Who has the most hp in N/A 5.4 DOHC?

rezcobra

Established Member
Just out of curiosity who on these boards has the most hp/ torque in a 5.4 DOHC engine. Whether it be a 2000R or otherwise. I figure I'd ask here first since the 00R had the best breathing heads to date and the ones with the most potential to get higher hp ratings. Doesn't have to be stock but street driven. I know in pure racing form theres been some real high hp out of the 5.4.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I havent heard of any 2000R owners building up or altering stock HP other than through exhaust mods and chip, as there are limited to zero parts availability should an experiment go kaboom....I do believe one of the 2000R owners that races either in New Zealand or maybe Tim Brown from Canada had a spare 5.4 motor built by Sean Hyland....maybe try the search function here, as its been a while since this was posted....there may have been dyno numbers posted then....

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Most guys in here have done the standard exhaust mods, so unless anyone is doing something radical like turbo or supercharging (and I did see one 2 years ago at Northwoods), they are all close to the same HP/torque. The REAL difference is in the handling and weight reduction modifications that have been done to the car (including the nut behind the wheel).

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I know that Tim Brown's car has a nicely modified 5.4L but I'll let him post the actual numbers if he would like.

The New Zealand guys are running the new 6.0L SH motor for now. I heard after they talked to Tim they may be going back to a 5.4L.

Boss 330

Established Member
I made 431.6/374ft.lb@ 7000 rpm. with a navigator based engine in 2002. A year later (and alot of work) made 500.1/426 @7400 with another navi engine. I blew it up with a failure under the timing chain cover. Now running a 00R based engine and currently at 524/440 and rev it 8000 rpm. I am working ona lighter version '05 now..Here's the big pieces.

al54.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
What a beast!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Yeah, but for reliability, I still prefer the "stock" 00R engine. I've seen several NASA racers and other guys with huge HP engines and they're always having all sorts of problems. Everybody gets giddy with big HP/torque numbers, but for me the REAL thing is handling. Heck, my 03 has 100 more HP, but the R is still faster. If you open track or road race, the only thing that matters is lap times. Period!

Watch out Bruce, I just noticed this is my 500th post. I'm only 3,435 behing now!

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Boss 330 said:
I drag race. The only thing that matters to me is the numbers on the scoreboard and the win light. Bringing stock horsepower out to play is like bringing a peashooter to a gun fight.
Here's a link to a vid. from the MM&FF modular shootout.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0405mm_4valve_01stream.mov
Yup, I figured that (as I also suspect the person who originally posted this thread). Most in hear open track and road race. The fun lasts for 20-30 minutes each session and you get to use the steering wheel too.

Boss 330

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Keep whoring Fred. You have a ways to go! :poke: :pop:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Can you post some vids of spanking Z06's like redheaded stepchildren!!!???!!!

:rockon: :pepper: :rockon: :pepper: :rockon: :pepper: :rockon: :pepper:

Sorry..No Z06 vid's I race in an all ford sanction (NMRA)..
Actually i enjoyed Fred's breif description on how to road race. I was an scca rookie of the year in 1978 and earned a southeast div. championship and also finished second in the SARRC series in 1979. I raced a B/Sedan Corolla. It was 1600cc's and turned the same lap times as B/Production Corvettes at Savannah,Sebring and PBIR (Now Moroso)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Boss 330 said:
Sorry..No Z06 vid's I race in an all ford sanction (NMRA)..
Actually i enjoyed Fred's breif description on how to road race. I was an scca rookie of the year in 1978 and earned a southeast div. championship and also finished second in the SARRC series in 1979. I raced a B/Sedan Corolla. It was 1600cc's and turned the same lap times as B/Production Corvettes at Savannah,Sebring and PBIR (Now Moroso)

Al:

It's interesting how your progression went from road to drag racing. Most people go the other way around? I never owned anything very interesting (read fast) when I drag raced and therefore it didn't hold my attention very long. I also did a bunch of circle track schools just for the heck of it. But once I got behind the wheel and turned left and right, I feel that is where my true passion lies! Obviously you're having a lot of fun in that beast! Do you do any road racing anymore or is drags your bag now?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

kevin

ac427cobra said:
Al:

It's interesting how your progression went from road to drag racing. Most people go the other way around? I never owned anything very interesting (read fast) when I drag raced and therefore it didn't hold my attention very long. I also did a bunch of circle track schools just for the heck of it. But once I got behind the wheel and turned left and right, I feel that is where my true passion lies! Obviously you're having a lot of fun in that beast! Do you do any road racing anymore or is drags your bag now?

62 :dw:

Boss 330

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Al:

My interest was always small bore high revving engines. I worked at an exotic car dealership in Boca Raton Fla during and after high school. Everybody that hung around road raced. I forged a age release and Attended driver schools earned an scca regional license at 17. Marrage and the big gas crunch ended my road racing days.
I started building Four cyl honda 750's and that led to 20 years of bikes . I won back to back Prostock championships in 1996/1997. I bought my Cobra in 2000 and retired from motorcycle racing in 2001.
I thought the dohc ford looked like a big bike engine and it started all over again. so...I have now built a bunch of modular engines including 2004 NMRA Factory stock champion Bob Cosby's engine. So Drag racing it is!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Boss 330 said:
My interest was always small bore high revving engines. I worked at an exotic car dealership in Boca Raton Fla during and after high school. Everybody that hung around road raced. I forged a age release and Attended driver schools earned an scca regional license at 17. Marrage and the big gas crunch ended my road racing days.
I started building Four cyl honda 750's and that led to 20 years of bikes . I won back to back Prostock championships in 1996/1997. I bought my Cobra in 2000 and retired from motorcycle racing in 2001.
I thought the dohc ford looked like a big bike engine and it started all over again. so...I have now built a bunch of modular engines including 2004 NMRA Factory stock champion Bob Cosby's engine. So Drag racing it is!

Cool!! Great story!!! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Boss 330

Established Member
I have road raced cars and bikes, Drag raced cars... This is the baddest motorized vehicle you could ever experience.. prostock Bikes. 380 pounds, 328 Hp 13,800 rpm 0-100 in 2 seconds. 0-156 in 4.66 sec and 7.24/188 in the quarter. Here's a pic of my last pass. Gainsville '

3129-106.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That thing weighs 380 pounds!!! :eek:

0-100 in 2 seconds? :read: How long does it take your cheeks to recover after a run? :bowdown:

How do you steer with the wheel off the ground? :read:

Brian thinks HE has raisins for family jewels? :poke:

I'd probably run an 11 on that thing! :pepper:

Here I thought that Mustang looked fast? :pepper:

Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread