• hell no your car would look like a ricer

Votes: 70 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuruma

Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
Ill say this now, I do alot of retrofitting of true OEM HID projectors into contour headlamps. Just tossing an h3 or h4 HID kit into these projectors is not going to give better output. Im working with a friend local to me with an 02(?) GT, I will be putting true OEM HID components into a set of these aftermarket lights.

I saw someone posted about making a high beam projector with HID. I dont recommend this because it will not be effective in a flash to pass instance. HID's require some time to full heat up, and repeated on-off hurt bulb life. It is plausible to replace the High beam reflector with a halogen High beam projector. Valeo is the only company that I can remember that offers on. Its a huge projector, 3" lense diameter not taking into account the mounting holes etc. It is possible to modify low beam halogens to work as high beams, but they are not as effective since they do not focus light down the road, but rather try to spread it out.

Most high beams are reflectors, some units look like they are projectors, like these hella 90mm's.... (the inside projector on this retrofit I did)
lights2.jpg

Is there any interest by this forum, or mustang owners in general for true performance lighting? keeping in mind that after this retrofit your lights would be on par, or better than that of BMW, Audi, and Benz's....

Work looks clean and nice. I'm sure there would be enough interest depending on pricing.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
04.jpg

06.jpg

Any chance they'd look better than these? I'm guessing smoked headlights would be a lot better..

- Aj -

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
04.jpg

06.jpg

Any chance they'd look better than these? I'm guessing smoked headlights would be a lot better..

:shrug:

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
personally i do not dig the look. i think it adds rice to our muscle car. not diggin it. here is the car that did me in on them.

DSC01430%20(Medium).JPG

Pudmunkies

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
04.jpg

06.jpg

I dont want to bash the fabricator on those, but yes. I feel like I could make something more aesthetically pleasing. Using the pre-existing projector bezel makes things 100% easier / cleaner looking. Also it means that I can use a regular low beam not only Bi-xenon projectors (since the UPR projectors have a seperate high beam)

tito_146

Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
I dont want to bash the fabricator on those, but yes. I feel like I could make something more aesthetically pleasing. Using the pre-existing projector bezel makes things 100% easier / cleaner looking. Also it means that I can use a regular low beam not only Bi-xenon projectors (since the UPR projectors have a seperate high beam)

I would be interested on a custom fab version. I just got the same headlight assembly as the UPR. They are not well designed. The cut off point of the light is good. But there is too much light leaking around the projector itself. The projector section is not fully enclosed, so the light leaks out around it. If it was enclosed it would have been perfect. Now, I'm using the regular bulb that came with it. The light output of the regular H3 bulb is poor. I'll try next a HID kit. Since I already got the assembly I'll try the better HID output light and see what the output is. Compare with the stockers, the stockers win. Light output is much better, plus the stockers dont change the look of your Cobra. I'm afraid with the HID the light leakage is going to blind other drivers. I'll post pics of the test with and without the HID.

Hope this help someone.

Last edited:

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Those lights are great on low beam but,
the problem is that you can't individualy adjust the low beam from the high beam if there like the ones stangmod sells.

I got a set a week ago and installed them and low beam was the best but the high beam was aimed well below the low beam so they were useless HID's.

I have ordered they bi'xenen replacement bulbs HID's for the stockers
and the high beam on those is better aimed the the projector type in the hid's.
I probably will use the 2nd hole on the bumper next to foglight to install a driving light to add to the stock high beams later on.

I hate top bash anyone but if the 2 lights/beams are not adjustable independently the light its self is useless w/o a properly aimed high and low beam so not to blind oncoming traffic.

I have a set of true BI-Xenon lights in my Audi that I got ECE euro projectors and high beam relectors and once you see those work ,
all the americam copy crap is just that "Crap".

I love american stuff but as far as headlights/projectors the euro competition has won hands down cause they understand the pattern of lights and know they have to adjust independently.

Later all

1luckysob

Established Member
Projectors on a mustang are super gay. I would say get the black housing headlights with clear corners.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I know the stock assembly wont work. I have heard the HID's will cause the assembly to melt and it also does not work as well as a projector would.

HID's burn cooler than Halogens so the 1st statement is false. I have HID's in my headlamp and foglamp housings with zero issues. The latter is true though the stock housings are not ideal for harnessing the beam and it does scatter around the edges. As long as you readjust your headlamps to the stock beam height you won't get flashed. I haven't yet.

On a side note I had the same type of Ebay projector housing on my '05 F150 and there were notes all over the instructions and a sticker on the housing itself that read, "not for used with HID bulbs."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread