VIDEO=Doc's GTO Vs. Modded 04 Cobra

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
awesome video and car doc.
there is no replacement for displacement, those gto's have big motors and when you add a blower on that they move out very nicely.

MMA Fan

Established Member
Doc GTO said:
I guess so. It took me $1800 to get my goat in the 11s from 13.50s and then another $3500 to get it into the 10s, but I changed out my main power adder from N2O to a supercharger. I could have spent less and gave it a bigger shot but I wanted that power all the time!

Quick question, you said you moved into the 11's with $ 1800 and into the 10's with $ 3500 invested.

I see you have a blower, all the vortech kits I see for the GTO are over $ 5000, can you clear this up by chance?

I have a friend with a GTO and he is always going on about how easy and affordable it is to mod the cars, so when I saw your #'s and your mods list and your costs, something didn't add up.

Patisi

Established Member
MMA Fan said:
Quick question, you said you moved into the 11's with $ 1800 and into the 10's with $ 3500 invested.

I see you have a blower, all the vortech kits I see for the GTO are over $ 5000, can you clear this up by chance?

I have a friend with a GTO and he is always going on about how easy and affordable it is to mod the cars, so when I saw your #'s and your mods list and your costs, something didn't add up.

Here is my perspective on the S/C cost factor right off the bat. The '04s were generally cheaper than the Snake to buy brabd new, in fact much cheaper. So if you add the typical 4 - 5K it costs to add forced induction to that car, it is either a tad less than my Snake (04) or close but NOT more than my Snake. Even when the O4 Snakes were sitting and languishing at the SVT dealership lots they were not to had for cheaper. Guys, don't forget that. Heck, my '05 GTO M6 cost less than my Mid Year '04 Snake, with all the GM incentives that were available at the time to buy them.

I wonder how many here bought their Terminators for less than 33K brand new from the SVT dealership? Be honest, I know a bunch of us that bought our '05 Goats for less than or about 30K brand new. And at the time we bought our '05s Goats, there were a lot of '04s still on the lot. Now you know you can pick up a very good condition '04 slap on an S/C and run with the Snake for still less than you can get a used Snake today simply go to eBay and look it up

So to make the argument that it cost a lot to put a S/C in an '04 is to also consider how much it costs to buy the 04 in the first place. Especially if you made the purchase in in late 04 or later on.

MMA Fan

Established Member
I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but I always see people making comments about, oh it only cost me this much to go this fast.

I was looking at docs mods list and he says he spent $ 4800, looks like theres more than that in his first line alone.

My friend has an 05 GTO and always goes on about how he can do all these things but when we work out prices for "everything" thats needed to do the job it ends up being alot more, I have to knock him down a few pegs.

l8nightsvt

Established Member
Got my 04 cobra for 28k, after warranty and additional it was in the low 30s but still much less than 33k

Patisi said:
Here is my perspective on the S/C cost factor right off the bat. The '04s were generally cheaper than the Snake to buy brabd new, in fact much cheaper. So if you add the typical 4 - 5K it costs to add forced induction to that car, it is either a tad less than my Snake (04) or close but NOT more than my Snake. Even when the O4 Snakes were sitting and languishing at the SVT dealership lots they were not to had for cheaper. Guys, don't forget that. Heck, my '05 GTO M6 cost less than my Mid Year '04 Snake, with all the GM incentives that were available at the time to buy them.

I wonder how many here bought their Terminators for less than 33K brand new from the SVT dealership? Be honest, I know a bunch of us that bought our '05 Goats for less than or about 30K brand new. And at the time we bought our '05s Goats, there were a lot of '04s still on the lot. Now you know you can pick up a very good condition '04 slap on an S/C and run with the Snake for still less than you can get a used Snake today simply go to eBay and look it up

So to make the argument that it cost a lot to put a S/C in an '04 is to also consider how much it costs to buy the 04 in the first place. Especially if you made the purchase in in late 04 or later on.

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
isn't there labor in there as well...or did he do all the labor himself...tuning etc, no peripheral costs? I don't believe just 4k will get a stock GTO into the 10's...

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member

JMD0346

Established Member
Does it realy matter what any of this shit cost? I mean I do it to go fast. Not compare how much was spent.

Good kill Doc. An LSanything is not to be taken lightly. Especially FI. Cobra's arent the best roll racers. They suffer from heat soak terribly and the roots style is good for low-mid-range power.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Doc GTO said:
Stock bottom end. The LS1 has 6 bolt mains from the factory and with a safe tune can handle up to 650 rwhp.

I don't think that anyone with any brains at all will shove 650 hp through the stock pistons in a LS1.. (also the powdered metal rods can't be that strong)

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
I don't think that anyone with any brains at all will shove 650 hp through the stock pistons in a LS1.. (also the powdered metal rods can't be that strong)

you might want to check the 4th or the 6th car on this list, the others are just ls2's or a little 455, but what do we know right ? :)

http://www.turboconnectionracing.com/inf/GTO.html

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Bluegoat06 said:
you might want to check the 4th or the 6th car on this list, the others are just ls2's or a little 455, but what do we know right ? :)

http://www.turboconnectionracing.com/inf/GTO.html

That doesnt mean its good for the engine. Just because someone does it. Strictly performance pegged the Tq reading on their dyno with their 03 Cobra. Stock engine. Doesnt mean we can all do it.

And what is a little 455?

lilbuddy1587

Banned
Silver2003Cobra said:

Had a gentleman with 800+rwhp turbo ls1 running through a stock block 13x,xxx miles(Quater mile performance, QMP) that held together for quite some time(40-45 passes ?) up until it popped of course. So it can hold it, just like any engine can. It's just a matter of how long the fuse is ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread