Whom makes home made ice cream?

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
We have a new electric ice cream freezer that we need to break in this weekend. Do you guys use a mix or have your own recipe? Any tips?

Planter

Banned
have our own recipe, but I haven't a clue where it's at.

homemade is much better than mix. use milk, freshly cut and rinsed fruits (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc) and the other ingredients.

and plenty of crushed ice (as small as you can get it anyhow).

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Yes... best thing ever and easy to make.

I think this mix is for a 5 quart machine? I'll have to check...

2 cups (+/-) sugar
1 quart half and half; OR 1-pint of heavy whipping cream (I like to use the cream, makes it smoother and a little sweeter); using 1/2-1/2 is a little lighter.
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
fill remainder up with 2% or greater milk.

Make sure you layer the salt within the ice. So put some ice in the bottom; salt; ice; salt; etc. and repeat til full.

Also did a mint chocolate chip the other day which was pretty good.

Orange sherbert is easy to make, it takes a bottle or two of Sunkist an a can of sweetened condensed milk.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
We have a new electric ice cream freezer that we need to break in this weekend. Do you guys use a mix or have your own recipe? Any tips?

Let me know how it turns out! I have an old fashioned ice cream maker that I'd like to use this summer sometime. :)

oldmodman

Established Member
Hi Julie.

I used to make homemade ice cream with my grandma back in the 60's

Like most kids I didn't pay much attention to the recipe. I just ate it.

When I tried making my own homemade 40 years later I could never duplicate her quality and flavor. Mine always tasted 'gritty" and even if I turned it longer it never seemed to come out right.

Now I just buy McConnells
Flavors - McConnells Ice Cream

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
have our own recipe, but I haven't a clue where it's at.

homemade is much better than mix. use milk, freshly cut and rinsed fruits (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc) and the other ingredients.

and plenty of crushed ice (as small as you can get it anyhow).

why ruin ice cream with healthy junk, add snickers, cookie dough, or maybe even 5th avenue bars :). of course who can forget Oreo cookies:rockon:

ssssnake

Established Member
This one's real similar to mblgjr 's recipe, except for the eggs.

4 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
7 cups milk
3 cups whipping cream
2 1/ tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs till light. Add sugar gradually, beating until thick. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Freeze in 5 quart ice cream freezer. Makes 1 gallon.

It's great plain, but I remember my mom putting in fresh peaches or dewberries.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes... best thing ever and easy to make.

I think this mix is for a 5 quart machine? I'll have to check...

2 cups (+/-) sugar
1 quart half and half; OR 1-pint of heavy whipping cream (I like to use the cream, makes it smoother and a little sweeter); using 1/2-1/2 is a little lighter.
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
fill remainder up with 2% or greater milk.

Make sure you layer the salt within the ice. So put some ice in the bottom; salt; ice; salt; etc. and repeat til full.

Also did a mint chocolate chip the other day which was pretty good.

Orange sherbert is easy to make, it takes a bottle or two of Sunkist an a can of sweetened condensed milk.

This is pretty close to the recipe I've used. The vanilla ice cream was really good. Fun to make, too.

I think the most fun, though, is experimenting with unique flavors. :)

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone! By the time I got to the grocery store this afternoon, all the 1/2 gal containers of heavy cream were gone! Had to grab a couple of little pints. When I was checking out I was talking to the checker about the large size being out and she said some guy went through the line with a bunch of the bigger containers earlier lol. Guess he has the same idea I do but on a larger scale!

Shanezt~ I like how you think! :beer:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Lol at the #7 post "why ruin ice cream with healthy junk?"

I've honestly never had homemade ice cream. But it would really make my day if someone were to tell me that I'm missing out

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
My Dad had an amazing recipe. Unfortunately he never wrote it down and we lost it with him when he passed away (it was damn good). The only thing we could remember was that he used Junket Tablets we took the recipe off the box. It was close but just not quite as awesome as when he made it.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
let us know how it goes, i have only had homemade once and all i remember is that it was the best ice cream i had tested.

weird though, i remember my family's reason for not making it more often, was because it cost too much.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Lucky bastards. I cant eat ice cream really. Being lactose sucks and nope never tried the lac-free" kind

Users who are viewing this thread