What is it with BilletFlow idler pulleys!!! (Videos inside)

K-Dubb

Established Member
The bf bearings are junk. Also orilleys carries the same brand. It you tapped the bearing in then it's no good; must press it in. Sounds like more than one bearing. Get the national bearing from orilleys. Replace bearings in all pullies.

I wouldn't say they are junk. Plenty of other people's BF bearings last a long time. I doubt the one I got from Orilley's is any better than the one that is in the pulley.

K-Dubb

Established Member
Ok, I think I might have it figured out. I think the belt is too tight. I pushed down on the tensioner with it on, and the noise went away.

It is weird though cause this is the same belt that was on it when I bought it, and the previous owner did not have any noise. I am also using the recommended belt size from here:

Belt Selection Guide

K080745 is the one I am using (2.93 with 100mm idler).

I did notice when I tried a new belt before (when the bearing was actually bad), the new belt seemed longer than the one on there even though it was the same brand and model.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Are you sure the whine isn't coming from the blower itself? The idler pulley might be putting more strain on it.

futureSVT

Established Member
Ok, I think I might have it figured out. I think the belt is too tight. I pushed down on the tensioner with it on, and the noise went away.

It is weird though cause this is the same belt that was on it when I bought it, and the previous owner did not have any noise. I am also using the recommended belt size from here:

Belt Selection Guide

K080745 is the one I am using (2.93 with 100mm idler).

I did notice when I tried a new belt before (when the bearing was actually bad), the new belt seemed longer than the one on there even though it was the same brand and model.

maybe the new belt needs to strech out alittle :shrug: but it looks like you may be on to something.

K-Dubb

Established Member
Are you sure the whine isn't coming from the blower itself? The idler pulley might be putting more strain on it.

I used a stethoscope and i can hear the whine between the 100mm and the 2.93. When I push on the tensioner, which does not have much play, it goes away.

maybe the new belt needs to strech out alittle :shrug: but it looks like you may be on to something.

Actually I am still running the old belt. I took the new one back when I found that I actually had a bad bearing as I thought that was the entire issue (the whine in the videos actually used to be louder).

K-Dubb

Established Member
Here is where my belt tensioner is at.

09292118.jpg

greengt88

Established Member
I hope billetflow is good, I just purchased from lethal, makes me want to trade them for metco, but I hate polished....hoping it works out for me!! How long do belts usually last with an upper and idler?? I have about 10k mi. On it so far, idlers just started squeaking last week.....belt still looks great, assuming its stretched out some by now, no slip or boost drop off, been too nervous to really boost it though since the squeak started, don't want grenaded idlers of any sort.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I hope billetflow is good, I just purchased from lethal, makes me want to trade them for metco, but I hate polished....hoping it works out for me!! How long do belts usually last with an upper and idler?? I have about 10k mi. On it so far, idlers just started squeaking last week.....belt still looks great, assuming its stretched out some by now, no slip or boost drop off, been too nervous to really boost it though since the squeak started, don't want grenaded idlers of any sort.

Billetflow make some great products. I have the Billetflow idlers and they have been trouble free. Not a sound out of them with the 2.3 Whipple with a 3.00 pulley. I remember not so long ago when Billetflows were what everyone went with. Sometimes bearings go out and need to be replaced that doesn't mean that the quality of a pulley is bad. Dougs customer service has been great and he has always stood behind his products. Sometime he went above and beyond to help someone out. I think you will be more than happy with your Billetflow idlers.

greengt88

Established Member
I have their IRS Brackets installed....it was by far one of my favorite mods...great quality and engineered extremely well. Pulleys and new bridge should be here tomorrow

Spoolx

Established Member
Billetflow make some great products. I have the Billetflow idlers and they have been trouble free. Not a sound out of them with the 2.3 Whipple with a 3.00 pulley. I remember not so long ago when Billetflows were what everyone went with. Sometimes bearings go out and need to be replaced that doesn't mean that the quality of a pulley is bad. Dougs customer service has been great and he has always stood behind his products. Sometime he went above and beyond to help someone out. I think you will be more than happy with your Billetflow idlers.

The quality of the pulley is awesome, its the bearing thats suspect.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is where my belt tensioner is at.

09292118.jpg

I think your on to something with the belt. The line/notch on the tensioner should be a little on the right side of center. Yours is all the way maxed out to the right. Heres a picture of mine. I have a 2.8 pulley with BF 4 piece set. I'm also running the same size belt as you a 74.5 inch. And your running a 2.93. You may need to go atleast 1/2 inch bigger if not more.

004-8.jpg

Tractionless1

Established Member
I think your on to something with the belt. The line/notch on the tensioner should be a little on the right side of center. Yours is all the way maxed out to the right. Heres a picture of mine. I have a 2.8 pulley with BF 4 piece set. I'm also running the same size belt as you a 74.5 inch. And your running a 2.93. You may need to go atleast 1/2 inch bigger if not more.

Can you circle the line/notch you are refering to in your pic please?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you circle the line/notch you are refering to in your pic please?

I'm a noob with photoshop. But It's the line directly left of the center bolt. I believe that is whats used for a guide to go by.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Have you checked the bearing in the adjuster pulley?
I just recently replaced mine.

Sharkster

Established Member
to rule out the belt just pour a little water on the belt while its running. Just enough to get it wet 1/4 cup or so. If its the belt it should quiet down when the water is put on it.

Sharkster

Established Member
Ive gotten several items from Doug and the products and service have always been spot on A+ every time. They bend over backwards for you just like Whipple and Kenne Bell.

K-Dubb

Established Member
My suspicions about my belt length were correct. The K080745 belt that was on the car is actually about a half inch shorter than a normal K080745. I got a new one, and the tensioner is in a better spot. The whine is still there slightly, but I can live with it since If I go any longer, I am afraid it might slip. It will probably stretch over time and go away completely.

Users who are viewing this thread