• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Which clutch kit???

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by turbov6joe, Apr 10, 2010.

Which one for my sreet/strip application?

1. Fidanza 3.2

4.3%
  2. Spec Stage 3

57.4%
  3. Ram Powergrip HD

9.9%
  4. Centerforce dual friction

28.4%
  1. SVT-BansheeMan

SVT-BansheeMan na na, hey hey, goodbye Established Member

26 spline spec 3+ in my heavy truck. Hopefully it holds when i hit the track soon. My next clutch will be dual disk though, unsure of brand or type.

2. Mystichrome#365

Mystichrome#365 New Member Established Member

i got the McLeod RXT twin disc in mine and it's a daily driver i love this clutch it feels way better than the spec 3 i had in my last car and it's smooth and has less chatter

3. SVT-BansheeMan

SVT-BansheeMan na na, hey hey, goodbye Established Member

Noticeably easier to push the pedal than with your former Spec 3?

4. Posi

Posi Had a blast. Established Member

^Mine honestly was probably half the effort when I switched from my 3+ to the RXT.

5. nooner

nooner New Member Established Member

"...less chatter"??? Are you getting ANY chatter with the RXT? :dw:

6. gamebred26

gamebred26 Active Member Established Member

i have a spec 3+ and am hating it so far...no slip what so ever. i cant get the car to hook at all with it. it holds power but whats the point. as soon as it engages it grabs very harsh.

can anyone recomend a clutch that will slip a little on launch and hold 700whp? cause i am hating this clutch.

7. streetone01

streetone01 SVT Established Member

I also have a spec stage 3+ with aluminum flywheel. The reason I came to this thread is because i hate it for street use. Im 90% street use these days, the stage 3 spec is incredibly harsh and grabby, as stated above. Im also looking for a smooth stock like feel that can hold some power 640ish in my case.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. nooner

I LOVE my RXT. Because of my cams, I have to get the revs up a bit and slip the clutch a lot to get a smooth easy start and its very easy to do with the RXT. Its as smooth as stock, but its a lot lower pedal pressure than stock. And I'm pushing about 620 rwhp right now on my break-in tune. You can't go wrong with this clutch.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. gamebred26

So you can slp that clutch on your take off? Where is the cheapest place to get one? My dilemma is a buddy of mine has a built c4 he will sell me for $1500...and i dont think spending $1000+ for a clutch makes much sense.

10. nooner

Posi of Posi Performance sells them and I think you can get the best price from him. I didn't find that out until after I bought mine from Lethal Performance for $882.28 once discount (SVTPERF for 5% off), taxes, and shipping are all figured in.

11. gamebred26

U got the rst for that price or rxt?

12. nooner

RXT. The RST was $200 cheaper. I upgraded to the RXT when I put the new engine in.

13. Tims97SVT

Tims97SVT Active Member Established Member

Promotion will make you one.

Op, call promotion powertrain for your clutch needs.

14. ZincSVT

ZincSVT Member Established Member

i wander if the vendor was lethal :rollseyes

15. BIGPWR

BIGPWR New Member Established Member

I installed a 26 spline McLeod RXT in my son's 608 RWHP 03 Cobra. The clutch grabs at the top of the pedal and utilizes full pedal stroke to completely engage/disengage, leaving no room for TOB freeplay. Hill starts are terrible! Worst of all, between 1,400 to 1,750 RPM's in 3rd & 4th gear, the clutch resonates an intolerable noise, sounding like a loose exhaust. Two speed shops told me it was due to the lack of a Marcel on the clutch discs. Reinstalling the stock clutch eliminated the noise and proved their point. Tech support at McLeod is awful! Lee is the only one who knows what he's talking about, but he is seldom available and doesn't return phone calls, which leaves you to talk to the lead tech support guy who thinks "a 10 spline input shaft is all you should ever need". For me, McLeod is a one and done, and I'll be ordering a Centerforce DYAD which has dampening for both clutch discs.

16. nooner

The sound you describe seems to be an exact description of what I heard from my stock clutch when I bought the car, kind of sounded like sheet metal slapping against something. And I could feel it in the pedal. A new clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster eliminated that noise. Or maybe that's not the same noise, I don't know. When first installed, mine engaged at the top of the pedal as well, but my mechanic was able to adjust it down close to the middle of travel without having to go to an adjustable pivot ball. It's perfect now. But there was something wrong with your setup (install or parts?) because engagement travel should be very small, and it shouldn't make any noise. Mine doesn't. I can't say much about Mcleod tech support because I only spoke to them once (about converting an RST to an RXT) but they answered my questions satisfactorily. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the RXT because I think you are missing out on a great clutch.

17. DSGWhippedSnake

DSGWhippedSnake Right you are ken Established Member

Only thing I will say, I just put a promotion 650hp 26 spline clutch in mine. The clutch did everything it should, smooth engagement, light pedal etc. But after only 2,500 miles it's already slipping. My first pass out at the track with it was horrible. The clutch just would not grab at all. Slipped out of the hole, into 2nd and again into 3rd before I just shut it down. I did a 600-700 mile break in period when I installed it for extra piece of mind. No matter how I tweak the adjustment, it just will not go away. The slip is still there. It will slip on the highway between 3rd-4th gear shifts and forget about any burnouts/holeshots. 1st gear holds but once you wack 2nd, it goes up in smoke. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. My stock clutch took 60k miles of pure abuse and held up like a champ. As well as my Fidanza 4.3....if it weren't for the metallic screech upon engagement, that clutch would still be in the car. I spoke to Wally (from promotion) on the phone and he did everything he could to help me out and talk me through any solutions. I am not blaming him nor the company for a bad product, just sharing my experience. Many guys on here run promotion equipment in their cobras with no issues....like I said, I love the way the clutch behaves and drives but the slipping issue has been persistent. Not sure what I am going to do to resolve it. Once I take the car apart again I will post more details. I am just disappointed in the clutch's lack of strength so it seems. If you want a clutch that will take some abuse, I wouldn't choose the promotion I have. It's great for daily driving purposes and some less than mild fun thrown at it. But I will say, next time around I will be going with a Spec 3+ and flywheel. Seems to be the most tried and true less expensive clutch for these cars.

18. Black-Venom

Black-Venom 03 Venomus Established Member

Well guys after reading this thread I feel lost ha ha, my stock clutch has started to chatter and rattle. I thought i would do some research to see what a good mid grade clutch would be because I don't want to spend a ton of money and go over board on a clutch when all i ever plan on having for HP is 550-600, and im currently in the 415 HP range.

Now im torn in what to get, I actually like having a little heavier "stiff" clutch because its NOT a DD. I'v driven my cousins 12 5.0 and I think its to light and DD feeling for me, I like the rawness of a car. So not entirely sure what to do? I should buy one soon and try to put it in soon since there is a break in period and i dont think i put on more then 500 miles a year.

please help, also has anyone changed their own clutches? whats the difficulty level?

19. MBoyle1

MBoyle1 redfire Established Member

I voted spec but 3+

20. DSGWhippedSnake

DSGWhippedSnake Right you are ken Established Member

+1 I also vote the same....many swear by it.