What to do with my car

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Chris, read the thread. The rear end whine is not a minor thing. I've had gears whine before with my other stangs. This was progressively louder, to the point it was insane. The dealer had no idea what was wrong with the car, and tried to buy time imo, by telling me there was some sort of revision made by ford with the gears, and they couldn't get them for 3 weeks. I'm fairly certain the problem lies elsewhere---be it the axle, the differential, etc. I don't know and I'm not going to find out. My work lawyer is going to take on the case---the lemon laws vary from state to state and the car should qualify as a lemon here in wisc.

The car has been at the dealer being fixed more than its been in my garage. The dealer did fix the clutch, but they also dimpled the shit out of my center console, and didn't say anything to me---guess they thought I wouldn't see it. I had to call them non-stop, until finally they pulled some strings to get my clutch. My car has been at the dealer since before thanksgiving, and is still there. They refused to come get the car from me as I live 40 min away and had no other way to get the car to them other than to load my 3 kids in and drive it there, hoping it wouldn't strand us again.

I've had to explain the whole situation to both owners of the dealership (brothers), the service director, the service manager, and the gm of the dealership. Its a smaller dealership---you'd think if such a prominent car was causing an owner such significant troubles there would be discussion between these guys, but no, everytime I get a new person who's in charge that day, its like they've never heard what's going on with the car. Combine two major issues with the car in 3 months, and shitty service from the dealer, and that is why I'm at this point

IA Shelby

Established Member
Guys,

I've had nothing but problems with this car. I ordered it 4 months before I received it in September. When I got the car in September I was in a different place mentally/personally/etc (hard to explain) than when I ordered the car. I wasn't even excited to get it. At this point, the car has 1600 miles on it (1200 of which were babying the initial, and then replacement clutch). The car has been at the dealer on two separate occasions for a total of 7 weeks. The stock clutch let go with 200 miles on the car, and the car is just getting new rear gears for excessive whine. The center console latch had to be replaced, and vibration under the car from the exhaust fixed.

At this point I don't want anything more to do with the car. I'm hoping the dealership will simply take the car back and give me my money back minus a few thousand. Anyone been in a similar situation? Should I try to sell the car private? Is the car technically a lemon? What are my options?

Have you contacted anyone at Ford Corporate yet?

Someone that is high enough on the food chain to get people to respond.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Chris, read the thread. The rear end whine is not a minor thing. I've had gears whine before with my other stangs. This was progressively louder, to the point it was insane. The dealer had no idea what was wrong with the car, and tried to buy time imo, by telling me there was some sort of revision made by ford with the gears, and they couldn't get them for 3 weeks. I'm fairly certain the problem lies elsewhere---be it the axle, the differential, etc. I don't know and I'm not going to find out. My work lawyer is going to take on the case---the lemon laws vary from state to state and the car should qualify as a lemon here in wisc.

The car has been at the dealer being fixed more than its been in my garage. The dealer did fix the clutch, but they also dimpled the shit out of my center console, and didn't say anything to me---guess they thought I wouldn't see it. I had to call them non-stop, until finally they pulled some strings to get my clutch. My car has been at the dealer since before thanksgiving, and is still there. They refused to come get the car from me as I live 40 min away and had no other way to get the car to them other than to load my 3 kids in and drive it there, hoping it wouldn't strand us again.

I've had to explain the whole situation to both owners of the dealership (brothers), the service director, the service manager, and the gm of the dealership. Its a smaller dealership---you'd think if such a prominent car was causing an owner such significant troubles there would be discussion between these guys, but no, everytime I get a new person who's in charge that day, its like they've never heard what's going on with the car. Combine two major issues with the car in 3 months, and shitty service from the dealer, and that is why I'm at this point

Buddy- I read the thread and your previous threads.

I'm around this stuff every day. I really don't think you have a case- but if you want to waste your money with a lawyer- by all means!

When im not happy with something I handle it myself- I don't lawyer up. Handle it your self and sell the car if your unhappy.

The dealer has fixed the car, listened to your complaints etc.

Before you waste time and money, sell the car. Based on what you have said- it doesn't seem as if the lemon law would apply here. Just seems like you're upset with your purchase and want out.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Buddy- I read the thread and your previous threads.

I'm around this stuff every day. I really don't think you have a case- but if you want to waste your money with a lawyer- by all means!

When im not happy with something I handle it myself- I don't lawyer up. Handle it your self and sell the car if your unhappy.

The dealer has fixed the car, listened to your complaints etc.

Before you waste time and money, sell the car. Based on what you have said- it doesn't seem as if the lemon law would apply here. Just seems like you're upset with your purchase and want out.

I'm not going to just eat the cost of the taxes I paid on the car, etc. my brother in law is a lawyer--I have a case, but oh well. Of course I'm upset with my purchase--if you buy something that's constantly broke, you're not upset with what you've bought?

I've invested tons of time trying to get things worked out with the dealership, and now I'm no longer interested to waste my time on a car that has been a disaster. The dealer only listened to me after I harassed them, and did not do so, to my expectations--which are very realistic

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I'm not going to just eat the cost of the taxes I paid on the car, etc. my brother in law is a lawyer--I have a case, but oh well. Of course I'm upset with my purchase--if you buy something that's constantly broke, you're not upset with what you've bought?

I've invested tons of time trying to get things worked out with the dealership, and now I'm no longer interested to waste my time on a car that has been a disaster. The dealer only listened to me after I harassed them, and did not do so, to my expectations--which are very realistic

Your dealer- if I recall- replaced your clutch under warranty. Where many others weren't so lucky. They went above and beyond on that one.

Sell the car yourself and be done with it. Nothings wrong with the car anymore. You just don't want it.

Waste your money and your time trying it. Go ahead. It will cost you just as much as the sales tax you'll eat.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Wisconsin's lemon law
If the motor vehicle you buy or lease turns out to be a "lemon," the manufacturer has to replace it free or refund the price (minus a reasonable amount for mileage).

What is a "lemon"?
A new vehicle - no more than a year old and still under warranty - is a "lemon" if:

It has a serious defect the dealer can't fix in four tries, or
It has one or many defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days or more (the 30 days need not be consecutive)
What is a defect?
A defect covered by the Lemon Law must seriously affect the use, value or safety of your vehicle and must be covered by the warranty. An irritating rattle may not be "serious" enough to make your car a lemon. Stalling probably is.

What vehicles are covered?
The law covers any new car, truck, motorcycle or motor home (does not include mopeds, semi-trailers, trailers or non-motorized RVs) you buy or lease, even if you register the vehicle in another state. It also covers a demonstrator or executive vehicle.

How long are you covered?
The lemon law includes no deadline for filing a lemon law suit; a court would decide if your case were too old.

Is your vehicle a lemon?
Your vehicle is a lemon if all of the following statements are true:

You bought or leased a new vehicle.
The vehicle is a car, truck, motorcycle or motor home.
The vehicle developed a defect or defects during its first year and before the warranty expired.
The defect seriously harms the vehicle's use, value or safety.
One of the following happened during the vehicle's first year and before the warranty expired:
The dealer failed four times to fix the same defect; OR
The vehicle was out of service for 30 days or more due to defects
What should a lemon owner do?
Get a repair order for every repair visit, even if the shop doesn't diagnose the problem or attempt a repair. A repair order should show the problem you report, and the dates your car is in the shop.
Keep purchase contracts, warranties, and repair orders to prove you have a lemon. Don't keep repair orders in your car where they may get lost.
We strongly urge you to use the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) Motor Vehicle Lemon Law Notice form to ask the manufacturer for a refund or replacement vehicle. The Lemon Law Notice includes important language required under the lemon law. Send the form to the manufacturer at the address in your owners manual. The manufacturer has 30 days to respond. Your refund should include the full purchase price, sales tax, any finance charge, and collateral costs (for example, repairs, towing, alternative transportation), minus the mileage deduction allowed by law. If you get a replacement vehicle, the manufacturer should refund your collateral costs and charge nothing for mileage.
If you return to the manufacturer a vehicle that has missing equipment or unrepaired damage beyond normal wear and tear, a manufacturer may want to negotiate a damage deduction. You should not be responsible for paying for normal wear and tear, such as minor dents, scratches, pitted glass, soiled carpets, minor stains or tears. Feel free to have the damage appraised at a location you choose, or to have it repaired rather than paying a deduction.
If you don't get a refund or replacement by writing the manufacturer, consider using your manufacturer's arbitration program. If your manufacturer has a program certified by WisDOT, you must use it before you can sue under the Lemon Law. If your manufacturer's program is not certified, you do not have to use it. However, if you do use it, you might get a decision you like. You can reject any decision you don't like. See the list of arbitration programs listed below.
Talk to an attorney if the manufacturer doesn't help you. A court may need to decide if your vehicle is a lemon and what settlement you deserve. If you sue the manufacturer and win, you could get double the vehicle purchase price, plus other costs and attorney fees. To find an attorney who handles Lemon Law cases, contact the State Bar of Wisconsin Attorney Referral Service toll-free at (800) 362-9082, or at (608) 257-4666 or WisBar Lawyer Referral and Information Service.
Who can you call for help?
WisDOT's Dealer & Agent Section licenses and regulates dealers and manufacturers and helps resolve disputes about vehicle sales and warranties. Contact the Dealer & Agent Section if you have a complaint against a dealer or manufacturer.

The Dealer & Agent Section won't resolve your Lemon Law complaint for you, but it will give you more information about exercising your rights under the Lemon Law.

U.S. DOT auto safety hotline
If you own a car or truck that you feel has a safety defect you should report the problem to the Hotline at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

The U.S. DOT Auto Safety Hotline specializes in gathering information about safety problems in motor vehicles and equipment and is your chance to help identify these problems which sometimes lead to recalls. The Hotline can be dialed toll free at (888) DASH-2-DOT or (888) 327-4236 or you can now file your vehicle safety defect report online.

Certified by the State of Wisconsin:
BBB Auto Line
Better Business Bureau Auto Line
4200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22203-1838
(800) 955-5100

(Certified for: Audi, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Hyundai, Isuzu, Kia, Mazda, Volkswagen, Nissan, Infiniti)
(Non-certified for: AM General, General Motors, Saturn, Saab, Geo, Subaru, Bentley Motor, Indian Motorcycle, Land Rover, Lotus Cars, smart USA, Workhorse Custom Chassis)

If you have questions:

E-mail: [email protected]
Call: (608) 266-1425
FAX: (608) 267-0323
Write to the address below:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Dealer & Agent Section
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 201
P.O. Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
1. The defect seriously harms the vehicle's use, value or safety.
2. The vehicle was out of service for 30 days or more due to defects

Well there you go, you've stated the vehicle has already been out of service for more than 30 days. And if you disclose the work done under warranty, you'll have a hard time selling it. I know I would not buy it for $10k under msrp, maybe someone out there would give you $2k under? Not I. I would call Ford and start the process.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
1. The defect seriously harms the vehicle's use, value or safety.
2. The vehicle was out of service for 30 days or more due to defects

Well there you go, you've stated the vehicle has already been out of service for more than 30 days. And if you disclose the work done under warranty, you'll have a hard time selling it. I know I would not buy it for $10k under msrp, maybe someone out there would give you $2k under? Not I. I would call Ford and start the process.

But the vehicle has been fixed and is operational- unless I am missing something.

Also- the lemon law is between you and Ford- not because of a bad experience with the dealer.

He said that the car was out of service for more than 30 days total.
I believe it has to be 30 consecutive days.

I'm sorry but because he said things have changed for him personally it just sounds to me like there's more to this- and there's some buyers remorse. Why take that out on the manufacturer? Or the dealer? Dont like the car. Sell it.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
But the vehicle has been fixed and is operational- unless I am missing something.

Also- the lemon law is between you and Ford- not because of a bad experience with the dealer.

He said that the car was out of service for more than 30 days total.
I believe it has to be 30 consecutive days.

I'm sorry but because he said things have changed for him personally it just sounds to me like there's more to this- and there's some buyers remorse. Why take that out on the manufacturer? Or the dealer? Dont like the car. Sell it.

Ill sell it to you for msrp. I'll throw in the 770hp kit I bought from lethal that is still in a sealed box. Didn't think so. Sure, I've been told the rear no longer squeaks--just as it didn't squeak when it had zero miles on it. I won't know either way until I can put some serious miles on it, and I'm not willing to wait 5 months, while paying on it

Re-read the lemon law statute. Your comprehension fails you. The problem I have with ford was magnified by shitty service at the dealer. The two are linked and intimately part of the complete buying experience.

Last edited:

phinhead34

Established Member
It looks like you have a case. I would be pretty pissed off if I had a new car and it has been in the shop that often. I would also attempt to lemon the car. Getting an attorney is best course of action IMO. Good luck!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ill sell it to you for msrp. I'll throw in the 770hp kit I bought from lethal that is still in a sealed box. Didn't think so. Sure, I've been told the rear no longer squeaks--just as it didn't squeak when it had zero miles on it. I won't know either way until I can put some serious miles on it, and I'm not willing to wait 5 months, while paying on it

Re-read the lemon law statute. Your comprehension fails you. The problem I have with ford was magnified by shitty service at the dealer. The two are linked and intimately part of the complete buying experience.

You've said several times that money isn't an issue. Throw some cash into:

1. Shipping it down South (Florida, etc)
2. Flying your family down there for vacation

That way you can throw on a few hundred miles and see if it is 'fixed'.

OP, I'm sorry that the car is not working out for you and that you are not happy. Honestly, I remember reading your thread about the clutch going out with your kids in the backseat. I think that is the whole reason you want to get rid of your car.

I don't think your car will be covered under the lemon law clause though..

I wish you all the best, and that whatever ends up happening is best for you and your family. :beer:

Edit: Not to rub salt in the wound, but if you do get rid of the 770hp kit....shoot me a pm.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I'm at disney right now. This is my family vacation to florida. We'll see if I have a case or not. Dealership didn't call me today. Other option is to just keep the car, gut it, and turn it into a street-legal cobra jet.

mullens

Established Member
I'm at disney right now. This is my family vacation to florida. We'll see if I have a case or not. Dealership didn't call me today. Other option is to just keep the car, gut it, and turn it into a street-legal cobra jet.

Trade it for a new Boss. Start over.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

My comprehension doesn't fail me. I read the statute. Bottom line you are dissatisfied with the car. The car is not a lemon. I stand by my assertion that it will not be a lemon law case.

Since you don't like the car- do what everyone else does, when they don't like something - and sell it.

I get pissed when people have buyers remorse and want someone else to take care of it for them. Your car is fixed, and works. It's not a lemon.

mullens

Established Member
Although OP's car may not legally fit the criteria of a "lemon", I can certainly understand his frustration. Think about it.. you go through all the BS of buying these cars, then clutch blows up, rear end goes, car is in the shop more than his garage. Forget the rattles and console, as they are minor annoyances. Buyers remorse would be more "damn I should have got red instead of blue or "I really can't afford this car". I think this goes a little beyond that and any one of us would be incensed at what he went through. If it were me, I'd keep the car, hoping that all the bad stuff is behind me. At least he got a new clutch under warranty, which is not always the case.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Although OP's car may not legally fit the criteria of a "lemon", I can certainly understand his frustration. Think about it.. you go through all the BS of buying these cars, then clutch blows up, rear end goes, car is in the shop more than his garage. Forget the rattles and console, as they are minor annoyances. Buyers remorse would be more "damn I should have got red instead of blue or "I really can't afford this car". I think this goes a little beyond that and any one of us would be incensed at what he went through. If it were me, I'd keep the car, hoping that all the bad stuff is behind me. At least he got a new clutch under warranty, which is not always the case.

Exactly- but he wants to bring a lemon law case. I'm trying to tell him to save his time and money with a lemon case- when it's not a lemon

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Well I would be pissed too if I had to jump through so many hoops to get a brand-new car running right. Then on top of that having to baby the car longer than normal because parts were switched out. All of that would sour me of the car too. I don't blame him for wanting to get rid of it.

If money wasn't an issue I would try to privately sell the car with all work done to it fully disclosed. If that didn't work I suppose I would try and lemon the car, although I didn't read what his states considers a lemon car so not sure if there is a shot at that. ORRRR, just sell it to me for $15,000 and call it a day, ha ;-). Seriously though, sorry for your troubles, I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
OP, I feel your pain and I understand you are frustrated.....

However my honest opinion at this point is just sell the car to someone who wants it. There are plenty of guys out there who are probably willing to take it as is and make some modifications. There is nothing wrong with the engine, body or the new clutch now. It has a nagging whine issue in the rear which many of us have. You are unhappy and dissatisfied with the car....so get rid of it and buy yourself that porsche, new viper or GTR like you asked in the thread you made in roadside. Good luck to you

RamonSVT

Established Member
You said you are in Wisconsin? I left you a message on your wall about emailing me on the car. Im interested thanks

Users who are viewing this thread