What the hell is going on

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I spend a lot of time at the track and the '11 and '12 5.0 cars with tune, CAI, exhaust, gears and DR's (and average Joe driver) are low 12 to high 11 sec cars @ 115 to 120ish mph.....nice times but with the same mods I have ran a 10.56 @ 135. Upgrade my blower to a TVS and I'm going 9's just like Rebecca Starky. :

Your car is an exception. Most stock blower GT500's are not even close to 10's, let alone mid 10's @ 135. I feel I'm a pretty good driver and have only managed 11.2 @ 124. Way off your times and MPH. I don't have headers or a lower pulley, but I'm not grinding on my factory timing cover to change a fuggin lower!

I think what has happened with all the hype and unrealistic times the shop cars where putting up (huge money is at stake for all the big shops) alot of guys who can't drive a high HP car with a manual transmission are frustrated. There are a number of guys on this forum alone that are on there 3rd clutch. I'm still running my stock '07 without any TSB work done on it and over 300 passes. These same guys will order the 5.0 with an automatic, think they can throw on some bolt ons and run 10.70's all day long....lol...not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the new 5.0 motor and it has huge potential but if you don't have the patience, skill or knowledge to get a GT500 down the track in less than 11sec. its not going to be any easier or cheaper in real world conditions with an average driver in an '11 or'12 GT.

This is probably more true. EVO, Lethal, etc....make it seem simple to get a GT500 to run 10's. It just isn't true. Many with Whipples/KB barely get into the 10's. It is a hard car to drive....heavy, bottom end torque, and a 6spd. For many the new 5.0 A6 is the way to go. Contrary to your opinion, all you need to run 10's in a 5.0 is a TVS swap/tune(VMP), and DR's. There is a guy in TN that has gone 10.7 with this swap with just that. A personal friend in Baton Rouge has gone 10.5's with TVS on 9psi, bigs/littles, and some exhaust. I have another friend with a '12 that has ordered the VMP TVS swap with the 9psi pulley. I expect him to run mid 10's come this fall/winter. Don't sell them short.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
You have to understand that the shops never tell everything they do and they have a plethora of parts just sitting there. Much easier for them to throw 10K in parts on a car and go racing like it's nothing to it. I just got into the 10s this year. Could have done it last year but was messing with the Vette and it's impossible for a man in my situation (money shorter than a midget on his knees praying) to build two cars at the same time. I look over the receipts for the Shelby to run 10s and if I knew I spent that much I would not do it again. Okay maybe I would but I would't tell anyone.

Last but not least the Shelby has showed a lot of people that they don't drive as good as they think with a stick. Not trying to start a big fight up in here but nothing is funny as someone talking about how good they drive and race just to go to the track and rip off a 12.80-13.20 in the 1320 lol. Just my .000002 cents not redeemable anywhere

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
One thing that came out of it, even with a knife to my throat, I will never, NEVER buy another black vehicle.........what a pain to clean. Thanks for the kind words

True that! I have owned a 1999 Trans Am and a 2008 Mustang GT, both black. Wash them today, looks dirty tomorrow. Every imperfection shows from every angle.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

then my car will feel slow.

Your car is slow, Zpods are heavy. :p

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
Had I known the lack of support and parts I never would have built this car. Also lack of knowledge by mechanics and techs wastes a lot of money.

kent1

Established Member
I agree there are a lot of guys thinking the grass is greener right now. Funny thing is the GT500 easily outperforms the 5.0 if you add the same bolt ons or upgrade the blower to a TVS and compare it to a TVS 5.0.
I spend a lot of time at the track and the '11 and '12 5.0 cars with tune, CAI, exhaust, gears and DR's (and average Joe driver) are low 12 to high 11 sec cars @ 115 to 120ish mph.....nice times but with the same mods I have ran a 10.56 @ 135. Upgrade my blower to a TVS and I'm going 9's just like Rebecca Starky. Unlike most of the shop cars who put up these numbers at track rentals in Spring and Fall WITHOUT the required saftey equipment that adds weight we bust are balls with summer heat and 100 extra lbs. of saftey eqipment trying to get a 10sec. slip that seemed so easy for the shop guys.....you remeber....just order are stage III kit bolt it on HANG ON and you'll go 10's just like us...lol...yah maybe 10 grand later.
I think what has happened with all the hype and unrealistic times the shop cars where putting up (huge money is at stake for all the big shops) alot of guys who can't drive a high HP car with a manual transmission are frustrated. There are a number of guys on this forum alone that are on there 3rd clutch. I'm still running my stock '07 without any TSB work done on it and over 300 passes. These same guys will order the 5.0 with an automatic, think they can throw on some bolt ons and run 10.70's all day long....lol...not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love the new 5.0 motor and it has huge potential but if you don't have the patience, skill or knowledge to get a GT500 down the track in less than 11sec. its not going to be any easier or cheaper in real world conditions with an average driver in an '11 or'12 GT.
I won't be selling mine anytime soon....IMO and after 4 years, over 300 1/4 mile passes with the stock rearend, clutch, tranny, bottom end, and no breakage this is the best designed and toughest car ever to roll out of Detroit (or wherever):rockon:

Good writeup. I bet you have a ton of funds invested in your car to run those fast times.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Your car is an exception. Most stock blower GT500's are not even close to 10's, let alone mid 10's @ 135. I feel I'm a pretty good driver and have only managed 11.2 @ 124. Way off your times and MPH. I don't have headers or a lower pulley, but I'm not grinding on my factory timing cover to change a fuggin lower!

This is probably more true. EVO, Lethal, etc....make it seem simple to get a GT500 to run 10's. It just isn't true. Many with Whipples/KB barely get into the 10's. It is a hard car to drive....heavy, bottom end torque, and a 6spd. For many the new 5.0 A6 is the way to go. Contrary to your opinion, all you need to run 10's in a 5.0 is a TVS swap/tune(VMP), and DR's. There is a guy in TN that has gone 10.7 with this swap with just that. A personal friend in Baton Rouge has gone 10.5's with TVS on 9psi, bigs/littles, and some exhaust. I have another friend with a '12 that has ordered the VMP TVS swap with the 9psi pulley. I expect him to run mid 10's come this fall/winter. Don't sell them short.

Don't get me wrong the 5.0 is a sweet motor.....but to sell a Shelby that you have invested 60-80k+ in for 40-50k then buy a 35-37k 5.0 and drop another 7-10k to make it run .7 quicker than the car you sold.....sorry I don't get it. Your Shelby is a perfect example of what I was talking about. You are running 11.20's on the stock blower, if your buddy with the 5.0 does the same bolt ons that you have done...ie..intake, tune, TB, exhaust, DR's, and gears he is not running 11.20's. If he gets pissed and decides to drop a TVS on his 5.0 that opens the door for you to do the same....he goes 10.70.....you go 10.50....and guess what..... your all set up for the TVS....can pick one up brand new for $2700 and bolt it on in your garage in 2 hours. Your 5.0 bud has a much bigger project in front of him and will spend 6-7k before he is all finished. In addition, I will be very surprised to see a 575rwhp
TVS 5.0 with an automatic take 4 years and 300+ passes and not spend a dime on repairs. The 5.0 GT is a great bang for the buck car and will have Ford dominating at the track against the Camero, Challenger, and Charger but it is not a Shelby killer.:beer:

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Good writeup. I bet you have a ton of funds invested in your car to run those fast times.

Tons of funds???? Factory Ported Blower, bone stock bottom end, bone stock top end, bone stock tranny, stock 8.8 with welded tubes, 4.10 gears, ugly C&L intake, IW lower, small first gen AFCO that I added fans to and the cheapest headers and mufflers I could find JBA. I did spend about 5k on suspension. Did some research and found the Billet Specialties Street Lites weigh less than Bogarts and cost less than a grand for the set. Did some more research and found I could stop paying for race fuel, run 20lbs. of boost and 23 degrees of timing on 92 pump gas with methonol injection. Tons of funds compared to other mod lists I have seen.....no.....tons of fun for what I have invested......oooooh yaaaaah.:rockon:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Sometimes I want to get something 2 seater and exotic to fit in more with my car club... but then I hit the gas and just smile. lol Sometimes it's nice being the only pony in the group.

carcub.gif

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I agree there are a lot of guys thinking the grass is greener right now. Funny thing is the GT500 easily outperforms the 5.0 if you add the same bolt ons or upgrade the blower to a TVS and compare it to a TVS 5.0.
I spend a lot of time at the track and the '11 and '12 5.0 cars with tune, CAI, exhaust, gears and DR's (and average Joe driver) are low 12 to high 11 sec cars @ 115 to 120ish mph.....nice times but with the same mods I have ran a 10.56 @ 135. Upgrade my blower to a TVS and I'm going 9's just like Rebecca Starky. Unlike most of the shop cars who put up these numbers at track rentals in Spring and Fall WITHOUT the required saftey equipment that adds weight we bust are balls with summer heat and 100 extra lbs. of saftey eqipment trying to get a 10sec. slip that seemed so easy for the shop guys.....you remeber....just order are stage III kit bolt it on HANG ON and you'll go 10's just like us...lol...yah maybe 10 grand later.
I won't be selling mine anytime soon....IMO and after 4 years, over 300 1/4 mile passes with the stock rearend, clutch, tranny, bottom end, and no breakage this is the best designed and toughest car ever to roll out of Detroit (or wherever):rockon:

TVS equipped auto 5.0s run faster than a tvs equipped GT500

chuckstang

Established Member
I did, removed some mods to gain some $$$ but in the end, it's a heavyweight 07 with lots of mods that made the traction worst. Kept trying to make it a car it wasn't with more and more $$$. Don't lecture me about DR's, I'm impressed with cars running good numbers on their street tires, not slippery when wet DR's.

Didnt you diss me and everyone else who sold their GT500 cause it was the greatest car known to man and yet now you own a bow tie:shrug:

But anyway, z06 is probably the best bang for the buck for a super high performance car weve seen in quite some time! Friggin amazing machine

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Looked in the market section lately? Lots of people selling their modified GT500's.
I know I dont drive mine much, and do go through spells of "Im getting rid of this" Then I snap back to reality and buy more parts. Cmon people!!!!! Take it out and remind yourself why you fell in love with the car to begin with! :rockon:

Why you looking in that section anyway:nonono::poke:

Funny.. Got offered some serious coin Thursday night for mine.... Said NO WAY Jose!!!!:rockon:

Blackmax

Established Member
Why you looking in that section anyway:nonono::poke:

Funny.. Got offered some serious coin Thursday night for mine.... Said NO WAY Jose!!!!:rockon:

Tell him to get a hold of me, I'll gladly sell mine for just a reasonable figure. Tough to find a buyer for a modified car here and probobly get less than stock.

BLK93GT

Established Member
TVS equipped auto 5.0s run faster than a tvs equipped GT500

I don't think that is totally accurate. I think one HUGE variable is removed there which is the DRIVER. Granted it still takes some work to get off the line maybe but after that point and go. MD03SVT ran 9.87@140 with his TVS GT500 and still stock trans and clutch. Until I see a TVS manual trans car run those times I don't think it is a fair comparison. The GT with TVS and auto is a great combo though for sure!

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
GT500 > 5.0
5.4 > 5.0

It comes down to, do you want to be part of the crowd & go with my lil pony, or do you want to be Mr. Big Dick & get a big bad cobra? Everyone wants to go 5.0, it's just like the beanie babies trend a few years back, let it go on for a while & it'll eventually die out.

Users who are viewing this thread