VooDoo Blows up

Status
Not open for further replies.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
The only reason I might go easy on a brand new car is to see if it develops any weird noises before hitting it harder. Mainly so if it breaks, the damage might be limited. I doubt the break-in procedures are to eliminate catastrophic failures, more so to avoid longer term problems like ring seating, oil burning, etc.

I can see where u are going with your thinking and understand it. My thought is if there is a latent manufacturing defect, then it will show itself regardless.

You can baby it for a 100 miles, but if its already ready to break, it will break soon thereafter.

From what I can tell, Ford is watching these cars like hawks and rather replace the full engine so they can get it back for forensics over letting the dealer tear the motor apart and attempt repairs.........Steve

cloud9

Established Member
So far Ford has addressed mechanically related issues with the GT350 in short order or nipped them in the bud, if you will. They should be credited for it as much as it'd be nice if they didn't arise in the first place.
Yes sir and I credit them by buying exclusively Ford. I have 13 currently including several in the last few months: 2016 E350 cutaway, T250 Transit, F-150 3.5 EB (tow rig) and the GT350. Barring any unmentioned twin turbo kit I'm sure he will have a new engine from Ford very soon. Their quality is outstanding and they take care of problems when they do happen.

10splaya22

Established Member
Kind of contradicting yourself here.

There is a big difference between abuse and driving hard. Its not like he started the car cold and went WOT. Hitting 7k RPM's in the first 100 miles is not an issue as stated in the owners manual.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why would you pay msrp or whatever plus a mark up and not be able to drive the car like its intended to be driven, makes no sense . Ford should have this car hot to trot from the get go. I see so many of these posts about break in crap. There are so many people who are car dumb and don't know what break in is over all. Across all manufacturers cars need to be finished and ready for what ever, your paying for it!

How your car gets fixed OP. Ask Ford to break in engine prior to install!

A lot of people are gun dumb and don't know anything about handling a firearm with care.

If you buy a car, you're car dumb, you don't understand the manual; that's your fault, not the manufacturers.

(Not saying that's what happened with the OP, just didn't like how you worded it to exclude people from liability)

blk02edge

Established Member
The only reason I might go easy on a brand new car is to see if it develops any weird noises before hitting it harder. Mainly so if it breaks, the damage might be limited. I doubt the break-in procedures are to eliminate catastrophic failures, more so to avoid longer term problems like ring seating, oil burning, etc.

From what I gather, that break in period is for clutch and gears, probably takes 30seconds to ' break in' a modern motor

8gtoklr

Established Member
A lot of people are gun dumb and don't know anything about handling a firearm with care.

If you buy a car, you're car dumb, you don't understand the manual; that's your fault, not the manufacturers.

(Not saying that's what happened with the OP, just didn't like how you worded it to exclude people from liability)

Does the firearm come with a manual that states to break in your weapon no shooting consecutive bullets due to the risk of overheating and premature failure. or using weapon after cooling off period may void warranty.

My point is why are we buying things we cant use as advertised.... One example the Nissan GTR launch control. I am sure Fords press cars weren't broken in

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
From what I gather, that break in period is for clutch and gears, probably takes 30seconds to ' break in' a modern motor

"break in" procedures on modern day engines have absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever. One of the biggest myths out there amongst car enthusiast. I'm not even sure why they put it in the manuals. I would guess less than 5% of people are aware of any special procedure.

As a powertrain engineer for over 7yrs i can tell you that when a new engine program is undergoing validation testing there is no "babying" the engine for the first few miles. The engines are assembled, put into a dyno and immediately go to full load test for over 1,000hrs.

If there are material or assembly defects and/or design flaws no amount of "break in" will prevent the failure or extend the life of the engine. :nono:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
"break in" procedures on modern day engines have absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever. One of the biggest myths out there amongst car enthusiast. I'm not even sure why they put it in the manuals. I would guess less than 5% of people are aware of any special procedure.

As a powertrain engineer for over 7yrs i can tell you that when a new engine program is undergoing validation testing there is no "babying" the engine for the first few miles. The engines are assembled, put into a dyno and immediately go to full load test for over 1,000hrs.

If there are material or assembly defects and/or design flaws no amount of "break in" will prevent the failure or extend the life of the engine. :nono:

This.

krt22

Established Member

:beer::beer:

AGCSR25

Established Member
Unless there is a materials defect, design flaw or assembly problem on these engines there should not be a catastrophic failure unless an overspeed/overrev condition occurred.(Regardless of breakin..just my engineering opinion) Tob, do we know for sure that the connecting rods in the production engines are traditional drop forged with fracture split caps or did they go with sintered/powder forged rods? (just curious)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob, do we know for sure that the connecting rods in the production engines are traditional drop forged with fracture split caps or did they go with sintered/powder forged rods? (just curious)

That's a good question. When I attended the Powertrain Reveal this past summer in Detroit I pressed as best I could for clarity on the matter as much as the term "forged" was mentioned numerous times with reference to various rotating assembly components. Adam Christian, THE man when it comes to 5.2 development at Ford (he's an ICE engineer), wrote me after the event with additional information.

Tob said:
I received a response to some further inquiry from Adam this morning. The connecting rods are indeed forged and not a powder forging. The material is known as 46Mn. My sense is that it is 46MnVS6 and here's why. The connecting rod manufacturer was never specified but my guess is that the piston/rod module was supplied by the same supplier and the pistons are coming from Mahle. I pulled the following from an SAE paper on ultra-lightweight connecting rods. My logic is that Ford was looking for a high-strength, low-weight material, suitable for fracture splitting and use in this high rpm capable powerplant.
From this post.

IMG_7785-%20w%20svtp%20wm.jpg

65sohc

Established Member
Years ago I attended a Porsche Owners Club Reunion in Lake Tahoe. It included a tour of the Porsche western US port of entry which as I recall was in Reno. Several things stand out in my memory from that decades ago trip: Damage during transit was significant enough that they had a dedicated bodyshop. All cars were run full bore on a dyno to insure they were making the appropriate power, after which they were taken on a 20 mile test drive to be sure there were no driveability problems. There was a 911 with a bizarre paint job awaiting delivery. It had been special ordered by Bill Cosby.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member

cant tell if you are trying to correct me or not but thats pretty much what Ive been saying

AGCSR25

Established Member
Not to hijack this thread but I think Tob put the pieces of the puzzle together on the connecting rods.
I spoke with some sources in Ford Racing and they were able to confirm that the production GT350 rod was a micro alloy fracture split steel rod supplied by Mahle. I don't know if it is the 46MnVS6 but it sure looks like it with all the evidence provided by Tob.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Most of these cars do not require engine break in, ford already does that. Its the other drivetrain parts that need it. This ain't a chevy. This is either defect or user error bouncing the rev limiter

65sohc

Established Member
Most of these cars do not require engine break in, ford already does that. Its the other drivetrain parts that need it. This ain't a chevy. This is either defect or user error bouncing the rev limiter

Actually the 8250 redline is time-limited to I think 9 or 10 seconds, after which revs automatically drop so Ford took that into account.

72SBC

Established Member

Explain the S2000 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread