Which clutch kit???

Which one for my sreet/strip application?

• Total voters

greengt88

Established Member
don't forget Ram's new 9.5 & 10.5 twin disc series that just came out. I've also had a centerforce dual friction/billet steel flywheel, 5k RPM clutch drops were never a problem, always hooked up great. I like Ram or centerforce, I also have a buddy running a stroker, stage 3 heads/cams and a 3.4, he runs centerforce also, clutches last him about a year.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
My RST was only able to hold one pass a the track 2 one it slipped and burned up with around 800 miles on it. Funny thing is the stock clutch I took out was still fine and held at the track with the same set up. I have been hearing lately the Mcleods are hit and miss especially with the RST that is rated at 800hp I guess you have to go with there 1000hp clutch to hold a 600+ hp car.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
I voted Spec Stage 3, I have a 3+ and it is awesome! If I go with a 2.8H or a 2.9 Whip I will throw a Mcleod in there.

Digital

Established Member
The spec 3+ clutch for the money is the best clutch we got for these cars period. You can go twin disc mcleod if you got the money. but otherwise a spec 3+ once broken in properly is an amazingly soft clutch and holds tons of power.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
This will probably be the last clutch I ever put in this car, I want a good one. Just don't drive it that much any more because drivability is so poor with this clutch.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
cool thanks, i see you are at kadena? What sq? Any other advice when ordering this? Should I order a new throw out bearing, pilot bearing, I'm going to have my flywheel turned (can I do that if it is aluminum?), anything I am missing? Like I said, i don't want to pull this again....EVER!!

Marc

Established Member
cool thanks, i see you are at kadena? What sq? Any other advice when ordering this? Should I order a new throw out bearing, pilot bearing, I'm going to have my flywheel turned (can I do that if it is aluminum?), anything I am missing? Like I said, i don't want to pull this again....EVER!!

I work in the Public Affairs now over here, but have worked in many squadrons to include Maintenance over two tours. Pretty much a Chief can work just about anywhere they need him/her.

Here is my entire clutch set up that I ordered:

Mcleod RXT 26 Spline Twin Disk Clutch
Mcleod lightned steel flywheel
D&D 26-Spline Input Shaft
Lethal Performance T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve
Ford Racing Pilot Bearing
Ford Racing Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing
Fiore Micro-Click Firewall Adjuster & Quadrant
LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit

As you can see, I didn't spare any change here. I want something that will comfortably handle 700+ HP with more to spare in case I decide to even higher in HP.

My car will be out of storage this year and I will start the build. I will be ordering a 2.8KB Mammoth Supercharger this year.

If you are interested, here is the entire build-thread:

[ame=http://www.unitedstangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36275]Project AGENT ORANGE--My 2004 Cobra Build Thread - UnitedStangs.com "The United Mustang Community"[/ame]

Marc

Established Member
BTW, you are at Grand Forks? Know anyone in Public Affairs there? SrA Amanda Grabiec (just remarried, don't know her last name now) just PCSd in there. She is a photographer. I think she is deployed now. Real nice girl.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Well Chief, I am currently at Bagram but stationed out of Grand Forks. I'm the shirt for the Communications Sq. I have been gone since May so I probably haven't met her but Grand Forks is small and everyone knows everyone there. I like your list of parts there, So none of those clutch components are install yet? I still have a few months over here so going to order a few weeks before I Rip out. Like I said, I wouldn't mind saving a few hundred dollars but I don't want to put a clutch in a car and then hate it. If it is 100% definite that by spending the extra dough, I get an awesome clutch, then I am game. Not too many Chief running around with these cars souped up! Hope I meet you some day, I know I get alot of looks as the first sergeant bringing this to work from time to time. Thanks for all the help and let me know how that clutch feels. Did you order all those parts from one place?

Marc

Established Member
Well when you get back, stop by the Public Affairs shop and say hi to Amanda for me.

I definitely get a lot of looks...especially in a the Comp Orange.

I haven't installed any of these parts. If you go to the build thread on the link above, you will see all the parts that are sitting in my Father's garage back home (I am in Japan) awaiting to be installed.

I researched clutches for a year before I made up my mind. Almost everyone will tell you if you have the funds, get the Mcleod. You can resurface your flywheel, but I chose to go with a new one from Mcleod. I want the "best of the best" going into this build. I am purchasing a PFAB radiator expansion tank soon. Then when I get back to the states, I will get the 2.8KB LC Mammoth. I am building this car to be a show car (many parts under the motor will be chrome or carbon fiber) and something I can tear up the track once in a while. Car has been in storage almost 4 years. Only 17K miles on the clock.

Hopefully we can hook up one day! I just don't want ND after I leave here...I should know next month where I am going. I don't know where, just state-side somewhere.

Marc

Established Member
Forgot...although I have been purchasing a lot of my parts from different vendors, I bought almost my entire clutch setup from Lethal Performance. Great customer service. Matter of fact, Matt from Lethal pretty much chose the set-up above for me and answered all my questions. Lethal has made a ton of money off me. Bought their 1000HP fuel system, dual pass exchanger, and other things as well.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Sounds like a plan, well I will probably stay up late one day or just email them and see what they tell me to do. I live the setup you have, just seems like with work, kids, wife, deployments, etc i barely get it out of the garage let alone the track which is down in fargo over 100 miles away. I tried going down one time and the phone rang with drama before I could even make it down there. Well thanks for all your help and I will check that link out. Should be a beast! I will look her up when I get home, she isn't deployed over here by chance is she. Seeing you are PA, you wouldn't happen to know Col Schnaible by chance?

Marc

Established Member
I don't know where she is right now, somewhere in Afghanistang. And i don't know know if she knows that Colonel. You will know her when you meet her. Cute girl and as bubbly as ever. Really nice.

Yeap, email Matt from Lethal and ask him about the set-up. Tell him I sent you his way as we talk a lot via email. Ask him about my clutch set up.

Would be nice to see you in the states, have a beer, and take the cobras out on a cruise.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I pm'd ya. I will hit matt up and see what he has to say. Yeah that beer and cruise would sound good, good luck on getting a good base state side.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Just had a horrific experience with McLeod's customer service they have tons of excuses when it comes to warranting a clutch so be aware when you get a clutch from them. My RST had a catastrophic sudden failure at less than 800 miles and 2 track passes. McLeod eventually told me that the RST can not withstand very much heat at all and should not be used at the drag strip and especially not with a decent tire like a M/T street radial II. So I would run far away from an RST. Oh and also if you ever take your car to the track at all they consider it a drag car from there own out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread