What does everyone carry?

blackvette101

Established Member
Depending on outfit

NAA mini revolver .22 mag (necklace carry)
Sig 938 9mm (pocket carry)
XDS .45 (IWB)
Glock 30s .45 (IWB)
Springfield TRP .45 (shoulder holster)
Glock 20 10mm (hiking gun eastern continental US)
Ruger snubnose super redhawk .454 casull (hiking gun western us/alaska)

Last edited:

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Winter: S&W M&P 9c with a DeSantis IWB holster

Summer: Just picked up a Glock 43 and I have a Boraii Eagle Pocket carry holster or Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
^^^ Why is Serpa holster "much hated"?

Retention is one reason... people claim that these holsters are not as secure as some of the other options. Honestly, I agree with this statement- but I still like the holsters for normal range use.

One other I've heard is the opportunity to ram loose shirts or other pieces of gear down into the holster during a re-holster and potentially causing a ND. I have seen people stuff a whole side of their T-shirt into their paddle holsters, but never seen a ND result from it. I do know one instructor who witnessed it during a dry weapon exercise when an elastic strap on a coat pocket zipper caught the trigger on the way in.

The main thing is a host of negligent discharges from people really ramming the trigger finger home on the release, then riding it into the trigger well on the draw and letting a round fly unintentionally. I don't buy into this, but a bunch of people do.

At the end of the day the basic firearm safety rules are paramount and no amount of gear or legislation can negate that.

Blown 89

Established Member
There have been instances of people depressing the release and the pressure places their finger on to the trigger on the way out. I know a guy whose wife shot her self in the foot doing just that. The link below is cued up to a slow motion of that. Ironically it's a on a video telling us how they aren't dangerous:
https://youtu.be/LJ2Qg4xwHgg?t=2m23s

That being said I have a Serpa holster for a Ruger SR9.

MFE

Established Member

Because they've been involved in an inordinate amount of negligent discharges. They require you to apply pressure with your trigger finger to a release on the side of the holster, and if you draw fast enough, it's too easy to have residual pressure on your index finger cause it to slap the trigger as the gun clears the holster. My old neighbor, Federal LEO, shooting instructor for his force, tens of thousands of rounds down range, shot himself through the right foot that way, as have hundreds of others. I wouldn't carry one if they paid me to. Now, 3..2...1..."keep your goddamned finger off the trigger blah blah blahbbety blah" Easier said than done when the design practically puts your finger there in the first place.

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Does anyone carry appendix? Is TucTite the way to go? $130+ is pretty steep for a holster and I've found a few (significantly) cheaper options. But a good holster is worth the money and, based on appearances, the TucTite is a better product.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
LCP with an extended mag. I don't have much room to hid anything legit, especially in the summer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There have been instances of people depressing the release and the pressure places their finger on to the trigger on the way out. I know a guy whose wife shot her self in the foot doing just that. The link below is cued up to a slow motion of that. Ironically it's a on a video telling us how they aren't dangerous:
https://youtu.be/LJ2Qg4xwHgg?t=2m23s

That being said I have a Serpa holster for a Ruger SR9.

Thanks for the info.

Because they've been involved in an inordinate amount of negligent discharges. They require you to apply pressure with your trigger finger to a release on the side of the holster, and if you draw fast enough, it's too easy to have residual pressure on your index finger cause it to slap the trigger as the gun clears the holster. My old neighbor, Federal LEO, shooting instructor for his force, tens of thousands of rounds down range, shot himself through the right foot that way, as have hundreds of others. I wouldn't carry one if they paid me to. Now, 3..2...1..."keep your goddamned finger off the trigger blah blah blahbbety blah" Easier said than done when the design practically puts your finger there in the first place.

Thanks for the explanation. I can understand why the "hate" towards Serpa holsters.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Colt Commander
30x7msx.jpg

Riptide

Established Member
I'm going to be picking up a S&W model 629 soon. I will keep speer gold dot 240g .44 specials for self defense while the revolver sits in the night stand.

Any recommendations on a magnum cartridge that is fairly hot and can be had for a relative decent price? Would like to pick up a couple boxes for target shooting.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does anyone carry appendix? Is TucTite the way to go? $130+ is pretty steep for a holster and I've found a few (significantly) cheaper options. But a good holster is worth the money and, based on appearances, the TucTite is a better product.

That TucTite Appendix holster combo (gun and mag) you're referencing is a nice rig. Not cheap, but it's nice quality.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
ri9ll2.jpg

Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare (carry).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

sold my nightmare last year and got an H&K .45C. I should've kept it but I wanted variety.
i do daily carry a Sig Ultra carry though, love that gun.

Users who are viewing this thread