What mods should I do for 12k? Need advise

03snake03

Established Member
I've got a few bucks to spend on my 03 and I already know that I'm going to do a whipple and supporting mods and I've been told by my speed shop that can be done for 5500. So my question is I'd love to put cams in the car but I know how expensive to pull the motor to do that so I don't think it would be worth it. What other mods do you suggest? I was thinking about long tubes, I've been planning on doing a afco H/E upgrade (still have the stock one), want to do a MGW shifter, frame ties, and firewall adjuster. What about gears? Anyone have a bigger gear with a Twin screw? If so what size gear? I'm up for other suggestions. Appearence wise I need to lower the car and a set of after market rims would be nice. My current mods are below in my signature. I don't have many mods right now, just tune, mid pipe,cat back, air, pulley. Let me know what you think.

:shrug:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Do the Whipple, save the rest. Never know when that 7 grand could come in handy.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
What supporting mods are included in that $5500?
A 2.3 whipple and a decent fuel system will set you back $5200.

Then there's suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, transmission etc. That 12k can be gone in a blink!

exdeath

Established Member
Suspension. Easy. Exercise some self control and get the less exciting stuff out of the way in one fell swoop while you have the luxury.

If you are low mileage you can keep the stock struts and shocks a bit longer, but at the very least get weld in sub frame connectors, CC plates, and solid bushings front to back. Declare genocide on rubber not attached to the tires.

You'll be much happier with it as a daily driver. If you're low mileage or don't drive it often, you might not understand yet, but eventually all that soft crap wears out and things get really loose, sloppy, and noisy, and it's not befitting of a Cobra.

Last edited:

03snake03

Established Member
Suspension. Easy. Exercise some self control and get the less exciting stuff out of the way in one fell swoop while you have the luxury.

If you are low mileage you can keep the stock struts and shocks a bit longer, but at the very least get weld in sub frame connectors, CC plates, and solid bushings front to back. Declare genocide on rubber not attached to the tires.

You'll be much happier with it as a daily driver. If you're low mileage or don't drive it often, you might not understand yet, but eventually all that soft crap wears out and things get really loose, sloppy, and noisy, and it's not befitting of a Cobra.

Yep, I'm one of those guys that don't drive the car that much, still only have 10k on the cobra, so shocks, rubber etc are still new, so I'll probably wait on the suspension stuff for now. Really just wanting someone to say it's ok to waste the money on cams. I so love that sound and I don't think I'll pick up that much with cams, just love that choppy sound. I think most guys don't change cams until they have to do something inside the engine and have to pull the motor anyway.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Whipple, fuel system, E85 tune, IRS bushings, clutch, shifter, tubular K/coilovers, subframes, Joel's T-stat, Cobra R brake kit, 18" reps w/ Hoosiers, Aeroforce and wideband to monitor, done.

Plenty of power, supporting mods, suspension/brakes, and cash still left over.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Yep, I'm one of those guys that don't drive the car that much, still only have 10k on the cobra, so shocks, rubber etc are still new, so I'll probably wait on the suspension stuff for now. Really just wanting someone to say it's ok to waste the money on cams. I so love that sound and I don't think I'll pick up that much with cams, just love that choppy sound. I think most guys don't change cams until they have to do something inside the engine and have to pull the motor anyway.

With a set of custom grind cams you'll pick up some decent power, but they set you back quite a bit too. Not worth it though unless you already have to go into the motor.

Slow99x

Established Member
A set of Ford GT supercar cams only cost $550 plus install and will give you a few more HP but they will not give you that lope you might be looking for.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Cams will give you the least bang for your buck. The stock struts and springs are fine. Here is my take on this.

2.3 Whipple (the compressor map is perfectly matched to our little 4.6. Anything bigger is like watering your garden with a fire hydrent). KB is fine too.
BAP (I perfer a return system but that will add $2K to the bill)
60 lb. injectors
26 spline input shaft and upgrated clutch disc
AC427 (Bruce) IRS bushing and sub-frame mounts
Cobra R brake kit
Fluidyne rad
Evenflow kit
MM solid rack bushings and steering shaft
GoldenWest sub-frame connector (best ones on the market)
Trunk mounted battery

I'm sure I left a few things out but that stuff should give you a fun to drive well rounded car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
A set of Ford GT supercar cams only cost $550 plus install and will give you a few more HP but they will not give you that lope you might be looking for.

The GT cams are the cheapest part. You will need to swap out the springs and retainers as well. Your looking at $2000 bill and they won't give you a lumpy idle. Your right about them giving you a "few more HP". This would be the very last mod on my list. The stock cams are pretty good right out of the box.

20psirabbit

Established Member

+1, people really don't understand how much better the car gets with that stuff done :beer:

KILRSVT

Established Member
Whipple, fuel system, E85 tune, IRS bushings, clutch, shifter, tubular K/coilovers, subframes, Joel's T-stat, Cobra R brake kit, 18" reps w/ Hoosiers, Aeroforce and wideband to monitor, done.

Plenty of power, supporting mods, suspension/brakes, and cash still left over.

+1 couldnt agree more

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Get the basic suspension mods....FLSFCS, some diff bushings, and an IRS brace...then look for a used package blower deal (you have to be pt here)...I got my KB with all supporting mods for around $3000. Installed it, and saved a bunch of money!

Users who are viewing this thread