who has gears, and what do you think vs. stock?

03sb

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Just wondering who has what gears and now you like them vs stock. Im thinking of 3.73 but 4.10's are tempting. Wanna do it right the first time. Are 4.10's too much?
Car has typical bolt ons. Tune, 2.8" pulley, catback and cai.

Thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
3.73's are one of the best mods i have made so far. really helped my dragstrip times. i have 4.10's built and will be trying them out hopefully by this weekend :rockon:

03sb

Established Member
Ok great please report back after you rip on the 4.10's. Im torn between the two. Maybe meet in the middle with 3.90's lol.

torchred03cobra

Established Member
Ive got a friend with 3:73's in his cobra and he LOVES them, on the other hand i have a friend with an 04 mach1 he has a full MMR Cobra IRS stage 5 half shafts with 4:10's and he loves it for the track but isn't to fond of em for being a daily, i think hes gonna end up switching to a 3:73. personally i would go with the 3:73 you lose way to much top end with the 4:10. but i guess your decision depends on how often you go to the track and what your goals or plans are for the car. hope this helped.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Ive got a friend with 3:73's in his cobra and he LOVES them...

but i guess your decision depends on how often you go to the track and what your goals or plans are for the car. hope this helped.

I love my 3.73's in my daily driven Cobra, I had the rear end rebuilt right after buying the car, so I barely drove it with 3.55's. I can't imagine it any different, nor would I want to. With the 6spd, cruising around is no issue.

But if you are mostly racing, then 4.10s might be better, but with a pulley swap and 4.10's, you are going to destroy street tires. :burnout:

ctrlraven

The Birdman
Established Member
3.73 for a manual
4.10/4.30 for an automatic

I know the Cobra doesn't come automatic but the Mach 1 does.

Also have to factor in what size radial, DR, or slick you may run as well since if it is not factory size then it will increase or decrease the overall effective gear ratio.

keith89

Established Member
3.73's wish i stayed with stock 3.55 or went to 3.27's. by going to 3.73's or 4.10's, 1st and 2nd gear will be even more useless.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I had 3.55's for about 7 years in my car, I ran a 26" tire on the street and the track, really good combo.

When I started to mess around with the 28" tire/slicks on the street and track I went with a 3.73 and it stepped up the car bigtime, lil more issues with traction on the 1-2, but what car doesnt have it.

With the above being said, I have a built 8.8 im installed and I have 3.90's in it, because Im leaning more towards a weekend combo and drag car. the 3.90's are good for about 145-147mph on a 28" tire and a 6speed in the 1/4.

I say the following....

3.55's good for 26" tire
3.73's. good mix for 28" tire
3.90 for max effort 6speed, and 28" tire

I have been 10.60's on stock 17's with a 3.73 and 27.5" 295/45/17 MT DR...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2KSuqmvyc&feature=plcp

Last edited:

46stang

Established Member
I have 3.73's in mine and think they are perfect. With me trapping in the 118-122mph zone it just seemed like I was barely getting into 4th before i crossed the end of the 1/4 with 3.55s. With the 3.73's it seemed like i was actually using 4th more. 4.10's would probably be ideal for me but you will need a good tire to get traction in the lower gears at the track. The other thing i like is on the freeway in 6th i rarely have to down shift when accelerating.
If you like drag racing I would check what your car traps in the 1/4, compare that to what size tire you use and what rpm you want to be turning when crossing the finish line. And then finally on how fast you plan on making the car go when, if you do more mods later. I personally don't like to have to pay to do the same mod twice, when with a little forethought i can compromise now and be where i want later, saving money and time.

ctgreddy

Established Member
i'm swapping in a sra with 3.73's as we speak, should be done early this week so i will be sure to make a thread comparing irs w/ 3.55's to sra w/ 3.73's so look for that. from wha ti've seen the 3.73's are almost perfect and i cant wait to get this done so i can try them.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I'm kind of curious about this thread also. I still have the stock 3:55. I open track mine and don't drag race at all. What are the open track guys running since 1st and 2nd gear traction really isn't an issue on road courses?

keith89

Established Member
I would think you would want a little lower gear to get you accelerating out of turns doing open track stuff. Mabye even as high as 4:10 since most of the open track cars are a little lower boost and lower power cars.

gears are not going to help get out of corners faster. A proper differential and tires do. There is plenty of power and not enough grip with the stock gears. Going to 3.73's or 4.10's will just make it easier to spin the tires in the corners at lighter throttle application. You will also average higher rpms around the track given the same speeds, which will strain a cooling system that is marginal at best on a road course.

keith89

Established Member
How bad is traction with typical bolt ons and the stock 275 tire?

lol traction wasn't great to begin with, on a stock car and stock 275 tire.
higher gear ratios multiplies torque and therefore makes spinning tires easier. Now throw in turns on a road course where the tire has to accelerate and grip laterally, and you need to be even more careful on the throttle. Traction circle: in a turn, forward grip is limited by trading off with lateral grip.

anthonyg

Established Member
I have 4.10s in my car, I am going to be doing the FTB bushing kit and gonna do 3.73s, maybe even go back to 3.55s. Back in the day guys swapped out gears for thats quick take off. That is fine if you only make 300 wheel hp. Our Cobras dont need anything more than 3.55s. I bought the car with 4.10s they are to much.

ctgreddy

Established Member
well first impression with my sra and 3.73's and i'm in love. seems to rev thru the gears much easier. cant wait to get it to the track now.

horspla2000

Established Member
I did 3.73's when I did my SRA swap. I think they're great. I'd say 4.10 if you are on the strip a lot (and your combo warrants 4.10's) AND you don't do a lot of highway driving. I say 4.10's are too much for most guys in most cases. Our cars make a lot of torque and make it low and all the way thru. SO, you want to ride the torque instead of some setups that need to stay near redline all the time. 3.73s are a wise choice for most. I love mine.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I put 3.90s in mine right off the batt and heve never regreted it. Made driving it in traffic so much easier.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I went 3.73 and honestly don't think it's enough. Not sure if it's worth swapping but I'm still debating it.

Not a noticable difference in normal driving for me, little pickup at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread