Votes: 36 34.0%
  • hell no your car would look like a ricer

Votes: 70 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I just recently (2 days ago) put H3 (low beam) HIDS into my 96-98 projector and they fit fine. It could be different for the 99+ version though.

HIDS are the shiznet BTW. I use to think the high beams with these headlights were unbelievable but after getting the HIDs it's almost hard to see when I have the high beams on.

BLK02, yes you can change the bulbs. If you couldn't what happens when you have one burn out?

Navi, I'll try to get pics today. Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time.

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I just recently (2 days ago) put H3 (low beam) HIDS into my 96-98 projector and they fit fine. It could be different for the 99+ version though.

Well this is good news to hear, now all we need to do is see if the projector in the 96-98 version headlight is the same as in the 99-04 version.

CY98Cobra said:
HIDS are the shiznet BTW. I use to think the high beams with these headlights were unbelievable but after getting the HIDs it's almost hard to see when I have the high beams on.

When you are referring to the high beams, are you talking about the reflector part of the headlamp that takes the H1 bulb? If so, are you saying that the high beam is now dimmer then the low beam projector with the HID?

CY98Cobra said:
Navi, I'll try to get pics today. Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time.

Please, please, please get some pictures. Make sure to get a picture of the car about 10-15 feet away from a building or garage, and take a picture of the reflection that it displays. I wan't to see if these projectors actually have a somewhat sharp cutoff. :-D

Thanks in advance,

THC

krisco243

Established Member
i think the problem is when you get h3 or whatever hid bulbs they are actully d2s bulbs with h3 bases on them so they will secure in teh housing. the d2s is longer and would most likely come into contact with teh front of teh projector.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
THC: Yes, the reflector high beam seems very dim in comparison to the H3 HID. I'd love to get HIDs for the high beams also but it will have to wait for now. I'll take some pics of the headlights reflecting off something when it gets dark.

Krisco: The HID bulb is much longer than the standard H3 (about twice as long) but it still fit my projectors just fine.

BTW, I saw companies saying HID's wouldn't fit the 96-98 version also.

Here's some of the pics I took.

Front Headlights
Headlights_Front.jpg

HID Ballast
HID_Ballast_Right.jpg

HID_Ballast_Left.jpg

Close up.
RightHeadlight.jpg

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Well look what I just found...

A vendor that is selling the 99-04 Mustang Projector headlamps, and then outfitting them with an HID bulb in the projector. I don't know whether or not they offer a direct warranty, but we now know that you can fit an H3 HID bulb into this specific projector. :thumbsup:

It would be interesting for someone to call this vendor and ask them about the whole shebang, and see how they have it all setup.

http://www.stangmods.com/product_p/00345.htm

00345-2.jpg

00345-3.jpg

00345-4.jpg

00345-5.jpg

THC

optx002

Established Member
it says it needs modification to the rear of the housing, so they dont do the modifications for you? does that mean you have to do the modifications yourself?

Matt M PA

Established Member
I think the projector lamps are cool.

My concern is the legality. I drive in NJ alot, and don;t need any further reason to be stopped. DOT or SAE does not mean street legal.

Big Will

Banned
Am I The Only One That Thinks A Blue Hue And Yellow Hue Look Ghay? :??: Are Thier Any Pictures With Fog Lights Matching The Headlights?

tito_146

Established Member
Anyone with more info on this. My Cobra headlights are turning yellow and I need replacements. These with a HID kit will definetly help out alot with the night driving. Please post pics of the output beam from the car to the street. We all know the HID kits are much brigther when you look at them head on. I am looking for a better pattern if I am going to buy a new set of light assemblies. Thanks to all that have posted.

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
cobra04972tx1 said:
what do you think of these? I like them. Not bad for $117.
PRO-YD-FM99-HL-BK.gif

1149733669985_LHP_FMST99BB_JY.jpg

Well if you could yank off the angel eye shit looking things, make the highbeam a projector, take out the little useless projector, and outfit both high and low beam with HIDs then.....yes......they would be nice.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
So just for clarification, the 99-04 including the 04 Cobra all have the same headlight assembly?

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
TheHolyCobra said:
Well if you could yank off the angel eye shit looking things, make the highbeam a projector, take out the little useless projector, and outfit both high and low beam with HIDs then.....yes......they would be nice.
Yeah I don't like the angel eye crap either, but I like its design. Yeah I don't know if that is a little projector, looks like it just gets lit up by the angel eye piece. I'm with you, would like to find a unit that had both a high/low beam projector setup.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
cobra04972tx1 said:
Yeah I don't like the angel eye crap either, but I like its design. Yeah I don't know if that is a little projector, looks like it just gets lit up by the angel eye piece. I'm with you, would like to find a unit that had both a high/low beam projector setup.

I wonder how they would look with the angel eye light portion disconnected? Might be hard to see in a smoked housing?

Pudmunkies

Established Member
optx002 said:
Ill say this one more time. you CAN NOT fit hid's in these projector housings. The auctions/websites/manufacturers clearly state this.

You need to retrofit custom projectors or just use HID bulbs in your original housing. :bash:

Ill say this now, I do alot of retrofitting of true OEM HID projectors into contour headlamps. Just tossing an h3 or h4 HID kit into these projectors is not going to give better output. Im working with a friend local to me with an 02(?) GT, I will be putting true OEM HID components into a set of these aftermarket lights.

I saw someone posted about making a high beam projector with HID. I dont recommend this because it will not be effective in a flash to pass instance. HID's require some time to full heat up, and repeated on-off hurt bulb life. It is plausible to replace the High beam reflector with a halogen High beam projector. Valeo is the only company that I can remember that offers on. Its a huge projector, 3" lense diameter not taking into account the mounting holes etc. It is possible to modify low beam halogens to work as high beams, but they are not as effective since they do not focus light down the road, but rather try to spread it out.

Most high beams are reflectors, some units look like they are projectors, like these hella 90mm's.... (the inside projector on this retrofit I did)
lights2.jpg

Is there any interest by this forum, or mustang owners in general for true performance lighting? keeping in mind that after this retrofit your lights would be on par, or better than that of BMW, Audi, and Benz's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread