VooDoo Blows up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluscher

Established Member
Well thanks Jodie....sorry about the "she" thing. There's just not enough of you ladies around so we make assumptions. Glad to have ya. Did you happen to get any exposure to the voodoo before you retired?

AGCSR25

Established Member
Do you think the current misfire is an anomaly not related to the initial failure? Since the master tech brought it up, I'm hopeful he'll chime in too.
I don't know but if they are related I think it is an anomaly with that vehicle and not endemic to the voodoo engine. I say this because of how quickly there has been an issue with two engines in the same car. With the number of hours in this engine's validation testing and quite a few people including myself driving a GT350 without incident I find it difficult to believe it would not have reared its head in other engines. I am not saying that an engine design issue can't make it into production but it just doesn't happen in two engines in approximately 200 miles or you need new engineers (imho). The other engine "failure" mentioned here is unrelated and had to be an assembly error. Properly torqued bolts do not loosen and come out of bell housings in less than 100 miles even with a FPC engine's inherent second order vibration.

cluscher

Established Member
Appreciate the candid reply, which validates my thoughts about the voodoo program in general. The testing that went into this powerplant and complimentary setup had to be more than extensive. That said, do you think the longevity of this setup will be comparable to the coyote or mod motors, which were uber mod friendly and robust long past their warranty expiration, or is this a different animal that requires a bit more conservative approach and care. For example, the thought of a better flowing intake with a complimentary tune, or routine exhaust mods is uncomfortable territory for some.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I am very sad that you are going through this much trouble. I was the guy whose bolt came loose and locked my motor.

In the end, I kept my original engine and Ford wanted the transmission back without it being touched. So they sent a replacement.

The servicing was flawlessly performed by my dealer and the car is running great with close to 1K miles now.

There is no way this is on you and you are just hitting a bunch of bad luck and do not deserve it.

I am sure Ford will resolve this issue for you, but something is not right with the car if a new motor smokes itself in the same chassis.

I wish you the best and that you are on the road ASAP........Steve

Flying Harley

Established Member
OK good news. The car is back together and running great. I'll get into details tomorrow. But with recalibration and software updates they got the motor running perfect. I can answer questions tomorrow.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
OK good news. The car is back together and running great. I'll get into details tomorrow. But with recalibration and software updates they got the motor running perfect. I can answer questions tomorrow.

Congratulations that is great news and I am happy for you. Look forward to hearing about the resolution........Steve

Capt_Mahognutz

Established Member
Since your issues were resolved completely, we'd all love to hear what you were told that you held back from passing on to us right away. Congrats on Ford making you whole again. Sounds like they did a speedy job on resolving the issues. Makes me feel much more confident in my desire to purchase a '17, after seeing the moco stand behind the product 100%. So log on, tell us all the little dirty secrets that they told you, and then go play with your snake. The one with an engine in it :D

cluscher

Established Member
Gosh, as impossible as that sounds, unfortunately that could be possible.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
As someone who's experienced catastrophic engine failure like this on a new car, I think you should try and get your money back ASAP. There's lemon law timing but this is Ford's baby and you could raise enough of a stink to maybe win. What sucks is this: you'll never have piece of mind driving a car after this happens. No way the car will be as tight as a rock solid one from the factory. You'll just always be waiting for the next light to come on. People who say, "just let them fix it and you'll be tearing up the road and no time" are just trying to make you feel better. But if it were their car, they'd be losing their shit.

I once had a brand new Chevy SSR (yes, that ugly chevy convertible pickup) detonate on me while driving down the highway. Chevy replaced the motor. Car had engine problems again. Chevy gave us our money back. Trust me. I'd get out while you have the most leverage.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
No way. Lower octane would never make an engine fail. That's a huge misconception people have. All hi octane engines can still operate with a lower octane.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
"A lower octane?" That's pretty open, isn't it? The threshold is usually 87.

After 8 years of modified GT500's, I can assure you, an engine pushed to the limit with lousy fuel can make for a very ugly ending. That is no misconception.

93oh

Established Member
I don't know the car should be broken in.. My m6 the indication was don't open the car up until over 1500 miles. Allows everything to seat up. Blasting it to 8500 rpm and with unknown fuel and no break in was kind of harsh. And exactly why you don't buy these cars used.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
As someone who's experienced catastrophic engine failure like this on a new car, I think you should try and get your money back ASAP. There's lemon law timing but this is Ford's baby and you could raise enough of a stink to maybe win. What sucks is this: you'll never have piece of mind driving a car after this happens. No way the car will be as tight as a rock solid one from the factory. You'll just always be waiting for the next light to come on. People who say, "just let them fix it and you'll be tearing up the road and no time" are just trying to make you feel better. But if it were their car, they'd be losing their shit.

I once had a brand new Chevy SSR (yes, that ugly chevy convertible pickup) detonate on me while driving down the highway. Chevy replaced the motor. Car had engine problems again. Chevy gave us our money back. Trust me. I'd get out while you have the most leverage.

I'm going to agree with this for another reason. Many of these cars will be bought and stuck in a garage, and never/rarely driven. It's not longer going to have the factory installed engine. To me that is diminished value.

AGCSR25

Established Member
No way. Lower octane would never make an engine fail. That's a huge misconception people have. All hi octane engines can still operate with a lower octane.
That is a potentially disastrous, generalized statement.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
So apparently the OP only came here to cry about his car blowing up and now he's gone, not telling the whole story.
Now that he's got the car fixed he ran away? WTF ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread