Very annoying high pitch whine after driveshaft installation, HELP pls.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Tob,

I recently installed a DSS Carbon Fiber 1 piece on my car. Guess what, it increased the volume of decel whine I get after letting off the throttle. I first noticed the noise after I installed all BMR suspension. To counter the noise, I installed Red Line Heavy Shockproof and a Ford Racing aluminum cover. The noise didn't change at all.

After installing the new DSS CF shaft, the noise is worse. I have exposed a faulty install of OEM 3.15 gears. However, taking it my dealer to have them install new gears is likely a waste, since the car isn't stock.

sloppymax

Established Member
Tob,

I recently installed a DSS Carbon Fiber 1 piece on my car. Guess what, it increased the volume of decel whine I get after letting off the throttle. I first noticed the noise after I installed all BMR suspension. To counter the noise, I installed Red Line Heavy Shockproof and a Ford Racing aluminum cover. The noise didn't change at all.

After installing the new DSS CF shaft, the noise is worse. I have exposed a faulty install of OEM 3.15 gears. However, taking it my dealer to have them install new gears is likely a waste, since the car isn't stock.

Did you attempt to reclock the DS at all? I tried 3 separate times. Initial had small vibration at 45-50, second had vibration at 50-55 then third had no vibration but the decel whine from 60-50. I elected to go with the whine in hopes of masking it with the Red Line heavy but looks like that is out. It is no intolerable but is certainly annoying, especially with the window down. This is with an aluminum DSS.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
you'd be surprised how much gear noise the 8.8" actually creates from the factory. You'd never hear it until the new poly bushing upper control arm is installed. My 2009 gt500 rear end was dead silent, until i added the upper. I could hear a slight high pitch whine from the rear end after that.

^^^this^^^
After the install of the adjustable upper control arm. I hear a lot more drive line noise. I was expecting it due to the harder bushings on the new upper control arm.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Well something is a miss i have dss aluminum installed and no noise no vibration at all. Are you guys at a minimum of -2 on the pinion angle? At first i didnt set mine when i got my shaft, had a little vibration and noise , then when i set mine, it went away. Yes even though its a cv joint the pinion angle adjustment can help dial it in!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
You guys may want to consider the roush anti wheel hop mount. I spoke to a roush rep about pinion angle since its not adjustable. He said they use the mount on their extreme suspension set up which is lowered 1.25 all the way round and have no issue with pinion angle. The roush mount is contructed of thicker materials then stock in fact its metal thickness is the same as a bmr or steeda mount. The difference is the roush mount has a harder durometer rubber bushing then stock, which makes it the quietest mount that is also strong! I must say when i added my steeda adjustable uca mount and bracket i did get a little more noise, but after getting used to it i dont notice it anymore!

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Well something is a miss i have dss aluminum installed and no noise no vibration at all. Are you guys at a minimum of -2 on the pinion angle? At first i didnt set mine when i got my shaft, had a little vibration and noise , then when i set mine, it went away. Yes even though its a cv joint the pinion angle adjustment can help dial it in!

I have no vibration at all, only gear whine. Testing different pinion angles also made no difference. Currently, it's perfectly set at -2*

It really depends on how noisy your 8.8" is from the factory. With the HEAVY 2 piece factory shaft, gear installers don't have to be very specific. That thing absorbs some noise.

Users who are viewing this thread