what drag radial are you running on stock rims

nosscort

Established Member
I think the 18x9" rpf1 was the smallest size et and backspacing that will fit. I remember vorshlag testing a bunch of combos

Riptide

Established Member
Their tests were all on a brembo car. Thats the wildcard. Would like to see someone try on a non brembo car like mine.

AMWill

Wow I'll be sure because you posted some dumb response not to enter my car on drag radials into a auto x event and not track my car on a road course event on Dr also!! I am sure the people who run drag radials know where they are to be used and how to drive on them ... Am rep at its finest...lol

if you need a AM rep telling you not to drive your car in or around twisties or racing around a road track with drag radials on, well than you aren't the type of owner that needs a drag radial.. They say "DRAG RADIAL" for a reason! Come on common scense should tell you not to drive in a fashion to where your Drag radial might come off your rim.. If you do need that than stick to a stock tire...

nosscort,

My post in this thread was more directed towards Riptide's comment below about M&H's rating of wheel to tire fitments. In which he didn't seem aware of the reason for M&H's rating having a safety margin for the street.

Ive seen m&h 275/50/17 run on a 17x8 but thats only 1" off the 9" recommendation. I think the way m&h rates these tires must be pretty we todd ed if the 275/45/18 will work fine on a 8" rim.

Secondly, I clearly stated in my post that I was referring to aggressive driving on the street. At no point was I concerned with anyone using drag radials during a road racing event. Hence why I said,
I'm not saying anyone is trying to road race with these tires, but it can be hard to resist not to drive aggressively on the street sometimes.

The focus of my posts was not to state the obvious, which is drag radials won't work well around turns or road racing events. It was to speak of the average street car, which uses drag radials full time on street wheels, like the factory 18x8's (NOT 15's). In which it is still important to run the manufacturer (M&H) recommended rim size, if you sometimes drive aggressively on the street.

We all know drag radials don't handle well and aren't meant to. Yet, there's still a difference in street handling from one drag radial to another. For a street car, some guys still drive decently aggressive on sharper roads with drag radials. When you're pushing the limits of the tires sidewall, is when it's truly important to use the correct size tire for the correct rim.

There's two particular cars (drivers) that come to mind with this topic. The 03-04 Termi guys and GT500's. Both of these cars handle well from the factory, but lack traction when in boost (straight line). Not everyone wants to sacrifice all of their handling capabilities for a perfect drag launch on 15" rims, so they sport drag radials on a 17-20" rim. Not only does the correct tire size come into play here for maximum handling, but brand too. Lots of these drivers use the Nitto NT05R because of its stiffer sidewall and its ability to handle "OKAY" on the street over the MT's or M&H's. Granted, they also don't hook as well in a straight line as MT's or M&H's either.

Now relating back to my first post- the driver I just described should not run a drag radial in which is rated for a larger rim, than what is being used. As it will be far easier to pop off of the rim than a properly sized drag radial for the rim.

Shane

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
I understand why putting a tire on a rim that isn't wide enough can be bad.

It surprised me how well the 275/45/18 fits in the pictures here in this thread. Considering it was on a rim a full 2" under what m&h recommends. Hence why I was questioning how m&h rates that tire. But hey what do I know I didn't build the thing I just saw the pictures he put up.

AMWill

I understand why putting a tire on a rim that isn't wide enough can be bad.

It surprised me how well the 275/45/18 fits in the pictures here in this thread. Considering it was on a rim a full 2" under what m&h recommends. Hence why I was questioning how m&h rates that tire. But hey what do I know I didn't build the thing I just saw the pictures he put up.

I hear ya there. I had no doubt that you weren't green to the topic. I only meant to help clarify things in my first post, not recreate the wheel (or tire haha).

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread