Twin Turbo 5.0 Build

KenB

Established Member
Ken, I thought that on turbo cars you should command a fat a/f ratio & low timing in low rpms to help them load, is that correct? I read that years ago and don't know how true that is.

That is true usually. But on a stock computer it gets complicated because where you pull timing to spool you may hit those same cells trying to accelerate through 1st gear.

Because we have a very unique car here I'm going to try it in a unique way. With cam timing.

D.T.R

Established Member
I think we made some major breakthroughs on cam timing last night. Headed back to the track tonight!

Cam timing is such a beautiful thing :rolling:
It can help pick up some turbo spooling... among other things.

KenB

Established Member
Just went 10.58@129 on the first hit. I had to lift toward the stripe because the car started to move around. There was some oil on the track.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BryanW

Established Member
I think there is no need for a convertor upgrade at this point, what was the 60'?

Congrats. Waiting on videos.

Twins. Gotta give names for each turbo, that's bad ass

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
That is true usually. But on a stock computer it gets complicated because where you pull timing to spool you may hit those same cells trying to accelerate through 1st gear.

Because we have a very unique car here I'm going to try it in a unique way. With cam timing.

I can see what you're saying. When I read it they were talking about race cars and using stand alone ecu. So that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Just went 10.58@129 on the first hit. I had to lift toward the stripe because the car started to move around. There was some oil on the track.

Oh nice! It's getting off the line quicker I see.

KenB

Established Member
I think there is no need for a convertor upgrade at this point, what was the 60'?

Congrats. Waiting on videos.

Twins. Gotta give names for each turbo, that's bad ass

Videos will be late tonight when I get home. 60' was. 1.67

KenB

Established Member
10.41@135 is the best of the night on a hot lap. I'll tell the whole story of the night when I get home.

KenB

Established Member
Just got done getting the video together. Overall I'm very happy with the night. Unfortunately the track was down a long time from an oil down.

This time out the only change is MS109 Race gas. We also had ice in the tank for every pass.

First pass on 8psi, got a very good launch considering we have the stock converter but at maybe the 1000 ft I felt like I was getting loose and pedaled it. A few people behind me had the same problem and that is what they were cleaning up for over an hour.

That pass:
6.85@107
10.58@129

Next pass was similar but I had no issues and stayed in the whole time
6.86@106
[email protected]

Then we decided to up the boost to 10 psi

First pass on 10 psi I didn't get it to leave well, so I hot lapped it for the last pass of the night. still not a great 60' but I can only do so much with this stock converter.

6.79@108
[email protected]

We are extremely pleased with where we ended up. Especially in such a short time. There is so much potential left here. Our intent was to show a worse case scenario with a bone stock car plus this twin system. But it turns out it's a pretty sick setup as is. I think with further tuning on cam timing and some other things I can get it to go much quicker with the stock converter but we are going to move ahead and put the Circle D converter in.

I'm headed out of town till the new year and Jake is an expecting Dad on Jan 1 so we will probably pick this back up sometime in the middle of January.

Here's the video of those 3 passes

[youtube_browser]13yVmeaHjCI[/youtube_browser]

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Nice runs, Slap some skinnies on her and your good for another 10th.
Isn't this Jon's car? I herd a rumor that he's moving down here (Florida).

Last edited:

KenB

Established Member
Nice runs, Slap some skinnies on her and your good for another 10th.
Isn't this Jon's car? I herd a rumor that he's moving down here (Florida).
The paperwork has his name on it but I don't think I'm giving it back. It's way too badass lol.

No, he's not moving down here.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
chatroulette-trolling-u-jelly1.jpg

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
[youtube_browser]13yVmeaHjCI[/youtube_browser]

Much has been made about the "ghost cam" tune from Lund and how some think it's "ricey" because it provides no performance benefit.

Yet, unless my ears deceive me, your car has a strong lope. Sounds really awesome, in my opinion -- not too much, and not too little. That's your car and not another in the background making that sound, right? What's the performance reason for it?

Last edited:

KenB

Established Member
Much has been made about the "ghost cam" tune from Lund and how some think it's "ricey" because it provides no performance benefit.

Yet, unless my ears deceive me, your car has a strong lope. Sounds really awesome, in my opinion -- not too much, and not too little. That's your car and not another in the background making that sound, right? What's the performance reason for it?

I think you might be hearing a different car. This car is so quiet you can usually hear the car in the other lane better than this one.

Users who are viewing this thread