When do you put your Mustang in storage?

Electrokid

Established Member
-40, sand and salt. No thank you.

Mine went away to a storage garage last weekend and it will come back out some time in April. It sucks even worse because I don't even get to see it or mod it over the winter because it isn't at home.

Yes, homeowners policy will cover 100% of anything in the garage. Some insurers don't cover that, you're correct, so I'd call your agent and ask if anyone is thinking of doing this. May save you some money if they will cover it.

I have to put two different insurances on my car because my provincial insurance does not cover impact, so if the roof of the garage caved in due to snow or whatever the vehicle would not be covered.
The sad truth is that it costs more to store my car over winter than it does to drive it all Summer. I only ended up putting one tank of gas in the car all Summer.

Last edited:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
I have worked in Aviation for years. Generally mine stays in storage most of the time I worked out of town and that was most of the time. I did keep up with various car shows and the like and if there was a show coming up I would get it out for a little while, then right back into storage. It is in storage right now. it is in storage right now mainly because I have not been released to drive after my stroke and heart attack. There is a car show coming up on 12/14, a Toys for Tots show. I will get it out for that, weather permitting. My brother in law will drive me down to Enterprise AL if I have not been released to drive. After that it will be going back into storage for a good while.

Since my Fox Convertible was super low mileage when I bought it in 98 and it stays in storage so much it only has 46,000 miles on it. What do the rest of you guys do to prep your rides for storage? I generally wash and wax mine, put it into the rented storage unit, disconnect the battery and put the car cover on it. I do try to get it out at least once every 2 months and drive it on a good day a very few miles, then back into storage.

The Snake

billsigf1_zps0d79b1a4.jpg

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
move to texas, you never have that problem

^This.

I retired my Cobra from very brief daily driver duty last month. I have to tell you though, every time I get in my 99 Tahoe to come to work I miss driving my car. And it hurts to shell out big payments for something you don't really drive.

I think this is how people get into the mindset that they should sell their car because they aren't driving it enough to warrant the payment or warrant it taking up garage space/insurance/etc.

I hope I don't have that happen...because I truly enjoy my Cobra every time I get in it. :rockon:

03 deadpool

Established Member
I kinda play by ear usually after the first snow its in my garage for good.My cheap ass town uses this "anti skid" crap and the roads need a few good rains to wash them clean that crap sticks to your tires and you here it bouncing off your undercarriage.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I think this is how people get into the mindset that they should sell their car because they aren't driving it enough to warrant the payment or warrant it taking up garage space/insurance/etc.

That's kinda where I am with the V, but for different reasons... It rolled 25k miles a few weeks ago and I legitimately felt bad because it's such a damn rare car...almost made me want to park it, but then I just can't justify keeping it. I hate the thought of owning something I feel bad about driving so much I'd almost rather not own it.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
To those who take their Mustang have auto insurance and use home owners, I would have one hesitation. You basically only need comp. for a few short months is cheap. Most likely, any damage that occurs to a car would be relatively minor, in which case you might not want to make a home owners claim and raise your home owners insurance over a $1000 - $3000 issue. My deduct for home owners policy alone is $1000 compared to $250 for comp auto deductible. I mean, chances are a car won't be totalled...if it is, the garage probably is to. Then might as well use the home owners policy.

That's my $.02...your thoughts?

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Mines up for about 3 weeks now. I need to get some Stabil and run her for a few minutes and cover her up for the winter. I went out today and clean on her a little. I hate winter and not getting to play with her.

Riptide

Established Member
Cupcake winters here in SE montucky for the last 10 years +. If the roads are clear I'll drive it even if it's cold out. Snow doesn't stay on the ground consistently so there are often opportunities to keep it driven.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
Mine is officially "put away" in the garage, since we got a light dusting of snow last night. I HATE my car being dirty, so the slightest chance of any crap being on the road makes me put it away.

I only get it out once in a while during the winter so I can cycle the fluids and keep everything fresh. Although I do hate paying lots of money for a car I'm not driving..

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I dodged a bullet last night, snow barely missed my area - just the slightest dusting on the grass - no salt was put down. I'm hoping for another month then will just see how it goes. I was out yesterday afternoon - top down, 60 degrees out. Actually saw a ton of guys out on their bikes doing the same thing - trying to get another ride in before possibly bad weather.

Sick03Vert

Banned
That's kinda where I am with the V, but for different reasons... It rolled 25k miles a few weeks ago and I legitimately felt bad because it's such a damn rare car...almost made me want to park it, but then I just can't justify keeping it. I hate the thought of owning something I feel bad about driving so much I'd almost rather not own it.

I completely understand.

I bought my car with 16k on it about 6 months ago. Now it has a few hundred under 19k on it and I feel terrible, even though that's well below the driving average for mileage.

My 1999 Tahoe is nice for what it is, but it isn't nearly the same of course. And there's many times where I'm driving to work in it and I start to wonder why I'm shelling out for the Cobra that I MIGHT drive each weekend at the most now.

It just so happened to be a low mileage 10th Anniversary coupe. With the rarity of those, I hate to put miles on it. But then I think hey, isn't that what the car is for? And each day it sits in the garage I feel like I should be driving it, but when I drive it I stress about the mileage. So now I have my dream car that I'm unhappy with because I can't figure out whether to drive it or try and keep it parked. :(

So yeah, I know exactly how you feel.

nonliberal

Established Member
Mid october I switch from E85, detune it back to 93 and put the street tires back on. Then it only gets driven on pretty days with a clear forecast and no salt residue flying around.

mjs1012

Established Member
Not a mustang but Ill put my camaro away right before the first real snow storm or early December. I have a carport next to the garage that it goes in with a cover on it. I usually wait til mid march after theres been a good rain storm or 2 to wash away all the salt and sand off the road.

Its snowing as I type this but not sticking and supposed to stop and turn to rain so the car is still out. Supposed to be in the 50s this weekend so Ill enjoy it while I can.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Not a mustang but Ill put my camaro away right before the first real snow storm or early December. I have a carport next to the garage that it goes in with a cover on it. I usually wait til mid march after theres been a good rain storm or 2 to wash away all the salt and sand off the road.

Its snowing as I type this but not sticking and supposed to stop and turn to rain so the car is still out. Supposed to be in the 50s this weekend so Ill enjoy it while I can.

So you must have something very awesome in the garage?

Or are you living in the garage with a carport to store your Camaro??? Matching mullet?! You don't have to match the stereotypes just because you have a Camaro.

Posted via Topify using Android

Users who are viewing this thread