VIDEO=Doc's GTO Vs. Modded 04 Cobra

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
That doesnt mean its good for the engine. Just because someone does it. Strictly performance pegged the Tq reading on their dyno with their 03 Cobra. Stock engine. Doesnt mean we can all do it.
And what is a little 455?

i think is all about money, the more money you have the more options and power you can make. in this case, it wasn't only one guy or a shop who were able to replicate the amout of power from a ls1 or ls2 engine, is been done more than once, with success so far, so.., would i try to pump 600rwhp out of my stock engine...... ??, well, if i had the money i will. :)
i think you will do the same to your termi if you had the money, how much hp can the stock terminator engine support, wasn't something like 800rwhp ?

and that little 455 is nothing but a 455ci engine, i was just trying to make fun of it :)

Last edited:

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
MMA Fan said:
Quick question, you said you moved into the 11's with $ 1800 and into the 10's with $ 3500 invested.

I see you have a blower, all the vortech kits I see for the GTO are over $ 5000, can you clear this up by chance?

I have a friend with a GTO and he is always going on about how easy and affordable it is to mod the cars, so when I saw your #'s and your mods list and your costs, something didn't add up.

That's because I bought the Vortech used for $2700. It was used by the original owner for 7 months then he decided to get another car so off came the S/C and that's when I picked it up.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
MMA Fan said:
I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but I always see people making comments about, oh it only cost me this much to go this fast.

I was looking at docs mods list and he says he spent $ 4800, looks like theres more than that in his first line alone.

My friend has an 05 GTO and always goes on about how he can do all these things but when we work out prices for "everything" thats needed to do the job it ends up being alot more, I have to knock him down a few pegs.

Not when you get aftermarket parts 2nd hand. I'm great at getting things slightly used. Guys buy a product and try it for a month and then change it out. That's where I pick it up for 1/2 or almost half price. I'm a patient person. As far as other mods (i.e. suspension and brakes - they don't make me go fast in a straight line so I didn't add those in).

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
suprjagr said:
isn't there labor in there as well...or did he do all the labor himself...tuning etc, no peripheral costs? I don't believe just 4k will get a stock GTO into the 10's...

A good buddy who owns a shop does the work and I help out. That keeps labor costs down. Also, get all the parts first before you install, that way you don't make numerous trips to the installer.

This isn't brain surgery, it's commom sense.

MMA Fan

Established Member
So in your case you were able to do that.

That blower kit is a fantastic deal for $ 2700, maybe you can hook me up with some deals like that.

Most can't mod that car in that manner, as far as the deals and cheap/free labor go.

Anyhow nice going.

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
It was nice to see a race in the daylight. I think that the chase/camera car actually accelerating behind them gave the illusion that they were not 'moving out'. Nice Video!

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Mighty Rooster said:
It was nice to see a race in the daylight. I think that the chase/camera car actually accelerating behind them gave the illusion that they were not 'moving out'. Nice Video!

Never thought of that. His car is a 12 sec car.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
I don't think that anyone with any brains at all will shove 650 hp through the stock pistons in a LS1.. (also the powdered metal rods can't be that strong)
I agree 650rwhp is a lot for stock LS1 internals, from my reckoning 550rwhp is a much more realistic limit.

Having said that there are plenty of guys over at ls1tech.com running over 600rwhp on stock internals, mostly the STS turbo guys. Some last and some don't.

But seriously there's always been this thing (on the web anyhow) that LS1's can't be supercharged or that they don't last. I used to read endless crap about it over at Stangnet, where they where convinced ALL Ls1's would blow up and split the block kind of thing even on 5psi.

It's all rubbish the Ls1 handles and repsonds to boost very well. There are a lot of guys making upwards of 650rwhp and no shortage of contenders making 800rwhp+ on built blocks.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
JoyRydn 03 said:
One thing for certain! It cost you a hellva alot of coin to beat the cobra!!
Another thing to consider is to remember that Doc's GTO is making 540rwhp.

Which is hardly just there to beat stock Terminators. To get a Terminator upto that level of HP is going to really require a twin screw swap so cost wise it's probably not a lot of difference to slapping a blower onto a LS1.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Doc GTO said:
A good buddy who owns a shop does the work and I help out. That keeps labor costs down. Also, get all the parts first before you install, that way you don't make numerous trips to the installer.

This isn't brain surgery, it's commom sense.

If you turn wrenches yourself it saves a ton of dough. Some people don't like it when a car is faster than their own. I always go into it thinking there is always someone that will be faster. That GTO of your's moves out on the top end.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Another thing to consider is to remember that Doc's GTO is making 540rwhp.

Which is hardly just there to beat stock Terminators. To get a Terminator upto that level of HP is going to really require a twin screw swap so cost wise it's probably not a lot of difference to slapping a blower onto a LS1.

There are a lot of Cobra's near that level on ported eaton. The twin screw will take you past that level easily.

RixSikcobra04

plan b said:
There are a lot of Cobra's near that level on ported eaton. The twin screw will take you past that level easily.

Mine is right at 540 w/ported Eaton/pullies, but I have cams, also. On the juice(like Doc has), it's WAY over 540.

Nonetheless, nice kill and awesome vid...both of those rides sounded saaaweet.:rockon:

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
RixSikCobra said:
Mine is right at 540 w/ported Eaton/pullies, but I have cams, also. On the juice(like Doc has), it's WAY over 540.

Nonetheless, nice kill and awesome vid...both of those rides sounded saaaweet.:rockon:

Yep, mine is 540 off the spray with a very safe tune. On the spray it's at 585. I could run more but, at this point, why? I'm already getting the boot from the drgstrip until the cage goes in!

RixSikcobra04

Doc GTO said:
Yep, mine is 540 off the spray with a very safe tune. On the spray it's at 585. I could run more but, at this point, why? I'm already getting the boot from the drgstrip until the cage goes in!

:coolman: I understand. Get some vid when you're done:burnout:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
plan b said:
Yeah that's my point. Eaton only gets most NEAR, and can suffer badly from heat soak.

But yeah KB/Whipple is cool :coolman: I mean add another 70-100rwhp on top :D But how much does it cost to upgrade to a twin screw?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Yeah that's my point. Eaton only gets most NEAR, and can suffer badly from heat soak.

But yeah KB/Whipple is cool :coolman: I mean add another 70-100rwhp on top :D But how much does it cost to upgrade to a twin screw?

cost too much for what you get out of it! I say spray or turbo... forget about the twinscrew :kaboom:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Does it realy matter what any of this shit cost? I mean I do it to go fast. Not compare how much was spent.

Good kill Doc. An LSanything is not to be taken lightly. Especially FI. Cobra's arent the best roll racers. They suffer from heat soak terribly and the roots style is good for low-mid-range power.

yea cobras arent too good from a roll with the Heaton... I dunno how many times I tell people! its all about from a stop baby! thats why you got to have the traction!

Users who are viewing this thread