TVS vs WHIPPLE

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
After a lot of contemplating and discussions I switched out my 2.9 Whipple for a TVS. Most of the data is probably already known by most, but the biggest take away here is if you’re just going to run pump gas, 93 Octane, and primarily hit the streets, than this might work for you.

I’m just an average “JOE” with pump gas comparisons.Took my car up to Bob Kurgan and what I rec’d back was NIGHT and DAY difference. I have completed my winter project early.

For me, dreams of a bigger motor and E85 kind of came to end after the shenanigans with the Swamp Whore known as, IronHand Racing aka Cory Kolk. And also retirement from the Army came faster for me so my budget is not nearly what it use to be.

I could have gotten the TVS w/ GT500 throttle body but decided to save the cash difference (about $1000.00) and go with the Accufab TB inlet and reuse my existing throttle body. (The money I saved could be used for custom cams,headers,etc someday)

I run 93 (with a little Torco to be safe), so that netted me 19#’s on the 2.9 and 20#’s on the TVS.

If you want a “seat of the pants” comparison…..the TVS, as all have said, comes on IMMEDIATLEY as soon as the sole of the shoe meets the gas pedal. With the 2.9 @ 19#’s (mid to upper RPMS) of boost, the blower lags. BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!

My wife’s Comp Orange has a 2.3 Whipple @21#’s, so I have felt firsthand the “seat of the pants” comparison between all three blowers .

Here is my setup:
TVS/2.8 pulley/Accufab TB
Stock Lower
stock manifolds, o/r Xpipe, LM2 Catback
JLT HB Intake
Sct3000
Lethal Return Fuel System
80# Inj.
Spec3+ clutch

Setup was the same except with the 2.9 I ran a JLT RAM AIR CAI

All runs on a DynoJet.
Same tuner…Mr Kurgan (thanks again:thumbsup:)
Car runs and idles just like stock.

We also tuned the car with the 2.6 pulley and race fuel.

2.9 Whipple vs 2.3 TVS Dyno Graph~ Power the same gained TQ with the TVS

petepeterson_vmpvswhipple_zps5f6bcb15.jpg

IMG_0678_zps827c3e2c.jpg

Pretty happy at this point, car is a blast to drive :beer:

Last edited:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Awesome comparison. What did she put down with the 2.6 pulley. It really is good to see a honest comparison of the 2.9 and 2.3 TVS, both seem to perform great on these cars.

woodrow5.0

Established Member
Awesome write up.I actually just saw your car on Kurgans Facebook page of them installing the blower.How was your experience with Bob and Wade?Car looks fantastic by the way!

stangfreak

Established Member
The tvs is awesome! I wish they would make a 3.3 tvs but that got shit canned.

Just keep in mind, you were running 19lbs on a 2.9 blower. The 2.9 is meant to be spun a bit harder. The tvs does make killer tq, but you are now running a smaller blower so the 2.9 at 19lbs will feel a bit less snappy. 2.3 tvs at 20lbs pump gas should feel sick.

My 2.9 at 23lbs is violent. There is zero lag . NONE. so you really cant say the 2.9 is laggy because at its proper place, its a violent blower. even jay said his 2.9 was violent and said it himself " people that say these big blowers are laggy have no clue what there talking about." jay said that.

Bigger isn't always better, yes. But you have to choose the right tool for the job. If I wanted to keep my car on pump gas and run low boost like 19 20, I would go with a tvs. There sick blowers but its not the end all be all supercharger.

also keep in mind, Justin at vmp said it himself, he only recommends running x amount of boost from the 2.3 This is why I kept my 2.9 because I want to eventually run big big boost.

broke7, we all know him, said to me once, before you redo the motor and want to go faster, pulley your whipple to 27lbs around there. 23 to 27lbs is NIGHT AND DAY. totally different car. so at that boost level, I would want a little bigger blower for a bit more efficiency. Like I said, you just have to pick the right tool for what you want to do. Glad you got great results!

Blueline

Established Member
Hey Bud glad you posted this! I have been debating which route to go with the new Cobra and have been reading up on the TVS. I would be in the same shoes as you, weekend cruiser hitting the streets, 93 octane (don't feel like running torco) and just a torque monster. I have a lot to consider.

TVS VERT

Established Member

Just keep in mind, you were running 19lbs on a 2.9 blower. The 2.9 is meant to be spun a bit harder. The tvs does make killer tq, but you are now running a smaller blower so the 2.9 at 19lbs will feel a bit less snappy. 2.3 tvs at 20lbs pump gas should feel sick.

My 2.9 at 23lbs is violent. There is zero lag . NONE. so you really cant say the 2.9 is laggy because at its proper place, its a violent blower. even jay said his 2.9 was violent and said it himself " people that say these big blowers are laggy have no clue what there talking about." jay said that.

Bigger isn't always better, yes. But you have to choose the right tool for the job. If I wanted to keep my car on pump gas and run low boost like 19 20, I would go with a tvs. There sick blowers but its not the end all be all supercharger.

also keep in mind, Justin at vmp said it himself, he only recommends running x amount of boost from the 2.3 This is why I kept my 2.9 because I want to eventually run big big boost.

broke7, we all know him, said to me once, before you redo the motor and want to go faster, pulley your whipple to 27lbs around there. 23 to 27lbs is NIGHT AND DAY. totally different car. so at that boost level, I would want a little bigger blower for a bit more efficiency. Like I said, you just have to pick the right tool for what you want to do. Glad you got great results!

Well said............no one that i know of has spun the TVS past 22psi so no one can really say what it will do maybe it shines maybe it's maxed out? I just went through a friend of mine's car that had a built motor, big cams and a 2.9 spun to 20psi on pump gas tuned by pete johnson and ill say this i would not describe the car as "laggy" would have loved to see what it was like on race gas on say 25-26 psi, but the car was very strong .

I have zero biased towards any blower now as all i have a stock eaton with a 2.93 pulley lol.

1320 Junkie

Established Member

2.9 is a great blower Alex..and mine was great til i changed to the crusher inlet...ruined it. Tvs is still a better performing street blower on pump gas boost #'s.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Congrats on the new set up. How would you compare the TVS to your wife's 2.3 Whipple? What are the numbers on your wife's car?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome write up.I actually just saw your car on Kurgans Facebook page of them installing the blower.How was your experience with Bob and Wade?Car looks fantastic by the way!

Bob has tuned my car twice. I will not go anywhere else. I had to drive 4 1/2 hours one way to his shop. I'll be doing repeat business with him again in the future. How many threads do you see, "I took my car to Kurgan it doesnt run right". :lol1:

Congrats on the new set up. How would you compare the TVS to your wife's 2.3 Whipple? What are the numbers on your wife's car?

Her numbers are on par with the amount of boost she is running, north of 625, but the response of my setup is way more sensative. We both have Accufab TB's so I will attribute this to the additional RWTQ that the TVS provides over the 2.3 Whipple, I guess.

Just so I am being honest here, when I used the term "LAGGY" as it refers to the 2.9 thats only at the boost level I was running which was 19#'s. I did not have E85 readily available to me or I would have kept the 2.9, and I did not want to run 110 race fuel 24/7 either. My options were limited as to how I was going to be able to provide the boost thats needed to get maximum benifit out of the 2.9 Whipple. Both great blowers depending on your needs or "tool" to get the job done.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats I'm pretty positive I'm going to go with a TVS over a whipple now someday. Now what's your winter project going to be.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats I'm pretty positive I'm going to go with a TVS over a whipple now someday. Now what's your winter project going to be.

No winter project, my wife put me on a 120 day cool down period.
Kinda like buying a gun in some states, only different.

I do have enough money left over to buy sandpaper so I can polish my catback though

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Great numbers, congrats. :beer:

Let me say even the 2.3 whipple needs to be spun. Mine runs 22psi and the hp/tq cross somewhere north of 650 wheel. The peak tq is 680 wheel about 3700 rpms and there is no lag whatsoever, it's immediate tq hit. This is on E85 however...and heavy timing. I have a 93 17psi tune as well, and it's a lot less satisfying without question. It doesn't hesitate...but it's not anywhere near as violent. I haven't run the gas tune in over 18 months.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Bob has tuned my car twice. I will not go anywhere else. I had to drive 4 1/2 hours one way to his shop. I'll be doing repeat business with him again in the future. How many threads do you see, "I took my car to Kurgan it doesnt run right". :lol1:

Her numbers are on par with the amount of boost she is running, north of 625, but the response of my setup is way more sensative. We both have Accufab TB's so I will attribute this to the additional RWTQ that the TVS provides over the 2.3 Whipple, I guess.

Just so I am being honest here, when I used the term "LAGGY" as it refers to the 2.9 thats only at the boost level I was running which was 19#'s. I did not have E85 readily available to me or I would have kept the 2.9, and I did not want to run 110 race fuel 24/7 either. My options were limited as to how I was going to be able to provide the boost thats needed to get maximum benifit out of the 2.9 Whipple. Both great blowers depending on your needs or "tool" to get the job done.

Thanks for the info.:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread