Whipple Blower - Lose Torque in low RPM range? <2500 RPM?

rlearp

Established Member
I'm considering a Whipple blower for my Lightning. However, I use my truck to tow my race car 10-15 times a year at least. One Whipple owner had reported to me that his truck felt soft at low RPMS, like < 2500 RPM, compared to a Eaton truck with a 6lber (which is what I run).

I spend a lot of time under load between 2000-2500 RPM so I don't want a drop in torque in this range.

Any other Whipple owners have comments on low-end torque of their setup?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I'm considering a Whipple blower for my Lightning. However, I use my truck to tow my race car 10-15 times a year at least. One Whipple owner had reported to me that his truck felt soft at low RPMS, like < 2500 RPM, compared to a Eaton truck with a 6lber (which is what I run).

I spend a lot of time under load between 2000-2500 RPM so I don't want a drop in torque in this range.

Any other Whipple owners have comments on low-end torque of their setup?

I never heard of a Whipple having less torque down low than a Heaton.
With a 3.25 upper and 4# lower (16 psi) my Whipple got me a 1.61 sixty foot. I can roast the rears at will anywhere between 0-60 mph

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
That guy was prolly right in the lost torque in the low range. Reason being the timing. Many tuners are very timmid when it comes to these blowers and swear you need to pull timing on tip in and off idle speeds. They 'say' it's because the blower makes a lot of heat, which is not true. Streetably I have ass loads of torque in my timing tables and stock fuel pumps with 60# injectors. I have more than enough torque and have as much torque at 2 to 5 psi of boost in low rpms as I did at 10 or so on the ported eaton and 4# lower.

the truck can handle normal amounts of timing on the lower rpms. I can tell you this, +/- 10 degrees of timing in the lower rpms makes a TON of difference. It's all about the tune.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I experienced a drop in torque when I first installed my Whipple. Granted, it was with a fairly mild pulley combination (OEM 7.5" lower and a 3.20" upper). However, with the exact same pulley combination the torque loss disappeared with a different tuner, so I agree it can definately be in the tuning.

rlearp

Established Member
I thought the comment a bit odd and since then I've looked at the compressor maps for both blowers. The Whipple looks to be right at home based on the pulley ratio I was considering. But, empirical data is always best which is why I figured I'd ask.

Ron

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I never heard of a Whipple having less torque down low than a Heaton.
With a 3.25 upper and 4# lower (16 psi) my Whipple got me a 1.61 sixty foot. I can roast the rears at will anywhere between 0-60 mph

With Drag Radials?

Users who are viewing this thread