Which is faster mach 1 or 01 cobra?

WHITE99SNAKE

Established Member
Compression

Summary = Mach's faster - but there is nothing wrong with the old snake. Sorry to be detailed and type so much but that is what this thread is for right?

One other thing not mentioned....

The Mach has a higher compression ratio than the NA Cobra. I think the combination of the compression ratio, 3.55's, solid axle, and cam (ground for better low end and mid range) make it quicker through the 1/8-1/4 out of the box.

I don't know what you would consider more "aggressive" as far as cam profiles go. According to the MM&FF article the lift is only .002 apart while the duration is significantly longer for the Cobra. I would consider a cam with the same lift but keeping the valve open longer to be more aggressive than one that closed the valve sooner. Having that said..... If the Mach cam makes more power from say 1-6,000 RPMS and the Cobra "maybe" only makes more power from 6-7,000 RPM's then the Mach certainly has the greater average HP (I don't have a source for that information - I am simply guessing based upon my dyno sheets vs similar Mach's). I think the better average HP will win a drag race every time - especially if the Mach is covering the Cobra for both low end and mid-range.

I do think that on a twisty track where the Cobra driver could keep the RPM's up and take advantage of the IRS as well as the better weight distribution (lighter front and heavier rear make is closer to 50/50) it could have the advantage.

Either way I think this argument is like splitting hairs. The cars are very close and once modded anything can happen.

Does anyone know how different the the Mach's engine is to that of the Marauder/Aviator? I have a Lincoln Aviator and other than the intake and throttle body I am wondering if the motor is the basically the same? It would make sense for FOMOCO to make bascially just 1 engine for all three of these vehicles and not keep making the Cobra motor which would have a harder time pulling the Aviator and Marauder.

Some one told me to get a clue last time I mentioned the Mach and Marauder's engines similarity....... Looks like MM&FF made the same comment??? :poke:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
You're kidding right?- so are you Mr. Pot or Mr. Kettle? :poke:
:lol: You really wanna test my knowledge on Machs???.....You see...the difference between me and the poster I was refering too (50TRIMSRT4), is Simple....I don't talk like I know everything about cars I dont' know much about. He made THREE posts in here that were incorrect. Name ONE post of mine that is incorrect. ONE!.

I have never dogged sh!t on you before..I dont' feel there is a reason for you to do it to me...... I simply offer knowledge that I have to people that are willing to learn. I simply get annoyed by 'know it all' comments by people that obviously have no clue what they are refering too.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
:lol: You really wanna test my knowledge on Machs???.....You see...the difference between me and the poster I was refering too (50TRIMSRT4), is Simple....I don't talk like I know everything about cars I dont' know much about. He made THREE posts in here that were incorrect. Name ONE post of mine that is incorrect. ONE!.

I have never dogged sh!t on you before..I dont' feel there is a reason for you to do it to me...... I simply offer knowledge that I have to people that are willing to learn. I simply get annoyed by 'know it all' comments by people that obviously have no clue what they are refering too.

Easy bro....I hear Sears has "thick skin" half price this week. No one is saying you DON'T know Machs. You own one so I'd hope you are familiar with it. You share what you know- so do I. We both get annoyed (it seems) when some people don't even try to be familiar with the topic of discussion. In this case Machs. I still have a lot to learn but then again I'm not a noob either. We've had observatinal disagreements regarding preferences etc. That's where I leave it. If I come across as a "know it all" that's not my intent as I'm sure it isn't yours either. No need to have angst mang for the most part we speak the same language:beer:

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
alaskablkmach said:
Dont let COBRA fool you. The are basically the same cars except mach's have a solid rear end if I am not mistaken. But if they are procharged for some reason they make more HP than a procharged mach. But if your talken 03-04 cobra then hell yeah COBRA!

Not exactly. The engines in the Machs are identical to the Maurader. Different heads, different cam profiles and different compression to the 01 Cobra. They aren't the same motor. And actually, the mach has the same heads as the 03/04 Cobra.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Easy bro....I hear Sears has "thick skin" half price this week. No one is saying you DON'T know Machs. You own one so I'd hope you are familiar with it. You share what you know- so do I. We both get annoyed (it seems) when some people don't even try to be familiar with the topic of discussion. In this case Machs. I still have a lot to learn but then again I'm not a noob either. We've had observatinal disagreements regarding preferences etc. That's where I leave it. If I come across as a "know it all" that's not my intent as I'm sure it isn't yours either. No need to have angst mang for the most part we speak the same language:beer:
It was this: "so are you Mr. Pot or Mr. Kettle?" that got my 'boxer briefs in a bunch. That comment is what got me..I didn't know where that came from. I just didnt' see where I said something that warrantied a reply like the one you gave. :shrug: :beer:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
It was this: "so are you Mr. Pot or Mr. Kettle?" that got my 'boxer briefs in a bunch. That comment is what got me..I didn't know where that came from. I just didnt' see where I said something that warrantied a reply like the one you gave. :shrug: :beer:

I was under the impression that you were implying I was a "know it all", ...guess your comment was mis-interpreted on my part. My Fault.

Last edited:

Jt Stang

Mach Me...
Established Member
alaskablkmach said:
Dont let COBRA fool you. The are basically the same cars except mach's have a solid rear end if I am not mistaken. But if they are procharged for some reason they make more HP than a procharged mach. But if your talken 03-04 cobra then hell yeah COBRA!

im prity sure machs have better flowing heads than the 01 cobras!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
I was under the impression that you were implying I was a "know it all", ...guess your comment was mis-interpreted on my part. My Fault.
It's cool...I figured that might have been teh case. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread