What kind of oil?

MG0h3

Established Member
Manufacturer recommended is just fine.

Still running the original motorcraft 5/20 in my Cobra.

2.9 Whipple/E85 @20 psi for three years or so

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
5w-50, whatever is on sale, not brand loyal, have used several different brands in the 11 & 14, & not had any issues.
My tuner likes Valvoline..

hotcobra03

Established Member
On my 03.
Its been basic castrol gtx,5-20 and 1 bottle stp oil treatment..

Over 400k on motor

I have tried to only use the same oil and filter ,,

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Run the weight that's recommended. If oil temps are getting above about 240 degrees or so, it would be wise to go one extra weight class up. The engine was designed to run right clearances and use thinner oil because of it. More engine load doesn't push oil out of bearings just because oil viscosity is low. As low as bearing clearances are correct, tighter tolerances and thinner oil actually maintains and spread loads better than thicker oil and loose tolerances.

The only reason you see people use heavier oil with tighter clearances is due to the heat of the oil. The closer you get to high temp high shear point, the heavier the weight of oil you'll want to use to maintain proper clearances at elevated temps. Alternatively, you could increase/optimize the oil cooling system.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I use factory Motorcraft 5W-50 w/ ford racing oil filter on my 2013 Super Snake. No problems. Im contemplating giving Amsoil a try. I use Amsoil in my 2014 CTS V Coupe. Its been good to me as well!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread