Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
Well this thread answers some of the questions I asked before about these part numbers.

F7ZZ-7548-AA HUB & BRG ASSEMBLY-CL REL $26.81
F6ZZ-7600-A BRG ASSEMBLY-TRANS INP SH $9.02
3R3Z-7B546-AB DSC & PLT ASSEMBLY-CL ($50.00 core charge added) $472.33
3R3Z-7005-AA CSE TRANS FRONT ADAP $285.15
3R3Z-7563-AARM PLT & COVER ASSEMBLY CL PRE ($20.00 core charge added) $109.21

I never got any responce from anyone here what these specific part numbers are with their somewhat cryptic description. Does anyone know what the exact description of these part numbers?

RGrossman

Established Member
So when the trans is pulled and you have this assemlbed retainer sleeve, does it simply bolt onto the tranny? or do you need special tools to install it. Id like to install the newest sleeve with my clutch. I will be using a higher quality TOB that DnD recommended though...

Last edited:

cobracory

Established Member
I just got my car back last night from the dealer.
I got the new TOB installed with the new sleeve.
I don't have the paperwork with me to compare part numbers and I forgot to ask when I was talking with the Service Manager.

So far so good. No more noises.
Service Manager said the sleeve was completely gone when they hoisted it and started working on it. That would explain why I have not heard the noise at all over the weekend.

Everything is nice and quiet now... I am finding shifting easier now too. Hard to explain, but it feels as if shifts are smoother now.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm calling my service rep as soon as his lunch break is over, this is great. Thanks for the Info!

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Just so you know, this thread helped me out a TON. Though the TSB# you gave originally (04134) is incorrect. It's 040134, according to Jim (Service Manager at Sheehy Ford, Gaithersburg). And it does mention the retainer sleeve and TOB being replaced via the revised transmission cover plate. I was having the same old noisy cricket sound too and I am waiting for this coming Wednesday (08/04) to show Jim what exactly the problem is.

I can't wait to have smoother shifting and no noises at stoplights/stop signs with the clutch depressed and the car in gear. I won't be embarassed anymore.

It seems having a TSB# and part# scares the Service guys at Ford dealerships. Seems like they think, "Oh... This guy knows what he's talking about." and then they start the gears turning for ya.

Again, thanks a ton to all in this thread, and especially to Black2003Cobra for starting it. You've helped a bunch of people out, it seems. :beer:

Thanks bro.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I froze and tapped my retainer back in. 2500 miles and no problems since. But I'd like to have the update. Do you all think that I still can get it covered under warrantee with a Centerforce clutch in it???

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Just gave the TOB# to my service rep, he is talking to the transmission tech and will call me back. My car would be close to flawless if this fix works! Mine does not currently vibrate, but makes a noise that is noticable enough at idle and during crusing that I press the clutch so the people next to me don't think, "Whats wrong with that thing"

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by PowerWheels
Mine does not currently vibrate, but makes a noise that is noticable enough at idle and during crusing that I press the clutch so the people next to me don't think, "Whats wrong with that thing"

I do the EXACT same thing. I don't really depress the clutch at all, just lightly have my foot on it. VERY LIGHTLY. That's the only way to get rid of the sound. At stoplights, I wait until the last minute to depress the clutch and put her in gear. Otherwise, I get the squealing/chirping sound.

I'm glad someone else can comiserate with me. BUT NOT FOR LONG ON EITHER OF OUR PARTS, THANKS TO THIS THREAD!!

:beer: :beer: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra
Just so you know, this thread helped me out a TON. Though the TSB# you gave originally (04134) is incorrect. It's 040134, according to Jim (Service Manager at Sheehy Ford, Gaithersburg). And it does mention the retainer sleeve and TOB being replaced via the revised transmission cover plate. I was having the same old noisy cricket sound too and I am waiting for this coming Wednesday (08/04) to show Jim what exactly the problem is.

I can't wait to have smoother shifting and no noises at stoplights/stop signs with the clutch depressed and the car in gear. I won't be embarassed anymore.

It seems having a TSB# and part# scares the Service guys at Ford dealerships. Seems like they think, "Oh... This guy knows what he's talking about." and then they start the gears turning for ya.

Again, thanks a ton to all in this thread, and especially to Black2003Cobra for starting it. You've helped a bunch of people out, it seems. :beer:

Thanks bro.

Blk03, is the TSB for the TOB problem solely?

