where do they get this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginsu

Established Member
Wow this thread has been hijacked! Anyway I guess I will contribute my two cents.

I would not doubt the seatbelt laws have something to do with insurance company lobbyists, but it also has allot to do with how much money different jurisdictions have to pay out when working accidents. An accident with injuries and deaths require allot of different organizations involved. More police units to secure and investigate the scene (instead on the road to answer other calls or calling out standby special investigation units), fire department and equipment to extract provide first aid and clean up HAZMAT. EMS units or life flight helicopters, ECT. All of which are passed on to the taxpayer.

Yes I do agree most Americans, by nature, pride their selves in resisting authority and the government imposing another law sits wrong with people. But what I find funny is some of the same who rebel against one law also call for intervention, by the government, to infringe on our civil rights! A classic case in point is gun control activists! Once we give the government access to our civil rights, they will not stop.

dpotter

Established Member
No law had to be enacted for my wife and I to wear our seat belts. We were in my '85 Camaro and got hit pretty much head-on by a courier in a small pickup. Neither of us went all the way through the windshield, close enough though. Neither of us will ever be the same, neck and back screwed up in places for life.

Take a header through the windshield, bet you buckle-up every time you get in a vehicle after that. Try reaching waaaay back for that Cobra buckle with a couple herniated discs in your neck or back....it hurts but I know it's better than another trip to the hood.

Back to the good stuff, you LEO's have to have some moronic responses from ticket recipients you can share.

Lawman85

Banned
Here's a good one for you guys.... Last night a HUGE tree got blown over during the rain and completely blocked a 2 lane road. One officer was parked directly in front of the tree, sideways, with his lights on at 4am, blocking the road. A citizen pulls up and asks "Is the road closed?"... he says "No, I just couldn't find anywhere else to park"... the citizen goes on to ask, "Are you guys going to remove that tree?", he responds... "No, we are installing a ramp so citizens can just jump over it."..... Here's your sign.....

Ginsu

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Here's a good one for you guys.... Last night a HUGE tree got blown over during the rain and completely blocked a 2 lane road. One officer was parked directly in front of the tree, sideways, with his lights on at 4am, blocking the road. A citizen pulls up and asks "Is the road closed?"... he says "No, I just couldn't find anywhere else to park"... the citizen goes on to ask, "Are you guys going to remove that tree?", he responds... "No, we are installing a ramp so citizens can just jump over it."..... Here's your sign.....

There were times I wish I had a stock of dunce caps for citizens who asked stupid questions like that :lol: :shrug:

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
I think for the most part it's a habbit for me. I don't even realize that I am putting on anymore. If we get in an accident in a Police Car and we're not wearing, we are SOL for any medical bills or damage because our insurance won't cover us if they find out we neglected to wear it. That's enough incentive for me since I drive 12 hours a day, I'm bound to mess something up sooner or later.

I'm glad my agency doesn't harp on that. For me, I never wear a seatbelt in the cruiser cause I drive 100% in the city, and I get in and out so often, its a real pain. With DC traffic, I am lucky to get going over 40mph, so I don't worry about it.

In the Cobra, the belt is on 100%.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Hey Lawman85, I just read the post about the tree. I laughed and laughed. There are actually people out there that would whole heartedly believe that and go tell everyone else.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
One of my brother's friends brought an idiot cokehead/everything else to our apartment yesterday. Guy wouldn't shut up about how smart he is when dealing with cops. Apparently if he's ever pulled over, he just has to clearly state, "I will consent to nothing without my lawyer present in a court of law." So then the LEO can't do anything but take him to court, wait for his lawyer and the judges, and have a trial right there.

:loser:

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
I don't know where people come up with half the shit that they do. Today I was working overtime for the "click it or tick it" capaigne. The state pays us $50. and hour to go out and enforce the seat belt laws in the state....

Editted by Moderator for Content. Please go to the top of the threads page and READ the guidelines for this forum. After doing so, if you can follow those guidelines feel free to post constructively here, if not dont post here.

Edited: Now with 100% less flame!

Last edited by a moderator:

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
shfd739 said:
I agree with the click it or ticket.The law is to help you have a better chance of redeuced injury in a wreck.Also with airbags it keeps you in the proper position for the airbag to do its job and not cause injury.Ive lost count of how many wrecks Ive responded to and if the person would have been wearing their seatbelt they would have lived.

So you would rather not make the intelligent decision yourself to wear your seat belt? You would rather let your state make you wear your seat belt by threat of fine and ultimately force (if you didn't pay, i.e.)?? Since you need someone to tell you to wear your SB and I don't - how about you not support a law that fines me if I happen to get caught not wearing it for 5 minutes or whatever b/c I had to reach down and pick up something from the floor, etc? Is that fair. Should I make a law that requires you to drive with your windows up since doing otherwise at highway speeds is bad for your hearing?

Geez - I am absolutely amazed at peoples' willingness turn over their freedom to make a decision to a government.

tistan

Established Member
Should I make a law that requires you to drive with your windows up since doing otherwise at highway speeds is bad for your hearing?

Since the post is where do they get this stuff I am going to ask you where you get this imformation. I drive widows down all the time and I was just curious if there has been a study done.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
tistan said:
Since the post is where do they get this stuff I am going to ask you where you get this imformation. I drive widows down all the time and I was just curious if there has been a study done.

I've read studies and it's a problem among truckers. The hearing in their left ear typically degrades over time as a result of driving with the window down (not to mention the left arm gets more of a tan than the right :-D ).

Anyway, I'm sure you can google it if you actually want to look it up but that's not the point. The point is I can make a law banning smoking (cancer, etc.), or alcohol (liver disease, etc.), forcing people with health problems to excercise, etc. if someone can make a law forcing me to wear a seat belt.

jshen

Established Member
It Your Legislators/Congressmen

"Geez - I am absolutely amazed at peoples' willingness turn over their freedom to make a decision to a government"

We did when we elected our respresentatives..something a lot of other countries don't have. Whether you like the law or not...it came into being for a reason...too many damned traffic fatilities...You will see other bans come into increased national focus..and then law..such as the use of cellphones while driving...drivers watching DVDs while driving...etc. Some laws I don't like...but that's the price of living here [ I would like the right to shoot the left lane hogs ]...just kidding...Hmmm

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
jshen said:
"Geez - I am absolutely amazed at peoples' willingness turn over their freedom to make a decision to a government"

We did when we elected our respresentatives..something a lot of other countries don't have. Whether you like the law or not...it came into being for a reason...too many damned traffic fatilities...You will see other bans come into increased national focus..and then law..such as the use of cellphones while driving...drivers watching DVDs while driving...etc. Some laws I don't like...but that's the price of living here [ I would like the right to shoot the left lane hogs ]...just kidding...Hmmm

The point I think is trying to be made here is that no governing body, here, or otherwise, has the right to tell me what I can and can't do to myself. Now, if the law is in place to protect others from ones self ignorance, that is another story. If I am doing something wrecklessly, and only endangering myself, then so be it. Only when that wrecklessness involves others should there be laws or limits imposed. Wearing, or not wearing my seatbelt does NOT endanger anyone else. If personal safety is the issue, then rock climbing, skydiving, skiing, hunting, etc...etc.....should be banned also. This law is in place to protect insurance companies interests, no need for anyone to be naive about it, it's a fact. Let's not forget that insurance corporations are the single-most influential, and powerful organization there is. Insurance corporation contributions play a KEY role in all government election campaigns. ( I saw the 60 minute special they had on this subject about 2 or so years ago....) They strive to help into office the ones they know that will protect their interests. Invoking traffic speed limits, seatbelt infractions, yada yada yada, helps keep insurance payouts extremely lower then they would be without them.....VOILA, higher insurance profits. Money is the bottom line here, as it is in almost everything to do with anything in this country. Believe what you want to........

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Insurance corporation contributions play a KEY role in all government election campaigns. ( I saw the 60 minute special they had on this subject about 2 or so years ago....)

Ah, 60 Minutes, that nationally recognized authority on everything. Of course you know they are owned by a major network that derives a large portion of their revenue from advertisers - including insurance companies.................

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
mswaim said:
Insurance corporation contributions play a KEY role in all government election campaigns. ( I saw the 60 minute special they had on this subject about 2 or so years ago....)

Ah, 60 Minutes, that nationally recognized authority on everything. Of course you know they are owned by a major network that derives a large portion of their revenue from advertisers - including insurance companies.................

MSwaim, Thats a pretty good one. You got him. It was almost up to "owned" standards. lol. :bash:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
mswaim said:

Ohh Lord :rollseyes You know, there is a VERY huge difference in BILLIONS of dollars in political "influence" money, and a couple million for a Geico commercial. Surely you see the difference.......Do you really think for 1 second of your existance that high paid insurance CEO's could give a rats ass about Joe Shmoe being thrown from a car and seriously or fatally injuring himself? Why yes, yes they do, for one reason and one reason only.....MONEY, plain and simple.......

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Seatbelts- not only are they life savers (don't care about arguing this point because people will say its their individual right to screw themselves over) they keep your ass planted in the likely event you become involved in an accident. If its a small accident (most are) if you're planted, you can still somewhat control the car (brake or steer) If you're not planted, even a 35mph crash can send you flee flying all over the car, and when your ass is over your head on the dashboard, good luck trying to stop your car.

If you don't like seat belt laws in your locale, go change em. This is America afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread