Which is faster mach 1 or 01 cobra?

brett3xx

Established Member
Ive been thinking about selling my cobra to get a mach, but which one is faster? Thanks, Brett

alaskablkmach

Established Member
I have a 2003 mach and I have never lost to a 99-01 cobra the only good race I have had with a cobra was one that had like 5 or 6 more mods. My friend has a 2001 cobra that has the exact same mods as me plus throttle body and he only dynoed 307hp/319trq to wheels on the same dyno and same day less than 30 minutes apart. But I have never raced him it rained on the way back and plus I was in Iraq! My wife and him took them to the tuner.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Gonna have to disagree with sikklightning04. Stock for stock the Mach is faster. Modding, meh- who's got deeper pockets? You can make a Chevette fast with enough $.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
Dont let COBRA fool you. The are basically the same cars except mach's have a solid rear end if I am not mistaken. But if they are procharged for some reason they make more HP than a procharged mach. But if your talken 03-04 cobra then hell yeah COBRA!

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
alaskablkmach said:
Dont let COBRA fool you. The are basically the same cars except mach's have a solid rear end if I am not mistaken. But if they are procharged for some reason they make more HP than a procharged mach. But if your talken 03-04 cobra then hell yeah COBRA!

I think the Mach MAY have a slightly more aggressive cam as well.

03AV8R

Established Member
If your that concerned about speed & ET your prolly gonna mod it anyways?? Why not start out with a full solid live axle & a shaker scoop already installed?? You Just saved $2000 right there for other go-fast pieces.. :-D

ned1.jpg

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
alaskablkmach said:

I believe he was refering to the 99-01. I don't think anyone with an ounce of common sense thinks a stock Mach can outrun a Terminator. Even Bolt on Machs have problems with Terminators.

The difference is not just solid rear axle. The cam profile is slightly more aggressive and the heads flow a touch better in the Mach. Why the Mach is rated at 305 and the Cobra is 320 who knows? They dyno similarly at the wheels though- well within a few hp either way. Just keep in mind we are saying the EDGE goes to the Mach. It's not like a stock Mach is going to put bus-lengths on a stock 99-01 Cobra or anything. Heck, without the proper driver mod the Cobra will edge the Mach. Both are very good cars IMHO. I don't think you can go wrong with either- comes down to preference and availability really. When I picked up the Mach I was looking for a Terminator- there wasn't one available at the time- nor were there any 99-01 Cobras. So I "settled" for the Mach and am very pleased with the Car......Still looking to pick up a terminator in the next year or two though. :rockon:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
i have seen several stock mach 1's put down 13.1's in the quarter. can the 01 svt do that stock?

The best one stock here ran a 13.4, that was last year right before they shut the track down. Unfortunately I got my Mach after the track closed. I'm hoping to see what my mods will do when they open it back up.

Meant to start another thread but I'll ask here. Any Mach owners have UD pulleys? If so, do you like them? I keep hearing that they aren't good for Machs. If this is the case why do 99-01 Cobra's do well with them?

03AV8R

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Meant to start another thread but I'll ask here. Any Mach owners have UD pulleys? If so, do you like them? I keep hearing that they aren't good for Machs. If this is the case why do 99-01 Cobra's do well with them?

The Alternator & P/S Pump can be U/D but leave the crank pully alone.. Its the crank aftermarket pullies that cause the oilpump failures... They cause a harmonic type vibration that essentially breaks the gear apart.. An e-Waterpump & A/C Bypass with the other 2 U/D pullies makes for a nice setup.. Just leave the ugly azz rusted crank pully alone! :beer:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
03AV8R said:
The Alternator & P/S Pump can be U/D but leave the crank pully alone.. Its the crank aftermarket pullies that cause the oilpump failures... They cause a harmonic type vibration that essentially breaks the gear apart.. An e-Waterpump & A/C Bypass with the other 2 U/D pullies makes for a nice setup.. Just leave the ugly azz rusted crank pully alone! :beer:

Great help- appreciate it bro. Thanks:beer:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
I believe he was refering to the 99-01. I don't think anyone with an ounce of common sense thinks a stock Mach can outrun a Terminator. Even Bolt on Machs have problems with Terminators.

The difference is not just solid rear axle. The cam profile is slightly more aggressive and the heads flow a touch better in the Mach. Why the Mach is rated at 305 and the Cobra is 320 who knows? They dyno similarly at the wheels though- well within a few hp either way. Just keep in mind we are saying the EDGE goes to the Mach. It's not like a stock Mach is going to put bus-lengths on a stock 99-01 Cobra or anything. Heck, without the proper driver mod the Cobra will edge the Mach. Both are very good cars IMHO. I don't think you can go wrong with either- comes down to preference and availability really. When I picked up the Mach I was looking for a Terminator- there wasn't one available at the time- nor were there any 99-01 Cobras. So I "settled" for the Mach and am very pleased with the Car......Still looking to pick up a terminator in the next year or two though. :rockon:

:rockon: Totally agree with you. Also the other difference in the cars are where they make their power numbers and torque numbers on a dyno. Anything you read tells you that the 99-01 Cobra motor makes it power higher in the RPM range which is true. The MACH motors make better low end and mid power HP/Torque numbers. I don't think you can go wrong with either car. The MACH just comes ready to race with the solid rear! I just added a ProCharger to mine and I can tell you I don't regret my decision..:thumbsup:

03AV8R

Established Member
My Dyno Sheet with Longtubes, CAI, E-Waterpump, Throttlebody & an intake spacer. Couple underdrive pullies mentioned above running thru a 4.56 gear which kills it a bit IMO!!

dyno07.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread