Why buy a modded 2012 GT over a 2011 GT 500?

boneblower

Established Member
I put the same question on the GT 500 section.

I'd like to hear this side's point of view.

The modifacations I'm talking about are a whipple supercharger,tune, suspension upgrades to level the playing field between the two cars.

Cost approximations are as follows: 35,000 for a modded 2012 GT

45,000 for a bone stock 2011 GT 500

both are private party used car sales.

cdog1157

Established Member
You would have the Shelby name and a warranty with the GT-500 but costs more. Easy and cheap to make more power when you want.

With the 5.0 you would void the warranty with a SC (although some can get a power train warranty now if you use their tune), it's faster in the quarter, and cheaper. At the end of the day it's still only a GT though.

If I could afford to replace the engine if it blew then I'd get an auto GT and Mod the hell out of it. But if you can afford that then you could afford the Shelby. Tough choice, I love my 5.0 but I plan to get a 13 Shelby from the second order bank next year.

And there's a 12 GT-500 with only the performance package on eBay now for 45K

Last edited:

cmsnake

Established Member
I put the same question on the GT 500 section.

I'd like to hear this side's point of view.

The modifacations I'm talking about are a whipple supercharger,tune, suspension upgrades to level the playing field between the two cars.

Cost approximations are as follows: 35,000 for a modded 2012 GT

45,000 for a bone stock 2011 GT 500

both are private party used car sales.
A lot of things to think about here. Is the GT and auto or manual? What are you trying to accomplish? Is it a DD or a weekend toy?

GT pros:
Faster than the GT500
Much cheaper to insure
Better mpg
More technologically advanced engine (if you care)

GT cons:
Its just a GT
If its a manual, prepare for tranny replacement

GT500 pros:
Its a Shelby
All the features to go fast from the factory with simple bolt-ons

GT500 cons:
More expensive to purchase and insure
Mpg
About to be considered the 'lowly slow' GT500 thanks to the '13 (ask 2010 Mustang GT owners)
Heavier

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My advise is to get the GT, make sure that the supercharger install is correct and the tune is safe, then pocket the rest of the money.

Here's why,

You won't have any more fun in the GT500 than you would with the GT. You have similar power, similar handling etc. Anything you would do with the GT500 you can do with the GT, but without spending the extra 10,000.

Here's an example. I've had many different cars, 5 mustangs, 2 corvettes, a Firebird, some import coupes etc. The most expensive car I've owned was a 2LZ with nav and chrome Z06. I spent a boatload of money on it and at the end of the day didn't have any more fun than I had with my 1999 Cobra that I paid 14,500 for.

It doesn't matter what you're in to. Drag racing, road racing, car shows, cruises or cruise-ins. You can do all of it with either car within relative spitting distance of each other from a performance standpoint. So, IMHO the obvious choice is to spend less and get the GT.

kevinp

Established Member
For me the GT-500 and GT were exactly the same as far as insurance.

IMO if you want just a balls out fast car to tinker with a base GT + mods to your taste is a better deal than a GT500 IMO. A new base GT with a blower will still leave enough cash left over to buy a short block. The trans/clutch is stouter in the GT500 as well but its by no means perfect, and if you want an auto trans there isnt much of a choice..

But if you want a loaded GT, and then add a ton of mods it makes little sense over a GT500. If you mod either you risk blowing the warranty, IMO if you are happy with 550 or so HP with a warranty and a pretty much loaded car that handles and stops well its hard to beat a GT500.

98ss88mm

Established Member
GT500 pretty much sucks unless you are one of these guys who wants to put a pulley on a car and call it a day. And they really arent that fast even at that level. But fast is an extremely relative term. I dont want to start a pissing match about that.

IMO you are just paying for an overpriced Shelby car. BUT they do hold alot more value if you are planning on selling 1-2 years later. And it will tear some ass right out of the box, with minimal concerns when compared to building a GT I suppose. And you wont have a 40k GT worth 20k in two years haha.

A whipple GT has alot more 'cool' factor and curb appeal than a pullied GT500.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
What I miss from my 01 Cobra, despite being almost meaningless when compared to an 03/04.....was the simple fact was that it was a Cobra. It was special in its own way no matter what was faster. My simple GT is better in every way....but any idiot can have one too. Despite still being built in large numbers (its no "R") a cobra is still a car that turns heads and makes people say "oh cool a cobra!".

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
A lot of things to think about here. Is the GT and auto or manual? What are you trying to accomplish? Is it a DD or a weekend toy?

GT pros:
Faster than the GT500
Much cheaper to insure
Better mpg
More technologically advanced engine (if you care)

GT cons:
Its just a GT
If its a manual, prepare for tranny replacement
GT500 pros:
Its a Shelby
All the features to go fast from the factory with simple bolt-ons

GT500 cons:
More expensive to purchase and insure
Mpg
About to be considered the 'lowly slow' GT500 thanks to the '13 (ask 2010 Mustang GT owners)
Heavier

Don't mean to thread jack, but if you're going to throw out invalid information please explain...

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
BIG PRO -
The GT500 comes Factory with a Power Adder.

BIG CON -
The 2011 5.0 Does not even have a Map sensor, and aftermarket blowers are a shot in the dark right now tune wise, save for a select few and the factory tunes.

Thats just from a power adder point of view.

Price, and what do you want to do with the car?

Few bolt ons, a tune, some sticky tires? The GT500 wins hands down. But the initial cost of the GT500 will suck...if it even matters to you.

I can see this going on forever, but I have a GT500 sitting behind me, and a 2012GT on the dyno right now. The gt500 is a much better platform to go FAST. But.... the 2012 does run 10's with 3 bolt ons.

Chris

92hatchlx

Established Member
BIG PRO -
The GT500 comes Factory with a Power Adder.

BIG CON -
The 2011 5.0 Does not even have a Map sensor, and aftermarket blowers are a shot in the dark right now tune wise, save for a select few and the factory tunes.
Thats just from a power adder point of view.

Price, and what do you want to do with the car?

Few bolt ons, a tune, some sticky tires? The GT500 wins hands down. But the initial cost of the GT500 will suck...if it even matters to you.

I can see this going on forever, but I have a GT500 sitting behind me, and a 2012GT on the dyno right now. The gt500 is a much better platform to go FAST. But.... the 2012 does run 10's with 3 bolt ons.

Chris

Please explain your thought behind both of those statements.

There are plenty of people here running superchargers both PD and centri with the tune that comes with and aftermarket tunes. They are running fine.

The last one just seems like you contradicted your self unless 10's isn't fast to you.

shelbycobra

Established Member
im worried

i found a gt fully loaded with everthing i wanted on it and was goint to have money left for a e-force supercharger,but listnening to you guys about the gt not being worth the value in a couple years i better get a roush 5xr they will hold there value better wont they.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Depends on if you plan on getting rid of the car in the near future or not I suppose, and if price is really that big of a deal. If a 5xr is in the realm of possibility for you I'd get it. It already has the supercharger, and it's a genuine Roush. I decided to get a base model 2012 for $28k, Brembo package and 3.73s, and build it up the way I want it. Other than the fact I couldn't afford a fully loaded GT or a 5XR, it was the most suitable option for me.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
I assumed an MT-82 with a blower is on borrowed time. I believe majority here would agree.

I've got a good friend back in my last unit with a 2011 2.8KB that we installed at around 10k miles he's well over 24k and runs it in the 1/4 every weekend or so it's also his daily. Stock clutch and a Barton shifter/bracket. He's doing just fine and has never had any shifting issues.

I'm running the same shifter setup with a stock engine and airbox, bought it brand new January of 2011 and I'm at around 22,XXX miles never had any issues other than notchy shifting when it's cold but once I let it warm up it's smooth.

And I've met plenty of 5.0 owners from the time I was living in TN and now that I'm down living in TX and not one that I've come across has had any of the dreaded issues with their MT82's that everyone on the internet seems to think are so widespread.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
Oh and I'm also planning on going Forced Induction route just haven't decided on a tvs or a 2.9l whipple. After reading all the good stuff about guys running the Roush it's thrown me off because I've always wanted a whipple since I bought this car.

Lone Star

Established Member
I would say Why would you pay 35k for a used gt when you can but it new for the same price.

That and why would you want a used car that has been beat on? The Shelby will be worth more in the long run (he's 89+- and will not live forever) but the day he dies the car with the name Shelby on it will be worth a fortune!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
All great responses here.

One of the only other things to consider is resale value. If you ever have to sell the car, you will have a very limited audience for a Blown 5.0. For example, Time Capsule had a Supercharged car, TF Wheels and many other mods and could not even get $32k for the car.

On the flip side, guys with low mileage 08'-09' GT500's are still getting mid 30's for their car 4yrs after paying 42-46k for it.

Lonestar, I think that will apply to the older cars (60's) and not the newer models. There have been far too many produced since 07' to have them skyrocket in value when he passes. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread