what drag radial are you running on stock rims

Riptide

Established Member
What we need is a 27-28" tire made to fit an 18x8 rim. Wish they made one. I would love a 555R like that for street usage.

The M&H 275/45/18 - amazes me it fits the 8" factory rims with only that much bulge. If you look on the website they say it needs a 10" rim.

nosscort

Established Member
the m&H 275/45/18 fit fine and a friend has been using them for 1.5 years on factory 18x8 wheels cutting low 1.6 high 1.58 60's consistently.

Honestly no different with the new edge and mach 1 guys that run 275/40/17 tires on the factory 17x8 wheels.

Riptide

Established Member
Ive seen m&h 275/50/17 run on a 17x8 but thats only 1" off the 9" recommendation. I think the way m&h rates these tires must be pretty we todd ed if the 275/45/18 will work fine on a 8" rim.

Nice though at least its an option. Would like a 27" 555r for street use but they dont make one for an 18x8.

AMWill

The M&H 275/45/18 drag radials will "fit" on a 18x8 rim, but it's not recommended for the street. Since the tires are DOT drag radials, M&H has the average weekend muscle car in mind. These particular tires are able to fit on a smaller rim because the sidewall is very soft and tall. Which is great for launching at the track.

Running too small of a rim (by 1" in this case) becomes a problem when taking the car aggressively around turns on the street. I'm not saying anyone is trying to road race with these tires, but it can be hard to resist not to drive aggressively on the street sometimes. With the soft and flexible sidewall, you do run the risk of popping the tires off the rim around an aggressive turn. Or even worse, if you were to accidentally hit a pothole during a gradual turn on the highway. This is why M&H recommends a specific sized rim for their tires, even though you may be able to mount them on a smaller rim.

If you're just using these wheels for the strip on an 18x8 wheel you should be okay. Otherwise, you do run a risk of popping the tire off the rim.

Hope this info helps clarify somethings for you guys!

Shane

Riptide

Established Member
I'd rather run the 275/50/17 on a 17x9. Same overall diameter with more sidewall. And is going to fit a 9" rim better than the 275/45/18 on an 8".

nosscort

Established Member
The M&H 275/45/18 drag radials will "fit" on a 18x8 rim, but it's not recommended for the street. Since the tires are DOT drag radials, M&H has the average weekend muscle car in mind. These particular tires are able to fit on a smaller rim because the sidewall is very soft and tall. Which is great for launching at the track.

Running too small of a rim (by 1" in this case) becomes a problem when taking the car aggressively around turns on the street. I'm not saying anyone is trying to road race with these tires, but it can be hard to resist not to drive aggressively on the street sometimes. With the soft and flexible sidewall, you do run the risk of popping the tires off the rim around an aggressive turn. Or even worse, if you were to accidentally hit a pothole during a gradual turn on the highway. This is why M&H recommends a specific sized rim for their tires, even though you may be able to mount them on a smaller rim.

If you're just using these wheels for the strip on an 18x8 wheel you should be okay. Otherwise, you do run a risk of popping the tire off the rim.

Hope this info helps clarify somethings for you guys!

Shane

Wow I'll be sure because you posted some dumb response not to enter my car on drag radials into a auto x event and not track my car on a road course event on Dr also!! I am sure the people who run drag radials know where they are to be used and how to drive on them ... Am rep at its finest...lol

Riptide

Established Member
Wow I'll be sure because you posted some dumb response not to enter my car on drag radials into a auto x event and not track my car on a road course event on Dr also!!
Wow what a dick response.

Last edited:

nosscort

Established Member
Wow what a dick response.

if you need a AM rep telling you not to drive your car in or around twisties or racing around a road track with drag radials on, well than you aren't the type of owner that needs a drag radial.. They say "DRAG RADIAL" for a reason! Come on common scense should tell you not to drive in a fashion to where your Drag radial might come off your rim.. If you do need that than stick to a stock tire...

Riptide

Established Member
So someone posts an explanation that in your estimation is stating the obvious. Instead of letting it go you make some smartass remark.

BMR Tech

We have been running MT 265/40-18's on stock wheels since 2010.

We even won NMRA SST with them in 2011, and Runner Up'd in 2012.

phoca_thumb_l_joliet%20saturday%202011-97.jpg

20140211_113829.jpg

20140211_113846.jpg

nosscort

Established Member
So someone posts an explanation that in your estimation is stating the obvious. Instead of letting it go you make some smartass remark.

correct... look at it this way any 15x8 and 15x10 run a 275/60 or a 275/50 and some even a 295/50 mickey,M&H,Hoosier,Nitto, and Goodyear Slicks or Drag radial.. So why or what are they used for? going down the track, some street driven some not.. but because they are on a 15x8 rim there shouldnt be a fear or a warning that they are going to fly off the wheel by street driving or at the track. The same goes for a 265-275 Drag radial on the stock 18x8" wheel..
But if you have to be told not to drive like an ass around turns or curves in a matter your tires are going to come off your rim, like I posted you don't belong on this (Drag radial) or that kind of wheel and or tire..
To the original question which has been answerd multiple times .. there are only 2-3 tires that are drag radials that will fit a stock 18" -19" wheel. And none of them are going to "POP" off your rim!

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
I wish the 265/40 was a wee bit taller. They work ok but the extra gap looks worse on stock springs. One nice thing about the m&h is it fills the gap a bit more over stock.

Would like to know if someone has tried enkei 17x9 rpf1 on a non brembo car and if it fit.

nosscort

Established Member
I wish the 265/40 was a wee bit taller. They work ok but the extra gap looks worse on stock springs. One nice thing about the m&h is it fills the gap a bit more over stock.

Would like to know if someone has tried enkei 17x9 rpf1 on a non brembo car and if it fit.

I agree with the tires ..

the wheels for the rear or the front?

Riptide

Established Member
Both. Id like to run rpf1 17x9 on all 4 corners with a 275/50/17 drag radial out back and a 235/55/17 up front.

Users who are viewing this thread