Wasn't going to...2013 svtpp rims...

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Yep, wasn't going to post this. Info for those interested now, and those affected in the future. This may go to court so I'm not going to elaborate too much on the specifics. On June 24, on my way home from work, a pallet-wooden skid- was in the middle of the highway. It fell off a pick-up truck by careless idiots who did not have it strapped down, nor the 4-5 other skids on this truck. You know what happened next...yes, my 2013 GT500 without a scratch on it hit it. All I can say is no, there was no way to avoid it. On June 26 my Ins. Co. sent me to the local Ford dealership to have it fixed...no body damage, but the lower air-dam and some other parts were replaced. After about a week, they called me to come look at the $2k rim that was replaced. From 80 ft. away I started laughing...yea that's not going to work, that is one bad aftermarket color...the service adviser advised me that Ford had sent it, and that their parts Mgr. was in touch with Ford higher ups as to why the color did not match. I did not take pics, but the color is a silvery/blue alloy color that looks nothing like the dark svtpp stock rims. So, I said ok...and they were waiting for a new Goodyear tire to come in and then perform a 4 wheel alignment to determine if anything else was whacked. I get a call on July 15 that my car was ready...same rim, new tire was mounted, 4 wheel alignment done, no other issues, all parts damaged replaced. AND that Ford didn't have a solution to the colored rim...that this was the replacement...and that was that. No rim at another time in the correct color, nothing. That is when I contacted my Ins. and Ford Customer Service. My Ins. said hey! We paid for a Ford replacement rim...that's on them! Ford customer service took down all the Info. and I have been in contact with them ever since. Supposedly there are multiple people looking into this, and a shipment of these rims is coming in and they are supposed to see if there any darker ones in the lot. I was told Fri, if they cant match it, worse case they will replace all 4 rims. I forgot to ask if I can keep the other 3, I guess I assumed, but I know I'd better make that clear. I do not like the color of the new rims and would rather find a excellent used 19"svtpp rim in the future and put all the stock rims back on. This is just totally ridiculous to me, Ford built 10,000 of these cars and just like I have said before...Why is there not 300 or 400 of these rims sitting in a warehouse? How can an original Manufacturer who just completed MY2014 not have the correct colored $2,000.00 rim on hand? I'd expect this from Chevrolet, but not Ford. Anyone else been through this?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Can you post a picture? Also, maybe you can find a replacement on ebay.. it might be used but at least the color might match? If Ford doesn't do right by you, which would be weird, you might try contacting Helios and see if they are willing to redo your wheels.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
A friend has a 13 PP and his rims are almost black, very dark. In contrast, my 14 PP has rims that are much lighter and have a blue/chrome look. Almost like bluing on a gun on my 14 rims. He and I always thought it was odd the rims were different. He purchased his car new and me the same, so they had not been jacked with prior to our ownership.

Tom

Last edited:

big_ole_truck

Established Member
Except getting another rim from Ford and hoping it matches, I see two choices: buy a set of used PP wheels or get the wheels repainted. Black chrome would look good imho.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
That would make some sense of it. If they changed the color on the '14s or sometime in production, and now are pawning off this color only as a replacement. That doesn't fly in the real world...My '13 was built in early May of '12, there has to be documentation at Ford of the original rim color...for whatever reason, switched vendors, decided to change color etc. Someone needs to mix some "old" pp dark color up and shoot a rim. If not, then what they are saying is in fact...all Shelby owners with dark pp rims youre shit out of luck if you need a replacement. I'll take that set of this new color...just to get my car back, but I want my 3 other original stock rims that will be going back on in the future. I still don't have a clue in the year 2014 how Ford could screw this up?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
That is odd. There is a company who does the finish on the PP wheels for Ford, and it is a very specific process, and they should all come out the same. A friend of mine just had his base wheels done by this company and they are a perfect match to my PP wheels.

GT500WheelPaint_zps6cb3d031.gif

10480969_10202505774632227_4025318849981479186_n.jpg

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Coupe-2014-Shelby-GT500-Coupe-1-500-Miles-Loaded-To-The-Max-M-S-R-P-67-540-/201135499159?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed49c2797&item=201135499159&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I was going through ebay looking at MY'14s and came across this black GT500...see how lighter the rims are? This is what Ford sent the Dealership as a replacement for my '13. Doesn't match and isn't even close. Waiting for a phone call today from Customer Service....

Here is a link to my '13...big difference in color even in the sun...

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/2HottScott/media/2013%20Ford%20SVT%20Shelby%20GT500/e6439aeb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=32

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Coupe-2014-Shelby-GT500-Coupe-1-500-Miles-Loaded-To-The-Max-M-S-R-P-67-540-/201135499159?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed49c2797&item=201135499159&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I was going through ebay looking at MY'14s and came across this black GT500...see how lighter the rims are? This is what Ford sent the Dealership as a replacement for my '13. Doesn't match and isn't even close. Waiting for a phone call today from Customer Service....
To me, that black gt500's wheels are typical of different light angles on the pp wheels. That effect is why I love the performance pack finish. After reading carguy19's post, I'm going to agree with him. I'd guess your dealership fixed the wheel, and couldn't match the paint process because one level of that paint is not available. It is impossible to perfectly match the Helios process(without Helios). This is why there's no way to touch up the wheels.

GT500662

Established Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406636525.090412.jpg

6 miles were on the car when these were pulled off and my Alcoa's were installed. Not really for sale...but I guess everything is for the right price

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
View attachment 21206

6 miles were on the car when these were pulled off and my Alcoa's were installed. Not really for sale...but I guess everything is for the right price

I'll tell you what, if the dealership takes that rim off and gives me the $2,000.00 the Ins. co. paid them for one...I'd offer that $2k to you in a second for them 4 purdy wheels! lol

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Yep, wasn't going to post this. Info for those interested now, and those affected in the future. This may go to court so I'm not going to elaborate too much on the specifics. On June 24, on my way home from work, a pallet-wooden skid- was in the middle of the highway. It fell off a pick-up truck by careless idiots who did not have it strapped down, nor the 4-5 other skids on this truck. You know what happened next...yes, my 2013 GT500 without a scratch on it hit it. All I can say is no, there was no way to avoid it. On June 26 my Ins. Co. sent me to the local Ford dealership to have it fixed...no body damage, but the lower air-dam and some other parts were replaced. After about a week, they called me to come look at the $2k rim that was replaced. From 80 ft. away I started laughing...yea that's not going to work, that is one bad aftermarket color...the service adviser advised me that Ford had sent it, and that their parts Mgr. was in touch with Ford higher ups as to why the color did not match. I did not take pics, but the color is a silvery/blue alloy color that looks nothing like the dark svtpp stock rims. So, I said ok...and they were waiting for a new Goodyear tire to come in and then perform a 4 wheel alignment to determine if anything else was whacked. I get a call on July 15 that my car was ready...same rim, new tire was mounted, 4 wheel alignment done, no other issues, all parts damaged replaced. AND that Ford didn't have a solution to the colored rim...that this was the replacement...and that was that. No rim at another time in the correct color, nothing. That is when I contacted my Ins. and Ford Customer Service. My Ins. said hey! We paid for a Ford replacement rim...that's on them! Ford customer service took down all the Info. and I have been in contact with them ever since. Supposedly there are multiple people looking into this, and a shipment of these rims is coming in and they are supposed to see if there any darker ones in the lot. I was told Fri, if they cant match it, worse case they will replace all 4 rims. I forgot to ask if I can keep the other 3, I guess I assumed, but I know I'd better make that clear. I do not like the color of the new rims and would rather find a excellent used 19"svtpp rim in the future and put all the stock rims back on. This is just totally ridiculous to me, Ford built 10,000 of these cars and just like I have said before...Why is there not 300 or 400 of these rims sitting in a warehouse? How can an original Manufacturer who just completed MY2014 not have the correct colored $2,000.00 rim on hand? I'd expect this from Chevrolet, but not Ford. Anyone else been through this?
Glad to learn you have us looking into this for you, TheOne2HotScott. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Deysha

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Well Today, 8/03/2014 marks some 38 days since I dropped my car off to be repaired. Talked to Ford Fri. 8/01/2014 with no update...will call back Tues. 8/05/2014 to let me know if they have come to a decision about what to do? It has been 5 weeks since Ford has known this rim does not match, and nearly 3 weeks since I contacted customer service of being "thrown" my car back with non matching "factory original parts". Tues. will be 40 days they have had it, and some 32 days they have known about this...call me tues. to tell me a decision? They've been calling me every 2 days since 7/15/2014 saying the same thing. Enough is enough!! This is PURE INCOMPETENCE!!

It is by luck that I was in the middle of buying my wife her next vehicle...her choices were Mustang GT '14, '14 Camaro SS, or a '14 Honda Accord EXL 6. I was going to take a day off and we'd go around and have her drive all 3. I have been working internet deals with all 3 and upfront about how the decision will be made, knowing all along the Accord would probably win out and I'd push for the Mustang. Not anymore, we will not even consider Ford for her new purchase now.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you need to find proof the replacement was truly a new Ford part, not 'refurbished' from Ford or done by the local mobile wheel dealership guy.
If you've paid attention to recent wheel threads or did a search, you'll see only one company does the finish and the specific paint/process can't exactly be duplicated.
I know it sucks when you're a perfectionist, but big picture is that even if you're boned by Ford, you should be able to find a replacement here for reasonable money here.
As mentioned,MIT is very tough to photograph and even in person changes per light conditions, but I'm sure in person if you're detail oriented you can tell if it's not right.
My money is it's not a new OEM wheel, but 'refurbished' (even if still from Ford) or locally refinished.
Good luck.
-J

victorc

Established Member
Well Today, 8/03/2014 marks some 38 days since I dropped my car off to be repaired.

Sounds like a call for help to me, Deysha.

OP, It's pretty crazy to end up feeling this way after spending this kind of money, lots of us have been there. It's an expensive lesson but I also know that I won't be buying Ford again, at least not with any expectation of respectful service.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Bimini is right. The wheel was fixed locally. Most all of my local dealers, not just Ford, use a roaming wheel guy to straighten and refinish their rims.

Tom

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Sounds like a call for help to me, Deysha.

OP, It's pretty crazy to end up feeling this way after spending this kind of money, lots of us have been there. It's an expensive lesson but I also know that I won't be buying Ford again, at least not with any expectation of respectful service.
Thanks for the support, victorc!

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread