?who's got a JLP Dual rai with pics

pwildbil

Established Member
LTHL VNM: Pic did not show up for me??? would really like to see this system!!!

I'll pm you with my email you can send it there if you don't mind!!

thanks everyone for their response for and against!!!

Sorry everyone is so negative...just because it doesn't give you extra HP does not mean it is a waste of money!!! fresh cold air in the engine/engine compartment is always a good idea in my book...especially in rush hour traffic sitting at idle!!!! my $.02!! That's why I want pics to see if its worth the price!!!

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
aren't guys getting a tenth by pulling the right headlight? wouldnt this have a similar affect? its not creating a "ram air" affect, but it is forcing air directly at the filter. true, it probably doesnt add much, but its not much more $ than compareable cold air intakes, its different, and it makes use of the two foglight holes.

and Cobra03FLA, those holes have no affect on the cooling of the car.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
aren't guys getting a tenth by pulling the right headlight? wouldnt this have a similar affect? its not creating a "ram air" affect, but it is forcing air directly at the filter. true, it probably doesnt add much, but its not much more $ than compareable cold air intakes, its different, and it makes use of the two foglight holes.

and Cobra03FLA, those holes have no affect on the cooling of the car.

You are comparing apples and oranges.....the light socket hole is a helluva more direct and closer to the intake then coming in traveling through 4 feet of hose before it dumps to the same place as the light socket hole. Also coming in through the socket is pretty much a straight shot. Coming in through tubing at the fog-light holes causes the air to have to make a turn and then flow upward. Anyway you look at it the extra length and turns causes the air to slow due to friction along the 4 feet hose walls and due to the hose making at least one 90 degree turn.

It is really senseless to have a ram air setup at the bottom of the car. It would be better to either have air come through the light socket or to have air enter directly into the plenum (or carburator if non-FI) from the top like a true shaker hood setup has it (and I am not talking about the Mach-1 shaker setup....that is not a true shaker setup...it is a modified shaker setup.

Again...a waste of money...but folks if you want to spend the money on worthless junk then be my guest....the value add is NOT there and the cost-power effectiveness is ZERO compared to other mods that can be made for the money.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by pwildbil
fresh cold air in the engine/engine compartment is always a good idea in my book...especially in rush hour traffic sitting at idle!!!!

Yea I guess spending $225 to get a minimal and quite questionable amount of cooler air while sitting at idle has an extreme amount of value-add on a forced induced engine........... :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

pwildbil

Established Member
Thanks for your input CobraKindaGuy

Here my personal example
My 69 gto sitting at gratiot cruise this summer(85 degree day) was getting pretty hot got out and took the blanked hood scoops and the car cooled down 10 degrees without moving the car!!!! Yes it did not add HP but it was worth it to me!!! It was kinda of like doing the hood mod everyone talks about here!! Again I want to see the system!!! That way I can see if its worth it or just make something of my own!!! Again its Not for HP but cooler air!!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
As long as you have the intake pulling from outside of the engine bay with a supercharger, I do not see how this is much more helpful. Cold air is cold air, and forced induction is going take car of pulling plenty of fresh air from outside of the car by it's self. I could however really see this working well for a NA car.

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
It is really senseless to have a ram air setup at the bottom of the car.

No question many will have a different opinion but a ram-air works good for me. I run 11's with my humble ram-air setup pulling air from the bumper opening, with an upper pulley only at density altitudes of over 5,000 ft. On this board I've only heard of one other non-NOS, Eaton car running 11 second times at this kind of altitude and that car has significant weight reduction and an upper and lower pulley. Two weekends ago I ran against several other similar modded Cobras (each without a ram air I might add) at the FunFord weekend and got the trophy for the fastest car on street tires. In addition, this was against all cars (Ford or any other maker) running street tires. With these results I can only conclude that a well setup ram air system can feed the intake with all the cold air it needs. I've raced a lot of other supercharged Cobra's over that last two years and I have never lost to single one. Many have had the standard mods as I do. The only thing different is the driver and the ram-air. I don't want to argue about it but I can say with track times and comparison to other Cobra's it works very good for me.

pwildbil

Established Member
Hey KWladyka

You got any pics of the one y0u made with the pre-filter mod??

Would like to see them if you do!!! Also what cai are you using???

Thanks for all the input!!!

mikes03SVT

LSwhat hmm?
Established Member
I havnt bee nto the track to prove this for myself but if I remember correctly there was a thread on here a while ago about getting a higher mph down the track with the ram air set up. You cant duplicate that on a dyno!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I've seen this setup on another Cobra before. It looks really nice, but not sure of it's effectiveness.

a94cobra

Established Member
LTHL VNM>>> I will have to check that out. Come by some time next week.

larryc7777

Established Member
I had a thread showing my homemade JLP-style ram air setup several months ago. As far as whether or not the airflow is noticeable, here's a little test that I like to show people who ask about my setup. I have them hold their hand by the discharge opening in the engine compartment. Then I "fan" either one of the air pickup openings with my hand. They can feel the airflow on their hand. If my hand can generate air movement, then think what kind of air transfer happens at 100 mph.
Here's some pics of the components.

P2060001.JPG

P2060006.JPG

P2060002.JPG

P2060004.JPG

P1230005.JPG

P1230007.JPG

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Originally posted by a94cobra
LTHL VNM>>> I will have to check that out. Come by some time next week.

for sure jeff, it is just down 19th toward levelland right?
-tony

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Thanks for letting me know about that. My web hosting company was to move both my domain names yesterday to another server. I had not looked this morning until you pointed that out and yes, both of my sites are broken. I’ll repost once it is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread