Unported upper only 03 Cobra makes 497/524 STD.

O4COBRA

Established Member
Well I just got home from having my DSG 03 Cobra dyno tuned at AED here in Northern California. Today went very well with the tuning. After really fine tuning the car we made a pass and came out with 497/524 STD, 481/506 SAE on the same run. We were really happy with that pass but knew it was just a little too much with pump gas. So we de-tuned the car to 19* of timing and came up with 488/506 STD, 472/502 SAE. Couldn't be happier with the tune, and the numbers the car came up with. Anybody know how these STD #'s match up to similar modded cars or even higher modded cars? Anyways, pics and vid!

-AED tune by Shaun
-Billetflow 2.76 upper with 100 idler - 74.5 Goodyear belt
-04SLEEPER ported and polished TB
-JLT CF RAI
-Bassani or/x and catback
-NGK TR6's
-Stock pumps, injectors, blower, MAF

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQf2IAhkEM"]YouTube - 2003 Cobra AED tuned. 2.76 upper only 472/502 SAE[/nomedia]

dyno1-001.jpg

dyno2-001.jpg

Last edited:

black03kbcobra

Flawless Victory!
Established Member
Thats some impressive torque man. Mine with the same mods except I had longtubes made 470, but only 484 torque. Very strong running car. Now go kick some chevy ass!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well I just got home from having my DSG 03 Cobra dyno tuned at AED her in Northern California. Today went very well with the tuning. After really fine tuning the car we made a pass and came out with 497/524 STD, 481/506 SAW on the same run. We were really happy with that pass but knew it was just a little too much with pump gas. So we de-tuned the car to 19* of timing and came up with 488/506 STD, 472/502 SAE. Couldn't be happier with the tune, and the numbers the car came up with. Anybody know how these STD #'s match up to similar modded cars or even higher modded cars?
AED uses a Dynocom dynomometer to measure power. Pretty tough to realistically compare to Dynojet, or even Mustang Dyno, numbers. Be pretty tough to hit 472/502 with an upper only Eaton at 19 degrees of timing on a Dynojet.

O4COBRA

Established Member
Thanks guys. I was pretty impressed. I was hoping for 460hp/tq. So I'm beyond happy with it...

AED uses a Dynocom dynomometer to measure power. Pretty tough to realistically compare to Dynojet, or even Mustang Dyno, numbers. Be pretty tough to hit 472/502 with an upper only Eaton at 19 degrees of timing on a Dynojet.

Well that debate goes on and will go on until the end of time. Will we ever know which one is correct or not? Dynojet reads "high", mustang reads "low". Same thing in this case it has to fall somewhere in this mix, no? Same dyno, 2.81 upper, HFC'd X, GT cams, and a SBTB Cobra made 477/504. Thoughts? I'll see if I can get on a Dynojet and a Mustang dyno here locally and see what she does...

Same tuner and dyno just pulled 437 rwhp STD out of a new 11' GT. Close or way off?

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well that debate goes on and will go on until the end of time. Will we ever know which one is correct or not? Dynojet reads "high", mustang reads "low". Same thing in this case it has to fall somewhere in this mix, no? Same dyno, 2.81 upper, HFC'd X, GT cams, and a SBTB Cobra made 477/504. Thoughts? I'll see if I can get on a Dynojet and a Mustang dyno here locally and see what she does...

Same tuner and dyno just pulled 437 rwhp STD out of a new 11' GT. Close or way off?

I agree with you 100%. There is no right answer. I guess because the Dynojets are more popular, a lot of folks feel they are the "standard". But that's not necessarily true. Actually in some of the research that I've done on certain setups, I've found some Dynocom numbers that I felt were lower than the norm.:shrug:

One thing is for sure, the Mustang Dynos are all over the place. Not possible to accurately or consistently compare them to any other horsepower measuring device. Too many different ways to set them up......

O4COBRA

Established Member
I agree with you 100%. There is no right answer. I guess because the Dynojets are more popular, a lot of folks feel they are the "standard". But that's not necessarily true. Actually in some of the research that I've done on certain setups, I've found some Dynocom numbers that I felt were lower than the norm.:shrug:

One thing is for sure, the Mustang Dynos are all over the place. Not possible to accurately or consistently compare them to any other horsepower measuring device. Too many different ways to set them up......

And when tuners lose the sight of proper ethics and such, and start focusing on the money side, who's to say they don't "calibrate" the dyno for higher #'s. I know of a few shops that were accused of that a few years back when I was in the evo scene.

The tuner and I were looking through his files trying to see if an Eaton car with similar mods to mine was close in #'s. From what we looked though I was up about 17hp and maybe 25-40tq. So even on the same dyno mine did pretty good. Most cars with similar mods were 470/480 STD on the same dyno. It might help that the car has under 9000 miles also... :beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^What was the outside temp also because even with corrected numbers it still helps a ton.

Nice numbers by the way also.

O4COBRA

Established Member
^ For my runs it looks like 75*. On the other people's runs I don't know though. The car I mentioned above with HFC's, 2.81, GT cams, and a SBTB made 477/504 SAE on a 104* day. What are your thoughts Posi?

Oh and Posi, it's now more tempting than ever to have you port the blower and plenum on this thing. I was hesitant because I wasn't sure on California 91 oct that I could make 500 rwhp. Now I'm thinking about going for it and picking up some 60's and a BAP. She is my daily, so I would need a really quick turn around time on porting mine. I've got less than 9000 miles on my car, so I would want to use my blower for the port...

Last edited:

snakezilla

Established Member
nice #s Kyle. Im taking my car to AED in a couple of weeks for the same pulley swap and tune. I have a 2.76, all the BF idlers, TR6, Afco dual pass, bassani O/R, manapacks CB, and a cold air. hoping for the same #s

Last edited:

O4COBRA

Established Member
^ I'll bet you can't wait. I know I was starting to get anxious but finally it's done. Nice to finally be able to get into boost safely again. It's a whole different car now that's for sure. Let me know what you end up with, I'm curious to see what your #'s are. Are you running an FIPK only?

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
Nice numbers. I have seen cobra's make anywhere from 445-470 from aed and they all run about the same. I'll be back home in the bay area and maybe we ca setup some runs but i only make 450/466 sae.:burnout:

O4COBRA

Established Member
^ Yeah these numbers are a lot better than I was hoping for. I was only hoping for something like 460/460. So I'm happy with it. Shaun and Drew are as good as it gets IMO. Glad to have them close by, or for you somewhat close... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread