Two piece rotors?

Stupercharged

Established Member
anyone running them? ive heard that every 10lbs of unsprung weight you lose is ~100lbs sprung weight? is this true? if so has anyone noticed a difference at the track?and where can you find replacement rotor rings? ive searched all over the internet and cant find them anywhere, specifically for the baer eradispeed plus 2 piece rotors?

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks! those seem a little pricey but i do like that they are slotted and not cross drilled. interested in the 13" rears as well but once again price may be an issue for me. id be interested in your street strip setup as i would like the most weight savings since it rarely sees track duty. what would be the price for a full set of rotors with the upgraded rears? have these rotors gone into production yet? and i was reading your other thread and it would seems the track rotors would need more cooling therefore a bigger airgap yet yours have a smaller air gap? can you explain this to me? thanks!

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
anyone running them? ive heard that every 10lbs of unsprung weight you lose is ~100lbs sprung weight? is this true? if so has anyone noticed a difference at the track?and where can you find replacement rotor rings? ive searched all over the internet and cant find them anywhere, specifically for the baer eradispeed plus 2 piece rotors?

I have them. It did drop the 40lbs off the car so the 10lbs per. I weighed it before the install and right after .
I actually felt a diffence driving around but more of an opinion with nothing to back it up . And it does brake alot better than stock. IMO. Hope this helps

:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
thanks! those seem a little pricey but i do like that they are slotted and not cross drilled. interested in the 13" rears as well but once again price may be an issue for me. id be interested in your street strip setup as i would like the most weight savings since it rarely sees track duty. what would be the price for a full set of rotors with the upgraded rears? have these rotors gone into production yet? and i was reading your other thread and it would seems the track rotors would need more cooling therefore a bigger airgap yet yours have a smaller air gap? can you explain this to me? thanks!

If you think these are pricey you should see what Brembo gets for a set of 13" 2 pc floaters!! Way more than double! :dw:

The 13" rear Cobra IRS conversion in in the works. It's going to be a few months yet before they hit the market.

I have one set of the 13" Cobra front street/strip version ready now. There are a couple of people that want the road race version and I hope to make more of them in the very near future.

Track rotors need more MASS for the rigors of road racing. Therefore they have to have thicker braking faces. Thicker faces mean a more narrow air gap. The thickness of the rotor cannot change. It remains at 1.100" for both versions. Air will go through the center just fine. I ran those rotors for years with excellent results. I'm now running 14" rotors on my cars.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Stupercharged

Established Member
so if i were to buy the street/strip prototype set and there wasnt enough interest in them im assuming i couldnt find replacement rotor rings and would have to buy a new 2-piece set correct? and why is more mass better for the race rotors? o and what do you mean by "floaters"?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
so if i were to buy the street/strip prototype set and there wasnt enough interest in them im assuming i couldnt find replacement rotor rings and would have to buy a new 2-piece set correct? and why is more mass better for the race rotors? o and what do you mean by "floaters"?

My understanding of floating rotors (floaters) is that they have a "loose" axial connection. In other words, the hardware that connects the aluminum hat to the steel rotor ring is not clamping. The rotor is free to move side to side, to a point, in order to adapt to minute suspension geometry movements. However, the hat and ring are not permitted to rotate in reference to one another.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

I will support replacement rotor rings for many years to come. No worry there.

More mass is required for road racing because a LOT more heat is generated by repeatedly having to slow the car down over and over again. To slow a vehicle, you must turn the speed into kinetic energy. The more mass you have in the rotor the more efficient this conversion to kinetic energy will be. This does not happen on the street or drag strip.

For the floater explanation see below:

My understanding of floating rotors (floaters) is that they have a "loose" axial connection. In other words, the hardware that connects the aluminum hat to the steel rotor ring is not clamping. The rotor is free to move side to side, to a point, in order to adapt to minute suspension geometry movements. However, the hat and ring are not permitted to rotate in reference to one another.

^ This is a good explanation. A floating rotor is not bolted to the hat, it is attached with bobbins and the bobbins go through a slot in the rotor. This slot allows the rotor to expand and contract in a circumferential manner. Meaning it is free to grow when it gets red hot and shrink in diameter after it cools, by floating on these bobbins.

This is what a hot rotor looks like:

rotorglo.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
Bruce

Any chance of making 14" full floaters with plain discs?.........ones that won't rattle :-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce

Any chance of making 14" full floaters with plain discs?.........ones that won't rattle :-D

Russ:

Typically floaters are going to make a tiny bit of noise. I can't hear a damn thing in either of my cars and I'm seriously contemplating wearing ear plugs when I'm in that blue beast! :eek: That is the noisiest damn car I have ever been in!! :fart:

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks for all the help guys! questions just keep popping into my mind since i dont know brakes in very much detail. if i buy the street rotors now are the street rotor rings and race rotor rings interchangeable if i wanted to race down the road? and can both these rotors be used with aftermarket calipers? either 4 or 6 piston?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
thanks for all the help guys! questions just keep popping into my mind since i dont know brakes in very much detail. if i buy the street rotors now are the street rotor rings and race rotor rings interchangeable if i wanted to race down the road? and can both these rotors be used with aftermarket calipers? either 4 or 6 piston?

The street and road race rotors use the identical hat and attaching hardware. They are dimentionally identical in all aspects with the exception of the air gap.

These rotors will work with OEM PBR Cobra and Mach 1 two piston floating calipers, along with Y2KR four piston fixed Brembos. Some other manufacturers like Baer require a rotor change with their upgraded calipers.

FWIW

Stupercharged

Established Member
awesome thanks for all the help man! does anyone know if you can just buy the 00R brembo calipers without the rotors? ive only seen the sets? and anyone know of any rear 4 piston kits for a decent price?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
awesome thanks for all the help man! does anyone know if you can just buy the 00R brembo calipers without the rotors? ive only seen the sets? and anyone know of any rear 4 piston kits for a decent price?

Unless you buy it used, the rotors are included in the 2000 Cobra R Brembo caliper kit. Tousley Ford sells it for $1,180 - cheapest I know of.

As far as the rears, Bruce will eventually offer a 13" kit to upgrade the stock 11.65" rotors. You can see them on the 2-piece rotor thread he linked. These will be aluminum hat 2-piece rotors, too. But, they utilize the stock calipers, just relocated to compensate for the larger diameter. This kit will provide more than enough braking force for the rear of these cars. In fact, you may have to tone down the rear pad to keep this front heavy (57/43) car from swapping ends under heavy braking at the track. The extra leverage will provide additional braking force and the extra mass of the larger rotor will dissipate heat more readily. Plus, 13" all around should look pretty nice...separating this Mustang from the others on the road.

Stupercharged

Established Member
hopefully bruce's rears will be lighter than stock because i wouldnt want to add weight. im either going with 00R brakes or brembo GT 4 pistons so i may have to hold off on front 2-piece rotors. i will be buying rear 2-piece rotors so its a bummer bruce's arent out yet cuz ill be stuck with crappy drilled 2-piece rotors.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Users who are viewing this thread