A dealer refused to replace my second TOB retainer due to mods. They fixed it the first time for virtually the same mods I had back then. I ended up taking care of it myself. Everyone I talk to say engine mods will not hurt the TOB or retainer, something I knew already. I'm planning some kind of action.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
The TSB# 040134 is for a revised Transmission Cover Plate that comes complete with a revised Throw-out Bearing (TOB) and a revised Input Shaft Retainer Sleeve.

I say if you're dissatisfied with the service received at the dealership you went to, call Ford directly.... As in the place in Dearborn.... Get ahold of someone who can make a difference and explain your problem. I've been surprised before with how extremely quick they will react to a dissatisfied customer that has enough guts to call up the Corporate Office.

Just a thought. Good luck, if you still go for the action.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I'm new around here, but shouldn't this thread be combined with the other thread on TOB repair (or vice versa)? It would be nice to not have to jump back and forth to gather up all this info??

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
tob.gif

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
Noisy cricket. Also you can feel the vibration if you have the car running, in neutral, put your hand on the clutch pedal and move it back and forth about 3 inches slowly. You will feel it vibrate if it's bad. Otherwise it will be smooth. The hand is just a trick for those who don't feel it with their feet.

My second and third one popped within 10 miles of leaving the dealership too. Sorry you have to go back.

Mine chirps a little on occasion. And if it's in neutral with the clutch out it will pulsate a little. The problem I'm having is with the warranty. I have 23,000 miles and the service rep is saying the clutch isn't covered. So, if the TOB sleeve goes out and causes a clutch problem, is it all covered or am I screwed???? :(

stevieb

Established Member
I had a broken front retainer and Ford replaced the trans and also the clutch, citing that the clutch had abnormal uneven wear due to the retainer.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Blk03SVT – thanks for the kind words, and I’m glad the thread has helped you out. I suppose there could be an extra zero there in the TSB number, (although I’d think if it was 04-01-xx it would have issued around Jan ’04 since that would be the first reporting period of the year). Anyway, that’s the number my shop’s foreman gave me. I will double check with him.

Firemanmike – once we post a thread, we can’t really combine them with another. You could always post a link to a relevant thread, however.

Platinum – I would think you would be covered in that case. My shop is going to warranty my clutch (and pressure plate and flywheel) if they have been damaged by the TOB and retainer sleeve problem.

Silver03Snake – Yes, as has been posted previously, HP has nothing to do with this failure, i.e., having more horsepower isn’t going to cause the TOB to go bad.

If you have mods, and want to know if you’ll be covered by this TSB, I’d say it depends on your dealer, and the kind of relationship you have with them. As already mentioned, the failure of the TOB and retainer sleeve has nothing to do with your mods. It was a faulty design, plain and simple, and by rights, Ford should cover it. I think if you go into your shop with a good attitude, and don’t try to put blame on your dealer (it’s not their fault either, after all), and if they’re decent folks, that they would work with you to resolve the problem. Most reputable dealers want to make you happy so you’ll come back! Customer loyalty is a very big thing and is good for both the shop and the customer.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I have 23,000 miles and the service rep is saying the clutch isn't covered. So, if the TOB sleeve goes out and causes a clutch problem, is it all covered or am I screwed???? :(

According to Ford, clutches are NOT covered after the first 12K miles on your car. According to them, after that point, replacing them is similar to replacing brakepads. However, it doesn't cost about $400 to replace brakepads, like it does to replace a clutch, and that's not including the price of the new clutch. Seems like it is one of those things that isn't exactly highlighted and bold-printed on the warranty for the drivetrain. Go figure :rollseyes

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that Ford will not replace your clutch under warranty after 12K miles, but I say keep trying. Tell them that the premature wear of the TOB and/or Sleeve caused the clutch to wear out or something. As others have said, they have gotten a new clutch (and even a whole new TRANS) out of this TSB, so it is definitely possible (just not probable, IMHO). I think that shops like the ones that stevieb and Black2003Cobra go to are the exception, not the rule, unfortunately. Either way, good luck man. :thumbsup:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Mine chirps a little on occasion. And if it's in neutral with the clutch out it will pulsate a little. The problem I'm having is with the warranty. I have 23,000 miles and the service rep is saying the clutch isn't covered. So, if the TOB sleeve goes out and causes a clutch problem, is it all covered or am I screwed???? :(

You should be covered because even though it's technically "a wear item", it is actually your defective TOB retainer sleeve that is causing damage to the clutch in this case.

I'd fight it and I'd fight it hard.

I'd start going up the ladder if anyone said the words "not covered" to me. This is a well known problem, with a TSB and a redesigned part by Ford. Someone would have a tough time telling me it's my responsibility with all that.

Users who are viewing this thread