Where to buy claybar?

silverstang84

Established Member
Hey fellas, where do you guys buy your claybar? I'm not talking about the "off the shelf" kits that comes with the spray wax and microfiber towel.. I just need the clay. Between me and my wife, we have 5 cars, so I'd like to have a few spare bars in the drawer. Thanks.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Adams.

I guess the clay they have in the UK is really really nice -- way better than anything we have here. But Megs has a patent on clay here in the US, so it can't be imported. Find a British friend and have them ship you some of theirs.

jdcobra

Established Member
Auto geek. Got the medium chemical guys clay kit and works awesome.

crazycarlo

Established Member
The local Advance Auto also sells Griots Garage stuff so I bought a thing of clay from them. Comes with just the clay. So far Ive been happy.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The local Advance Auto also sells Griots Garage stuff so I bought a thing of clay from them. Comes with just the clay. So far Ive been happy.

Didn't know any autoparts stores sold griots garage stuff. I like their clay bar. I want to try some chemical guys clay bar next.

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
I've tried regular clay and one of these ->Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel – Fine Grade. I liked the towel better it won't hold dirt if you drop it you can wash it off and be good to go. I used it on a really badly maintained car it worked awesome, it cleaned up nice. It cost more put you get alot of life out of it.

You might also try using Gary Deans detail juice I saw someone here post about it and gave it a shot I like it alot you can mix it to make detailing spray that is a great bang for the buck. And you can mix it to make a clay lube that works really well.

Adower

Established Member
Just a heads up. All clay is the same. Find the cheapest one you can, dont worry about the "brand".

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I swear I must be the only person ever that doesn't like the nanoskin stuff. I bought a fine sponge and hate it. Maybe it only works on nasty cars. I couldn't get it to not grab the paint no matter which lube I used. I don't have this problem at all with clay.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
I've tried regular clay and one of these ->Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel – Fine Grade. I liked the towel better it won't hold dirt if you drop it you can wash it off and be good to go. I used it on a really badly maintained car it worked awesome, it cleaned up nice. It cost more put you get alot of life out of it.

You might also try using Gary Deans detail juice I saw someone here post about it and gave it a shot I like it alot you can mix it to make detailing spray that is a great bang for the buck. And you can mix it to make a clay lube that works really well.

Just ordered that and some Chemical Guys black light. Can't wait to try it

hoamskilet

Established Member
I swear I must be the only person ever that doesn't like the nanoskin stuff. I bought a fine sponge and hate it. Maybe it only works on nasty cars. I couldn't get it to not grab the paint no matter which lube I used. I don't have this problem at all with clay.
Did you break it in on glass first?

That's really odd. I've got the towel and have had no problem using UWW+ for lube

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Never heard of using it on glass first. I guess I could try that if it might help. Honestly though, I'll probably just stick with regular clay. I like being able to see\feel it change as it picks up contaminants

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
Yes, any Nanoskin Auto-Scrub should be used on the glass first to remove the top surface layer.
Use a good "clay lube" that has a lot of lubricity. I like using an ONR mix. Cool paint is a must.
I prefer the FINE grade (no marring) be it the sponge, towel or mitt. Do not wash it with soap.
After you "clay" a panel, rinse it thoroughly to remove grit before you do the the next section.

And yes, Very good advice!
black92 said:
...I was stupid enough to use it with bug/tar remover and it gummed up (so don't do that...).
That will melt the polymerized rubber.

All clay bars are not the same. When I reach for a clay bar I prefer the Zaino Ultra fine clay bar.

mcate

Established Member
I have to say I just buy the Mother's kits from Advance. I like the microfiber that comes with them, & once I've used up the QD that comes with them I re-use the spray bottles for mixing APC or clay lube.

Users who are viewing this thread