Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Mobil 2 advanced full synthetic

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Another oil please post what you think i should use

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

Danmart2009

Established Member
I'm going with Mobil 1 5w-30 Walmart has 2 different types of Mobil 1 synthetic one is the regular kind the other is extended protection offers up to 15k miles before changing it. I'm still going to change it every 3-5k miles but wanted to know if there is any difference in them ill post the links to both any feed back would be great it's only a 2 dollar difference where I live thanks guys

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17128876?type=search

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...3AC#ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-5qt/17034372?type=search

AAG

Established Member
Buy the $13 jug of mobil clean 5k. You're wasting money and oil at that oil change interval.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I use the regular Mobil 1 synthetic in all my newer vehicles, which is everything but the bronco.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
run the EP an change oil at 7500 or change filter at 5k miles an run oil to 10k.

Wicked81

Established Member
the ep is supposed to be good to 15k miles. i run mine out at least till 10k. I've been using that and platinum for awhile. Both are very good IMHO. Next oil change i'm trying Pennzoil Ultra i picked up.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Buy the $13 jug of mobil clean 5k. You're wasting money and oil at that oil change interval.

Oil is cheap, even the good stuff.

Supposedly the EP is a "full" synthetic whereas the regular M1 isn't. I'll let the oil geeks here devolve into further explanation as to what that ultimately means.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
Amsoil Signature Series

If you want an easily found off-the-shelf oil, Pennzoil Ultra

makevelie187

Established Member
Amsoil Signature Series

If you want an easily found off-the-shelf oil, Pennzoil Ultra

Amsoil all the way. Mobile 1 actually came out on the lower side for quality in the oils and penzoil came out as one of the top. This was amsoil doing independent testing at the good guys auto show

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I'm going with Mobil 1 5w-30 Walmart has 2 different types of Mobil 1 synthetic one is the regular kind the other is extended protection offers up to 15k miles before changing it. I'm still going to change it every 3-5k miles but wanted to know if there is any difference in them ill post the links to both any feed back would be great it's only a 2 dollar difference where I live thanks guys.
The only difference between the two is the additive package. The EP has more additives hence the reason you can run it longer.

Yup. If you are hell bent on changing oil that often just use the regular Mobil 1.

Supposedly the EP is a "full" synthetic whereas the regular M1 isn't. I'll let the oil geeks here devolve into further explanation as to what that ultimately means.
Regular Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic anymore. EP is their true synthetic oil.
Mobil 1 oils can be made up of a mixture of Group III, IV and V base stocks. So claiming EP as full sythetic while regular Mobil 1 isn't is incorrect. Both are the same base stock, just different additive packages.

Amsoil all the way. Mobile 1 actually came out on the lower side for quality in the oils and penzoil came out as one of the top. This was amsoil doing independent testing at the good guys auto show
Lets be brutally honest here. When you compare the wear characteristics of all the top oils they all meet or exceed the standards set forth by the API. Just because Amsoil or Royal Purple does better on one ball wear test than the other is not going to make a bit of difference over the lifespan of your car. It's more important to change the oil when required than the actual brand of oil used.

Honestly, when was the last time you saw a motor fail solely due to the poor lubrication properties of the oil used?

U.M.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
our lexus es350 (camry) calls for an oil change every few thousand miles and my gf drives a LOT so ive been changing the oil pretty frequently. we have a warranty and other owners claim that you need to follow the oil change intervals to keep your warranty in tact. we also use mobil 1 on it which is what lexus says to use. it also takes 6 quarts. i wouldnt mind switching to walmart synthetic if it wont be a warranty issue. this car is just a DD.

last time i changed the oil i used mobil 1s new 0w-30 which supposedly gives you better mpg.

jcthorne

Established Member
I switched from Mobil to Rotella Synthetic about 10 yrs ago when, right after Exxon took over Mobil, the severe quality drop in Mobil synthetics showed up in oil analysis tests on my and others engines. Will not go back to an Exxon product. Engineered to be sold for as cheap a production price as they can slide by with. Mobil was a lubricants industry leader, now the name is just a marketing gimmick.

Leaders now are Shell, Chevron, BP (Castrol) and Ashland (Valvoline).

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I got extended for my 30k change only because they didn't have Rotella T6 (what everyone uses on wrx models). Hopefully it serves me well for 7.5k miles and doesn't burn down.

ViciousJay

Established Member
AMS, Royal Purple only for me. Mobil 1 has one of the worst ratings out there, you might as well piss in the dipstick tube

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
AMS, Royal Purple only for me. Mobil 1 has one of the worst ratings out there, you might as well piss in the dipstick tube

The last comparison test I read had M1 5W-20 in the middle of the pack of about 30 different oils/weights. Hardly, "piss". If you observe normal oil change intervals use any of the quality synthetics, including M1, you won't notice any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread