Whipple 2.9 + L&M 66 = No idle??

oliver1539

Established Member
Just thought I would ask some of the experts on here if anyone has ever had this problem. I ran the stage 2 kit from Lethal (JLT) with the L&M 66 and the car ran beautiful, no issues with idle or throttle response. After running this kit for a year I wanted more power so I purchased the Whipple 2.9 from Lethal two weeks ago and had my local installer bolt on the new power. However, after down loading the new tune I took the car out for a spin to realize it would die at every stop light and every time I pushed the clutch in? I drove the car back to my installer to check for a vacum leak or maybe something left off.
We are working with Lund to see if it's a tune issue or maybe the spring in the L&M, does this sound familiar with anyone? I'm sure it's something simple, just sucks to have the car still sitting at the installer's bay 3 days later....

Thanks, Steve O.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Check for air leaks in the CAI, typically after the air meter. I had a similar problem when I installed my aftermarket throttle body and this was the problem, the CAI's rubber boot was open to incoming air at the bottom of the TB's flange, it was just installed incorrectly, simple fix and everything was perfect.

oliver1539

Established Member
Check for air leaks in the CAI, typically after the air meter. I had a similar problem when I installed my aftermarket throttle body and this was the problem, the CAI's rubber boot was open to incoming air at the bottom of the TB's flange, it was just installed incorrectly, simple fix and everything was perfect.

10-4, will do. I hope its that easy, thanks!

91svtbird

Established Member
Just thought I would ask some of the experts on here if anyone has ever had this problem. I ran the stage 2 kit from Lethal (JLT) with the L&M 66 and the car ran beautiful, no issues with idle or throttle response. After running this kit for a year I wanted more power so I purchased the Whipple 2.9 from Lethal two weeks ago and had my local installer bolt on the new power. However, after down loading the new tune I took the car out for a spin to realize it would die at every stop light and every time I pushed the clutch in? I drove the car back to my installer to check for a vacum leak or maybe something left off.
We are working with Lund to see if it's a tune issue or maybe the spring in the L&M, does this sound familiar with anyone? I'm sure it's something simple, just sucks to have the car still sitting at the installer's bay 3 days later....

Thanks, Steve O.

I think you answered your own question.....

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I don't believe this problem is tune related. Sounds like a major vacuum leak to me. I'd get a piece of 3/8's fuel line about three foot long. Put it up to your ear and go over the top end. Also do a recheck on all your connection. Its something simple like you said.

oliver1539

Established Member
Update!

Thanks to Lee Blankenship at Lee's Performance for figuring out the problem. It was simply the setting on the Mafia. The Mafia was never set, he turned the setting to two (2) and it made the biggest difference in the car.
The car runs great and idles perfect now! He put it on the dyno and she put down 661RWHP/618TORQUE!

Thanks for all the replies, Steve O.

CPRsm

Damn that sucks. they forget or someone forget to tell them the tune was for the second setting ? Glad it was simple.

VaporGt500

Established Member
Update!

Thanks to Lee Blankenship at Lee's Performance for figuring out the problem. It was simply the setting on the Mafia. The Mafia was never set, he turned the setting to two (2) and it made the biggest difference in the car.
The car runs great and idles perfect now! He put it on the dyno and she put down 661RWHP/618TORQUE!

You can't beat Lee Blankenship...I'm sure Brian of Posi perfomance will 2nd that. I'm definately pleased with my setup...tell Erin to update!!!

oliver1539

Established Member
Just to let everyone know that Jon Lund is a stand up guy! He emailed me a new tune to tweak my Shelby if that was in fact the problem. I think this was great of him to do that even though it wasn't the tune that was the issue at all. It meant a lot to me that he did this. Just glad it all worked out!!

Steve O..

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Update!

Blankenship Tuning and Performance is the correct name and he's the only one that's ever tuned my car from day one. He works with you and is a stand up guy as you found out it seems. Glad you got it fixed and nice numbers too.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread