetrain on hard launch's?

RMoore92

Established Member
I've ran them in my Lightning for about 2 years without tubes but you're right the Discount boys don't really like to mount those ties. They were even more scared because mine had bead locks in them. I had to end up taking them to my buddy who worked at a Lexus dealer to get them mounted.

You'll be fine without tubes.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No tubes in my et drags but they do leak down so you need to keep air in them. I run the stiffwall slicks and they work great.

corysmach1

Established Member
No tubes in my et drags but they do leak down so you need to keep air in them. I run the stiffwall slicks and they work great.

Im either gonna run those or Hoosier QTPs assuming they are almost the same thing? Im not gonna run tubes either. Some people say you lose mph running these? If I remember right they are considerably lighter than my MT drag radials.....therefore for a roll race I will just air them up.

CPRsm

Funny because most places won't replace a tube if they tear it installing them. Used lots of baby powder if you use them. They stiffen the sidewall and minimize the sway. Don't have to have them like everyone said though

RFM50

Established Member
Mickey Thompson just told me you have to run screws or bead locks with tubes. So I am going to go tubeless for now and if I find that I want to run tubes I will add them but I think I will be ok.

RMoore92

Established Member
Mickey Thompson just told me you have to run screws or bead locks with tubes. So I am going to go tubeless for now and if I find that I want to run tubes I will add them but I think I will be ok.

I see you are in STV! Sounds like you are getting ready for March 7th at wild horse? I'll be out there running my new setup, I'm in Gilbert BTW :)

RFM50

Established Member
I see you are in STV! Sounds like you are getting ready for March 7th at wild horse? I'll be out there running my new setup, I'm in Gilbert BTW :)

Sweet! I sure am. I'm really hoping Kevin at Jpc gets the time to work on my tune before then. He is supposed to switch me to a boss strategy and add more timing for the meth. The tune is currently way to safe for the meth.

RFM50

Established Member
So I got discount to mount them up with out tubes. Now I will find out if I like them with out tubes or not. The way I look at it is, I can always add tubes and screws but I can't take the screws out if I don't like the tubes. These suckers look huge when there not on the car.

RMoore92

Established Member
Sweet! I sure am. I'm really hoping Kevin at Jpc gets the time to work on my tune before then. He is supposed to switch me to a boss strategy and add more timing for the meth. The tune is currently way to safe for the meth.

Awesome! I'll see you there but I'll be the slow car, lol.

I'm fighting discount right now to get my tires mounted. They say the nto5r are a lower load rating than what my car is and won't mount them.

RFM50

Established Member
All mounted up!

image_zps2d10cd56.jpg

RFM50

Established Member
Awesome! I'll see you there but I'll be the slow car, lol.

I'm fighting discount right now to get my tires mounted. They say the nto5r are a lower load rating than what my car is and won't mount them.

Wow that's retarded. Did you buy them through them or somewhere else? I would get your money back and order through summit or something and have someone else mount them. I was playing games with them today. Told them what I wanted done and they did it.

Users who are viewing this thread