Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svtracer

Established Member
Couldn't find the washers so had them ordered through the local napa store. Went to a buddy's shop put the car on the lift. I couldn't get the angle on the bolt at all. Im 6'4 and my hands are like bear paws. So one of the techs had a really cool looking tool that was perfect for the job. Put the washers in backed the car out and immediately noticed a huge difference. The shifting was smooth and the gears went in with little effort. Im running amsoil in the trans as well. Havent powershifted the car just yet the ground was fairly wet so didn't feel comfortable. I'll be headed to the track this weekend and def will give it a whirl. Great MOD!

dsmith26

Established Member
Did this mod last night. Was able to run through the gears about 3 times from the shop to the house and so far I can tell absolutely no difference. I'll post up if my opinion changes after more seat time.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Did this mod last night. Was able to run through the gears about 3 times from the shop to the house and so far I can tell absolutely no difference. I'll post up if my opinion changes after more seat time.

You can feel the difference immediately in just normal driving. You don't have to run it hard or anything. If you can't feel anything they either didn't install the two washers or you have a very stiff aftermarket shifter like a PRO 5.0. I've tried a few shifters over the years and the PRO 5.0 really suck out on the T56 as horrible. Worse than the stock shifter. It's a beast to get in gears. If you have the stock shifter or an aftermarket one that's easy to move such as an MGW then not sure why you can't tell the difference because it's very noticeable immediately driving the car.

gamebred26

Established Member
anyone try one or three washers? or two is the magic number?

32VALVR

Mach On!
Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a T56 swap on my Mach and am really on the fence with this one. The guy who sold me the box was aware of this mod but didn't do it because he said it shifted fine and didn't need it.
Anyone on this thread have lots of miles since doing it and what are your thoughts?
Coming with MGW.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I've had 3 different T-56s in different cars not including my magnum and they were all very notchy, all had MGWs. I would do the mod before you put it in.

my98stang46

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a T56 swap on my Mach and am really on the fence with this one. The guy who sold me the box was aware of this mod but didn't do it because he said it shifted fine and didn't need it.
Anyone on this thread have lots of miles since doing it and what are your thoughts?
Coming with MGW.

Vette guys have been doing this for years...it's a safe mod. Just do it and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread