What to do with my car

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Guys,

I've had nothing but problems with this car. I ordered it 4 months before I received it in September. When I got the car in September I was in a different place mentally/personally/etc (hard to explain) than when I ordered the car. I wasn't even excited to get it. At this point, the car has 1600 miles on it (1200 of which were babying the initial, and then replacement clutch). The car has been at the dealer on two separate occasions for a total of 7 weeks. The stock clutch let go with 200 miles on the car, and the car is just getting new rear gears for excessive whine. The center console latch had to be replaced, and vibration under the car from the exhaust fixed.

At this point I don't want anything more to do with the car. I'm hoping the dealership will simply take the car back and give me my money back minus a few thousand. Anyone been in a similar situation? Should I try to sell the car private? Is the car technically a lemon? What are my options?

cclark

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear about this Kirk. I would do my best (according to your state) to see if it could fall under the lemon law and you get your money back. If the law says it could be a lemon (from the facts of your car and situation) and the dealership doesn't grant you this, I would get a lawyer and go from there (hopefully it doesn't come to this)

Again sorry to hear about your car and I hope everything turns out ok

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Just well the car in a private sale, if it does not sell then take the hit from the dealer.
I don't think any of the problems you stated are worth mentioning in 'the sale of the car, as these things happen and the car is clearly still under warranty which should be no problem to the next Guy.
I think the dealer may try to use these points to relieve you of more of your money.
Just my point of view.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Since everything is repairable you won't get your money back from the dealer without a fight. Expect to hire a lawyer. Best to just sell it outright and take a hit on the price. Be sure to tell any potential buyer the true history of the car.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Lemon law. I think most states have options if the car has been out of service for 30 days or more, and/or if the same issue comes up three different times within the warranty period. California is by far the easiest state for getting cars bought back, but many states also share strong consumer rights laws in this area. Why take a several thousand dollar hit if you can get most (or all) of it back? This is why the Lemon Law exists.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Sell the car on eBay you may luck out get more then you paid for it. The issues you mentioned can be fixed easily so expect the dealer not to cooperate.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Lemon law. I think most states have options if the car has been out of service for 30 days or more, and/or if the same issue comes up three different times within the warranty period. California is by far the easiest state for getting cars bought back, but many states also share strong consumer rights laws in this area. Why take a several thousand dollar hit if you can get most (or all) of it back? This is why the Lemon Law exists.

This is what I've read as well. I can easily take the hit money wise, but my pride won't let the dealer get the best of me when they've already dicked me around. The car has been at the dealer for much more than 30 days total.

Obviously, if I sold it privately, I'd disclose everything and take a huge hit.

DepWraith

Established Member
Guys,

I've had nothing but problems with this car. I ordered it 4 months before I received it in September. When I got the car in September I was in a different place mentally/personally/etc (hard to explain) than when I ordered the car. I wasn't even excited to get it. At this point, the car has 1600 miles on it (1200 of which were babying the initial, and then replacement clutch). The car has been at the dealer on two separate occasions for a total of 7 weeks. The stock clutch let go with 200 miles on the car, and the car is just getting new rear gears for excessive whine. The center console latch had to be replaced, and vibration under the car from the exhaust fixed.

At this point I don't want anything more to do with the car. I'm hoping the dealership will simply take the car back and give me my money back minus a few thousand. Anyone been in a similar situation? Should I try to sell the car private? Is the car technically a lemon? What are my options?

Saw your location is Tampa, I live here too. Lemon law says in for the same problem three times and then must mediate first.

I haven't had any of the issues you've had with yours. My exhaust has Flowmasters so it's loud and vibrates; it's a muscle car. What was wrong with the console latch that it needed replaced? As for the clutch and the gears, I have 6600 hard miles on mine which includes being modded for 5900 of those and a few track visits with no problems. Clutch/gears fixed under warranty?

I don't see a dealer taking it back after three months and those miles on it, so would be better of selling it yourself or maybe finding a dealer that is currently charging an ADM on one and trade it in there (would love to see their faces when you ask to add the ADM to your trade in value after you come to a trade in agreement).

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Saw your location is Tampa, I live here too. Lemon law says in for the same problem three times and then must mediate first.

I haven't had any of the issues you've had with yours. My exhaust has Flowmasters so it's loud and vibrates; it's a muscle car. What was wrong with the console latch that it needed replaced? As for the clutch and the gears, I have 6600 hard miles on mine which includes being modded for 5900 of those and a few track visits with no problems. Clutch/gears fixed under warranty?

I don't see a dealer taking it back after three months and those miles on it, so would be better of selling it yourself or maybe finding a dealer that is currently charging an ADM on one and trade it in there (would love to see their faces when you ask to add the ADM to your trade in value after you come to a trade in agreement).

Need to update my location, I live in Wisconsin

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Everything was obviously fixed under warranty--the car is bone stock. I realize the car is a muscle car, but that doesn't excuse a company from producing a car that has an annoying rattle at 4k+rpms, and unbearably loud rear end whine. I prefer a fairly quick resolution to this, and don't have the time/patience to go to extreme measures time-wise. I'd much rather pay a lawyer than spend time/effort dealing with this. Sounds stupid, but my time is incredibly valuable to me/my family

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
It's sad, wish they would swap it out for a different one, so you could see how great the car is. I find it amazing that you are having all these problems. I know a few others have had clutch issues, but I haven't heard of anyone else having the issues you are.

Anyway, I would list it for sale privately, and see what you can get for it. While it's listed privately, talk to the dealer, or research your lemon law, and see what you can do. Have both routes going at the same time, and take whatever deal ends up being better.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Definetly, lemon law..had the same shit happen to me with a Honda in Pensacola..carfax was fraudulent..Better Business Bureau took care of the dealer and I was free and clear

DepWraith

Established Member
Just FYI, dumping clutch will cause both clutch and gear issues you mentioned you had. What did they say was the reason for the issues?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Everybody willing to "lawyer up" take a deep breath and relax. If I'm reading the OP's story right, there are 3 separate repairs, not the same problem 3 times. To me it sounds like buyer's remorse, holiday depression, topped off with with pain from the dealership to make matters worse. I feel bad that he has had some problems, and I'd be upset too, but I believe that it is a bit premature to "lemon" the car.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Everybody willing to "lawyer up" take a deep breath and relax. If I'm reading the OP's story right, there are 3 separate repairs, not the same problem 3 times. To me it sounds like buyer's remorse, holiday depression, topped off with with pain from the dealership to make matters worse. I feel bad that he has had some problems, and I'd be upset too, but I believe that it is a bit premature to "lemon" the car.

Lol. Not really. Talked with my lawyer today, and we are moving forward. Regardless of whether the car is perfect at this point, I won't know for 5 months when the road clears---im not waiting that long. If you think the car is solid, why don't you buy it from me. Ill give it to you for $2k under msrp.

reason4treason

Established Member
very sorry to hear about your strain. i can relate, at least to some degree because even though i haven't had any mechanical problems at all, dealing with weasels at my dealership and Ford/SVT about not being able to verify if my order was actually covered by an allocation was a fother mucker.

i've never had so much emotion invested in a car in my life. my opininion may change, but right this moment honestly, if i knew beforehand how much of a hassle this was going to be to get, i probably would not have done it.

i think one of the problems with selling at this time of the year is that a bunch of guys are selling used ones (22 on autotrader yesterday) and that's probably rather than store them for the winter. if you can hang on to it until spring, prices will probably climb again due to the season, but then again, at that point if it's too late in the spring, the '14 is already out and it being a past year's car may have an influence.

just btw, for the hell of it, i was looking at some Supras onliine and the prices are unbelievable! '14 may well drop the value, but there's none in '15 and that may more than compensate for it being something 'of the past'. better if you can just drive and not worry about $$$ but if you can afford to not dump it even before winter starts, that approach may be worth your while

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Not really worried about a few thousand, just the principle/shitty service I've gotten from the dealership, has led me to handle it this way. I talked with the dealer and gave them one last chance to satisfy me--they're going to call me tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

Like I said, at this point there's no way for me to know whether the car is straight for 5 months, while we have snow on the ground. I'm not going to be ok making car payments for 5 months on a car that could still be broken

I've already made two months' payments with the car not in my possession, while the dealer had the car sitting in their showroom waiting for parts. Not to mention the 4 month $2500 loan I floated them to reserve the car while they waited for their allotment

Last edited:

Cuda426

Established Member
The clutch is an easy fix, getting rid of a rear end howl is not. If I could afford it I would buy it and drop in a complete Ford racing 3.73 rear diff ($1200.00) and be done with it. It's too bad dealerships can put such a negative feeling toward a car, I've been there. Mine had a rear howl when I bought it. Seller knocked off $1500.00 for the problem and I fixed it with a new diff from Ford Racing. I could have tried a warranty repair but I avoid the dealers at all cost and I didn't want the 3,31 gearing back in it.

mullens

Established Member
You have to weigh the cost of litigation vs the hit you would take if sold or traded it. If your lawyer is reasonable then it may be worth a shot at the Lemon Law. But win or lose he still gets paid.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
So- wait. You had 4 problems- all minor except for the clutch. All of which the dealer rectified and you're still not happy?

This may sound mean- but you don't have a leg to stand on litigation wise.

You don't like the car- that's fine. Sell it- you'll probably get within 2-3k of sticker.

You won't get anywhere near that from the dealer.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread