Using the Freedom Racing valve spring tool

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I have a car coming in tomorrow for valve spring swap. He has the Freedom Racing tool. I watched the video online which shows it being used with the camshafts out of the way. It can be used with the cams in, which is what we are going to do.

Here's my question. The cams sit directly on the followers which are keyed into the lash adjusters, which drop into the head nearly an inch. I can't picture getting the springs out with the followers parked on top of 'em.

I would imagine you use the tool to compress the valve springs with the piston down near BDC, then snake the lash adjusters out. Then go to TDC, lock the crank in place and air the cylinders, swap the springs. Rinse and repeat.

Sound about right?

stang8psi

Established Member
I used that tool on my heads, but they were off the motor. I think the valves are going to drop so make sure to have the piston tdc on the one you are removing otherwise it can get a bit tricky getting it back up if it did or does drop.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
We've swapped springs on heads before but we used a hollowed spark plug with a air nozzle welded in to supply enough air pressure to keep the valve afloat. Worked good but def not something I reccomend on a daily basis

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
We've swapped springs on heads before but we used a hollowed spark plug with a air nozzle welded in to supply enough air pressure to keep the valve afloat. Worked good but def not something I reccomend on a daily basis

Ive done the same thing with using a cylinder leak down tester.

-Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread