Who needs 02 Bungs welded in

C Weil

Established Member
Eh, screw the locking header bolts. Pain in the ass and take forever to install correctly (the teardrop locking type, right?) and they still come loose anyway (and they're way expensive). Just use lock washers instead of regular washers under the bolts. You can get them at Tacoma Screw (8mmx1.25mmx45??I can't remember the length, might be 55) with 8mm lock washers for like $1. Just make sure to get the silver, stainless steel ones and NOT the hardened black ones, because those won't expand with the heat as much and can cause unnecessary stress on the heads (could seize later, too). Tiny bit of antiseize is good, too.

Oh, obviously don't reuse the stock manifold studs, they're too short on most header flanges and suck anyway. Make sure to use rust remover before you remove them, though, because they can break if you do it poorly. They NEED to be removed, though.

Tyler, I was talking about an engine cradle, not an engine hoist. It's the thing that sits on the fenderwell ledges on the inside of the engine bay and holds the engine from above. An engine hoist would be impractical since the legs would extend under the car, which is annoying (and hence not what I was saying). I, personally, don't like supporting it from below because it's both less stable and end up having something under the car that you have to avoid touching or that will get in your way, so it's the same problem as the hoist but to a lesser extent.

IMO, a cradle is the safest way to do it, especially since you'll probably be lifting the car pretty high anyway. This way, you can start the engine, warm it up, get the headers heat cycled while it hangs without the suspension on, and then just go back once it's totally cooled and re-torque the bolts. If you don't, they can come loose later and start leaks, forcing you do this allll over again. Then reassemble and you shouldn't have to worry about any leaks.

I'm not sure if you meant remove the rack ENTIRELY or just hang the rack out of the way, but I'm assuming the latter. In any case, remove the rack and hang it out of the way. Also, drop the K-member before removing the motor mounts, and only do those if you need to. I've never removed them to install headers, but it could in some cases make it easier. Leaving them attaching to the K-frame, though, will make it more difficult to realign everything later.

Also, don't use any gasket supplied by the header company (Bassani's header gaskets being the only exception). Use the stock Ford multi-layered steel gaskets. They're much, much better.

OH, and clean off the area around the k-frame mounting holes on the frame with some degreaser or whatever you want, let it dry, then mark the alignment of the k-frame by drawing it's outline on the frame with a sharpie. This will ensure that when you put it back on that it will stay in alignment. If the k-frame isn't put on in proper alignment, it'll make getting the car properly aligned very difficult (read: impossible).

Sorry, I should've just posted my version of a step-by-step guide...not that it was solicited, though.

Joe5.0

Established Member
So ure telling me the headers arent coming with bolts?

So we have to take the K member off?
and lower the engine somehow.?

Tylerb59

Established Member
mean saleen said:
So ure telling me the headers arent coming with bolts?

So we have to take the K member off?
and lower the engine somehow.?

No, you want to support the engine so it doesn't move from it's original location. It needs to be where it was when the k member was attached.

Joe5.0

Established Member
O ok so i can use a jack right? The stock manifold bolts will not work?
And do i use lock-tite on the bolts?
Any other pointers?

Joe5.0

Established Member
:nono: How old are you?

Beer is designated only for Rick, and whoever else who would like to help.

:-D

C Weil

Established Member
Tylerb59 said:
No, you want to support the engine so it doesn't move from it's original location. It needs to be where it was when the k member was attached.

What he said! The nice thing about using a cradle (the one that sits above it in the engine bay) is that you can also lower it down a couple inches once the k-member is off so you can get full access to the rear header bolts, particularly on the passenger side. It's unnecessarily difficult, otherwise. Then you just crank it back up when you're done ABOVE where it normally sits, so the k-member is super easy to reattach (no weight on it) then you just drop the engine back down onto the k-member. Sounds like a lot of work, but it REALLY isn't. Just about having the right equipment.

No, you cannot support it with a jack. Never support anything with a jack for any length of time outside of just raising it up, especially if you're in an area where you'll get hurt if it breaks (like near the engine, in this case). Placing a jackstand under the front lip of the oil pan works, but I really don't suggest it. It just makes things more difficult, and you have to be more careful while you're under there, because if you kick it accidently...BAM! You probably won't, obviously, but it does mean you can't raise/lower the engine from above, which sucks. I also for sure wouldn't start the engine supported like this either, since it's not really very stable when the engine vibrates/torques.

Stock manifold bolts aren't any good, do NOT reuse them. They usually aren't even long enough. The headers may come with bolts...sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The hookers came with gaskets and bolts, but the gaskets are CRAP and the bolts aren't long enough in my opinion and didn't come with lock washers (or ANY washers, which is dumb!!!). I remember the rest I did didn't come with bolts or gaskets, except Bassani mid-lengths.

Again, stock MLS type gaskets and proper length bolts with lock washers. NO lock-tite. If anything, use a little anti-seize. Just a little, though.

Pointers? Not that I think can think of at the moment, but just make sure you take your time and make sure every bolt is seated and properly tightened/torqued. A loose bolt will cause a leak, so don't just say it's too hard to tighten and move on, because it'll come back to haunt you. If you have the engine cradle (highly suggest; you can find one at Tool Time in Totem Lake, or Harbor Freight. I'll find a picture to show you what it is), start the engine once everything is 100% down and torqued, let it run without the mid-pipe attached for at least 20 mins to get the headers nice and hot (give it some gas, etc), then turn it off, let it cool down 100% (4-5 hours, overnight, whatever), re-tighten ALL the bolts (loosen it then retighten, ideally), then put everything back together. Some may come loose once they heat cycle. Even if they don't (usually they do) it's a good idea to make sure they're ALL tight again, since you don't want to have to come back later.

****ing hell? Nah, just time consuming, and kind of annoying. It's a good experience, just make sure to take your time and don't skimp on anything. Do it right the first time around and it'll be worth the effort.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Thanx for the Write-Up. Please post that pic of the craddle. can i get the bolts at a local harware store? And what pound feet of torque do i torque the bolts to?
So i need some longer header bolts, an engine cradle, and some anti-seize.
Would Hertz equipment rental have an engine cradle?

C Weil

Established Member
http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3605

That's what it is. I don't know why they picture it so weirdly angled, but that's what they are. They sit on the inside fender ledges in the engine bay, and you put a chainon the hooks and put it around a timing cover or alternator bolt then put a nut on it to tighten the chains on. It holds it up sturdily, and has provisions on the cradle to move the engine up and down by turning the hooks. You'll see what I mean, it's pretty straight forward. The place that might have one of those is the tool rental place in Totem Lake across the street from the Chrysler dealership (across from the service area, not the main entrance)...AAA tool rental or something like that. Them or Hertz might have one, but I'm not sure.

For the bolts AND lock washers (a must), just go to Tacoma Screw in Kirkland. 8mmx1.25mm (x45mm) with 8mm lock washers. Don't quote me on the 45mm, just take the headers down, ask to see a 45mm bolt, then put it through the flange and make sure at least 7-8 threads are coming out the other side. I can't remember if 45 was the correct number; may have been 55. Regardless, they need to have at least 7-8 threads inside the head, IMO. It'll only cost a $1 or so for all the bolts and lock washers.

As far as torque goes, I think it's something like 18-26 lb-ft? Doesn't really matter, since you won't be able to get a torque wrench on most of them. Just get them full seated, please-god-not-cross-threaded-!!!, and then cinch them down nice and tight. Doesn't take monstrous force, but tight enough.

Last edited:

C Weil

Established Member
The stock ones are actually studs, not bolts, and they suck. They actually aren't even long enough for the thicker flanges that most headers use, anyway, so they need to be taken out, like I had mentioned. You'll be able to get the stuff you need at Tacoma Screw with the measurements I gave you, but you need to check to make sure they're long enough, because I don't remember the correct length.

8mm x 1.25mm x 45mm

bolt's threaded section diameter x thread count x length. The length is what I'm not sure about, but the rest are the correct size for the header bolts, and just about every other bolt in the car! :)

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Im allmost positive any hardware store is gonna have the header bolts i need.....if not then kirkland it is i guess.

C Weil

Established Member
Like I said, some headers come with bolts, but they usually aren't long enough in my opinion. They'll fit but only have a couple threads go through once you get the lock washers (which DON'T come with the headers, and you NEED them), which isn't good. The less threads that are in the head, the more likely it'll come loose, and you don't want that.

A hardware store will not have good bolts, and they will only have them in a couple sizes. Tacoma Screw (find whichever one is most convenient at their website that I already gave you, but Kirkland is the closest to you) will have everything. It's not that difficult...just get the headers, drive down there, and pick up the ones that work based on the criteria I gave you.

Like I said before, this is one install you want to do 100% right the first time, because it's a PITA to try to fix it later. Not to mention, an exhaust leak will seriously drain power.

FYI, you want grade 8 stainless bolts, NOT grade 8 hardened (black) bolts, like I mentioned previously.

Mean, did you ever get another car for yourself? Got any plans to buy another car?

Joe5.0

Established Member
Ok Thanx alot for the info again Cweil. I Understand that this is a one time do it right Job. As for a car, no i havent got another car yet, i do have plans to get and be driving a mustang bye atleast the end of the summer. I Have baseball coming up in less than a month so i cant get a job, so after baseball, its job time, as long as i can work. Hopefully have a 93 black cobra or gt.

Users who are viewing this thread