What sports car to buy with $35k?

What sports car to buy with $35k?

• Total voters

RGrossman

Established Member
996 Turbo all the way... I bought my 2004 Cabriolet with 42k miles for 45k. 35k MIGHT get you an 01 or 02.

Add a flash and exhaust for an extra 100 HP. I do my own maintenance and oil changes, very easy to work on. Surprised its last in the vote.

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
996 Turbo all the way... I bought my 2004 Cabriolet with 42k miles for 45k. 35k MIGHT get you an 01 or 02.

Add a flash and exhaust for an extra 100 HP. I do my own maintenance and oil changes, very easy to work on. Surprised its last in the vote.

+1. And it's the only one that won't be worth 5k in 20 years.

RGrossman

Established Member
Honestly, don't let maintenance on the Porsche scare you from buying one. Don't buy one with no service records or any service history. Get one that has been maintained by an owner who keeps records. So far in my 2 years of ownership and 16k miles I have done spark plugs, coil packs, diverter valves, lowering springs, exhaust swap, MAF and O2 sensors. Oh and tires of course. Nothing was difficult. Yes, going to a dealer might be expensive but buy the parts you need online for a good price and do it yourself. Its enjoyable to work on. My next jobs will be fuel filter and main drive belt. The engine and transmission in these cars are extremely strong. Keep in mind these cars are very expensive to modify. I bought my exhaust system used and it still cost me a thousand. New its over 3500. Hard to swallow when you can get headers to tips for under a thousand on a Mustang or Corvette.

Here are some pics of my 996 on my lift. Anything from the axels forward requires removing underbody panels. The main engine area is very accessible. 2 Main engine mount bolts are loosened to lower the engine for gaining access to top of the engine.

p033.jpg

p056.jpg

p085.jpg

p098.jpg

p110.jpg

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^Very nice!!!! That is my next purchase, the C5Z is around 98K miles and its time to say good bye. I have found a few 996TTs in my area anywhere from 36-45K (40K-60K miles)....

truefiveo

Established Member
Honestly, don't let maintenance on the Porsche scare you from buying one. Don't buy one with no service records or any service history. Get one that has been maintained by an owner who keeps records. So far in my 2 years of ownership and 16k miles I have done spark plugs, coil packs, diverter valves, lowering springs, exhaust swap, MAF and O2 sensors. Oh and tires of course. Nothing was difficult. Yes, going to a dealer might be expensive but buy the parts you need online for a good price and do it yourself. Its enjoyable to work on. My next jobs will be fuel filter and main drive belt. The engine and transmission in these cars are extremely strong. Keep in mind these cars are very expensive to modify. I bought my exhaust system used and it still cost me a thousand. New its over 3500. Hard to swallow when you can get headers to tips for under a thousand on a Mustang or Corvette.

Here are some pics of my 996 on my lift. Anything from the axels forward requires removing underbody panels. The main engine area is very accessible. 2 Main engine mount bolts are loosened to lower the engine for gaining access to top of the engine.

p033.jpg

p056.jpg

p085.jpg

p098.jpg

p110.jpg

Id rather have a Porsche with a C6/CZO6 powertrain.

RGrossman

Established Member
Whats wrong with the 996 Turbo powertrain? Easy 500+ HP & Torque with tune and exhaust the car will run low 11s. The next step up would be a Turbo swap which brings you into the 750+ HP range and the stock engine will take it into the low 800 range and even higher in many cases.

Anyway, doesn't sound like OP will be going crazy with power either way.

03Sssnake, a Turbo with 40-60k miles is just getting broken in. Its an over engineered proven engine.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
You guys are making me want to go drool over 996TTs on Rennlist and CL again.

An important question--can a 996TT power oversteer with any degree of predictability? One thing I really enjoy with my Cobra is hanging the tail out. I fear the AWD may put a damper on the hooliganism.

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '91 F2, '03 DRZ400

RGrossman

Established Member
The 996 with psm off will let you be as dangerous as you want. With psm on its controls the car very well. Its not a true awd. When it senses slip upto 40 percent is sent to the front. You can also remove the front drive and make it a gt2 and go crazy.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Oh really? Insecurities???
AMGs are a dime a dozen and can be had for sub 30s/20s after 2 or 3 years of terrible depreciation what else did you think of your little cute daughters sweet sixteen C63.:shrug:
They do depreciate like crazy, although I'm in love with the new e-class coupe... Wonder what will replace that :bored: But what sucks is they change the body style every 2-3 years so really unless you are paying cash or can pay it off in 2-3 years I'd lease that depreciate mobile.

Also OP I've fallen out of love with Porsche, performance is bad ass but I just came to a realization that it just looks like a lowered/stretched out beetle.

Cam, exhaust, intake the C6Z and you will NEVER think twice about that Porsche!!! :burnout:

61mmstang94

Established Member
Also OP I've fallen out of love with Porsche, performance is bad ass but I just came to a realization that it just looks like a lowered/stretched out beetle.

Cam, exhaust, intake the C6Z and you will NEVER think twice about that Porsche!!! :burnout:

I'd take the Porsche styling over the c6z and the c6z isn't the only car we can mod to make faster :)

Now....I agree there may be a styling cue or two that are similar between the two cars.....but the current Porsche bodystyle is sexy and I've never seen a beetle look this awesome:

194951_10151885773375328_405853599_o_w1200.jpg

178024_10151893283615328_1354305087_o-1_w1200.jpg

porsche_997tt_adv7dc_07_w1200.jpg

porsche_997tt_adv7dc_00_w1200.jpg

porsche_997tt_adv7dc_03_w1200.jpg

img_2143_w1200.jpg

997.1-gt3-adv.1-4_w1200.jpg

997.1-gt3-adv.1-2_w1200.jpg

adv1techartporsche1_w1200.jpg

astara7_w1200.jpg

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
They do depreciate like crazy, although I'm in love with the new e-class coupe... Wonder what will replace that :bored: But what sucks is they change the body style every 2-3 years so really unless you are paying cash or can pay it off in 2-3 years I'd lease that depreciate mobile.

I like how you throw in a modded example of a Z to a stock 996 and say the op wouldn't thing twice about the 996...Good logic genius :bash:

As mentioned above all you have to do is basic bolt on's and tune for a 996 not rip open the motor to make power. But as OP said he wasn't looking to mod, glad you read the opening post :thumbsup:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I like how you throw in a modded example of a Z to a stock 996 and say the op wouldn't thing twice about the 996...Good logic genius :bash:

As mentioned above all you have to do is basic bolt on's and tune for a 996 not rip open the motor to make power. But as OP said he wasn't looking to mod, glad you read the opening post :thumbsup:
Get real, who the hell is going to keep their car stock? Also modding that Turbo is going to cost more than modding the c6z. And yes I did throw in a modded example of a C6Z.
When it comes down to it since you seem to know for sure the OP will keep the car stock, that picture of a stock 996 Turbo looks plain as hell to ANY stock C6Z.

& to 61mm, those are examples of 997 Porsche 911's. They do look a like and modded 996's can look like sick too.

Maybe someone that's owned both can chime in on which is more expensive to own/maintain.

61mmstang94

Established Member
Get real, who the hell is going to keep their car stock?
Someone on a budget. They have X amount of money to spend and they looked at their options of buying a cheaper car and leaving room for mod money...or just getting a nicer car to begin with and not modding it.

Also modding that Turbo is going to cost more than modding the c6z. And yes I did throw in a modded example of a C6Z
Well, lets be honest, if he's looking to spend just $35k for a car and wants a c6z then that isn't going to cut it either.

Not going to get a c6z and do full bolt-ons with a cam for that price either.

When it comes down to it since you seem to know for sure the OP will keep the car stock, that picture of a stock 996 Turbo looks plain as hell to ANY stock C6Z.
True, but I also don't consider wheels as typical mods. I do that to any car to begin with because I always think factory wheels can be improved upon with some nice forged wheels.

And even a 996 with the right wheels will look good but its preference which one someone would prefer I suppose.

At least the porsche will be a little more exclusive if that counts for anything.

& to 61mm, those are examples of 997 Porsche 911's. They do look a like and modded 996's can look like sick too.
Yeah, I know I was more referencing the bodystyle and how I don't think its on par with a beetle lol.

Maybe someone that's owned both can chime in on which is more expensive to own/maintain.
Someone above stated they've done their own work on their porsche and bought used exhaust, etc and its not as expensive as if he went out and bought a brand new 911 and modded it with expensive new parts.

Just like the c6z you can mod a car expensively and there's ways to get it done much cheaper and on a budget.

But all things considered I'd say the porsche would come out a little more expensive than the Chevy.

I just think Porsche's stock wheels and stance are horrible. they leave so much to be desired considering the car itself is really nice looking.

And here's an '03 996 with wheels and I think a front lip.....still definitely much better looking than just a beetle:

03porsche996ttx50.jpg

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
Looks like a Beetle? Wow.

I gave a good example above of mod costs. A Tune will cost 1000. A used exhaust 1000-1500. That's all you need to do and it will be right around 500 HP and over 500 torque.

My car above is stock exterior except for front lip. I kept the stock wheels because I'm one of the few that like them and a 315 fits perfect on them.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'd take the Porsche styling over the c6z and the c6z isn't the only car we can mod to make faster :)

Now....I agree there may be a styling cue or two that are similar between the two cars.....but the current Porsche bodystyle is sexy and I've never seen a beetle look this awesome:
Those AREN'T $35K Porsche's that you showed in those pics...:D
I'd take a Big Twin Screw Terminator with built longblock and leave $10K of that $35 in the bank:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread