where do they get this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
Question for LEOs. I was just wondering if you guys knew where people get such information as, "they can't write you a ticket if they don't have their parking lights on while using rader", or "Can't write you a ticket if he wasn't wearing his hat. He is out of uniform if he is not wearing his hat". or good ones such as "He can't write me a ticket if he doesn't let me see his radar". Some even believe that they can't get a ticket if they are doing the same speed as a patrol car that is doing 85 on an express way. (guess it makes not difference that he may be on his way to a call). I'm sure you all have heard many more.

So with that, what is the wildest "false technicality" you have heard, and where do these things originate? I know that all rumors are usually based on some tiny shread of truth. Does that hold true for these "false technicalities"?

Just humor me
Thanks

Elliotness

Established Member
My favorite is, "If you ask an undercover police officer if he is an officer he must tell you the truth."

LOL

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Elliotness said:
My favorite is, "If you ask an undercover police officer if he is an officer he must tell you the truth."

LOL
Agreed. I have picked up so many hookers, and every one asks "are you a cop". Like I would say "yes, I am". Then when they are arrested thay say "you cat arrest me cause I asked if you were a cop.

jshen

Established Member
I like the "you can't arrest me for DUI on my property...I made it home before you got me stopped..." :dw:

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
lol. those are pretty funny.

Another one that i have heard people say is that if you throw the keys from the truck they can't give you a DWI because the keys were not in the ingition.

Lawman85

Banned
I had a guy tell me that I was lying about the radar reading because "radar's don't work if the police car is moving". He said he was a radar operator in the military and knew it was impossible for them to work like that.

XtremeAceX

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I had a guy tell me that I was lying about the radar reading because "radar's don't work if the police car is moving". He said he was a radar operator in the military and knew it was impossible for them to work like that.

HAHAHA you must have been laughing at him.. i know i would have :lol:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Elliotness said:

LOL

I too love that one! Since my title is NOT police officer, I wouldnt be lying.

Or that the police cant lie to you.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Hey Jshen. I liked that one. It was in the paper here a few years ago and also all over the TV about the man, in KY, sitting on his riding lawn mower drinking a beer and also drunk. His wife called the cops and they arrested him for DUI. In KY they have a law saying you can not operate or use any motorized equipment while intoxicated. The poor old fellow about died because he argued he was on his property and wasn't breaking any laws. He found out otherwise. I could not imagine being on a farm riding a riding lawn mower and being arrest for DUI. Hilarious. But again most of KY is dry so that could have been why the law was written in the first place.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know where people come up with half the shit that they do. Today I was working overtime for the "click it or tick it" capaigne. The state pays us $50. and hour to go out and enforce the seat belt laws in the state. The idea is that if you can get someone to do something for two weeks straight, they will most likely do it for the rest of their lives. So, the state has this campain where they plaster it all over the radio that cops will have a "no tolerance" approach to seat belt summons' for two weeks. If you don't wear it and get caught, your getting a ticket durring those two weeks.
Well anyway, I had a 50 year old lady today get out of the car after getting a seatbelt ticket and tell me that since she was from Philly she didn't have to obey our laws. Long story short, she started cursing very loud and I warned her three times to stop. Eventually I was forced to place uner arrest at which time she began litterly fighting with me. We ended up wresteling around for a good 5-10 minutes before I fienally had to put her on the ground and cuff her.
This lady got locked up and charged with 4th degree resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, all because she didnt want to pay a $46 seat belt ticket. Not to mention the embaressment (we both sufford) of trying to fist fight a cop in the middle of a shopping center parking lot.

Last edited:

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
I guess the "Click it or Ticket" campaign must be a nation wide thing. They are doing it here in Arkansas too. Actually, now we can be pulled over if they see that our seatbelt is not in use. Up until about a year ago, they could write us a ticket, but they had to pull us over for another PC before they could site us for it.

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
i don't see why people are so against wearing their seatbelts. is it like really that uncomfortable or whatever?

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
its not cool to them. I get in my car a lot of times and forget to put it on, but as soon as I think about it, I'm clicked in.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think for the most part it's a habbit for me. I don't even realize that I am putting on anymore. If we get in an accident in a Police Car and we're not wearing, we are SOL for any medical bills or damage because our insurance won't cover us if they find out we neglected to wear it. That's enough incentive for me since I drive 12 hours a day, I'm bound to mess something up sooner or later.

tistan

Established Member
i don't see why people are so against wearing their seatbelts. is it like really that uncomfortable or whatever?

I think it is more about we are supposed to be free Americans, and we show resistance when the government tries to force us to do something. Really this law is all about the insurrance companies. They figure if everyone wears their seatbelt then there will be less injuries sustaind in a accident. So they talk the lawmakers into forcing everyone to wear a seatbelt to try to save money.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
In this mountainous area in WV and Eastern KY actually the same amount or more people die while wearing their seatbelts. Up until about 6 or 7 years ago when they made it law here I was totally against wearing seatbelts because I thought it should be my right. Well times have changed and so have my thoughts. With the better designs of cars today and with the safety zones built into them a seatbelt is just one more piece of the equipment needed to save our butts from people who drive drunk, or on drugs, you know DUI. My 90 GT's seatbelts are a major pain but the rest of my vehicles the belts sit and work fine. I believe back in 84 when I was hit in the back end of my Trans Am by a girl trying to out run a state trooper if I had of been wearing a seatbelt then I would have been dead. The doctors told me only reason I am alive was that I had reached out to turn off the A/C and was in a relaxed position and did not tense up as I would have if I had seen what was going to happen. It still about broke my neck but if I would have been wearing my seatbelt then my neck would have taken all the whiplash force.
And on the mention of park lights on in the first post. I believe in WV a night they are supposed to have their park lights on before they can ticket you. This was the case in the past unless in the last few years lawmakers have changed it. Now KY is a different story. They can sit half way upon top of the mountain where you don't even know that they are there and clock your speed. On a trip to Cincinnati a few years ago I was traveling on a section of road called the Double A Highway. I was travelling at 55-57 with cruise on and had been warned about the officers being tough on this highway but it cuts about 1 to 1 1/2 hours off the trip. My radar detector went off yet I had about a 1 mile or more stretch of straight road and there was nothing coming. While scanning the horizon, low and behold half way up on the side of the mountain on a gas well road I saw sunlight reflecting. As I approached that area here came a police car off the side of the mountain and intercepted me about the time I got to him. He waved and the proceeded to pull out and go in the direction I just came from. You talk about the ultimate range for his radar I just glad I don't speed that often cause I would have been in trouble.

hunterp

Established Member
thenoz said:

Not uncomfortable and I do it just because it makes sense, not because I could be ticketed for not doing it. However, I do object to the law in it's current form. I'm basically tired of the government's increasing interference in how I live my life, all being doing at the behest of special interests and safety nannies, who feel they need to force their views on everyone else. I do feel that a driver should be ticketed if they have passengers in the car and don't wear a belt, since they are responsible for other people, however, I believe that a driver by themselves, should not be ticketed for not wearing a belt.

shfd739

Established Member
I agree with the click it or ticket.The law is to help you have a better chance of redeuced injury in a wreck.Also with airbags it keeps you in the proper position for the airbag to do its job and not cause injury.Ive lost count of how many wrecks Ive responded to and if the person would have been wearing their seatbelt they would have lived.

tistan

Established Member
I agree with the click it or ticket.The law is to help you have a better chance of redeuced injury in a wreck.Also with airbags it keeps you in the proper position for the airbag to do its job and not cause injury.Ive lost count of how many wrecks Ive responded to and if the person would have been wearing their seatbelt they would have lived.
Do we also need a law that forces people to get a yearly physical? We could catch diseases and heart problems early on and save lives.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
"Do we also need a law that forces people to get a yearly physical? We could catch diseases and heart problems early on and save lives."

that sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread