Why buy a modded 2012 GT over a 2011 GT 500?

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I assumed an MT-82 with a blower is on borrowed time. I believe majority here would agree.

:dw: I haven't seen one person on this forum complain about their MT-82 mustang with a supercharger. I've beat the piss out of mine and have had no issues. Unless you are trolling what is your beef with the MT-82? I am guessing you are either a GT500 owner or a 03-04 cobra owner...

cmsnake

Established Member
:dw: I haven't seen one person on this forum complain about their MT-82 mustang with a supercharger. I've beat the piss out of mine and have had no issues. Unless you are trolling what is your beef with the MT-82? I am guessing you are either a GT500 owner or a 03-04 cobra owner...
I was basing my statement on the several issues owners have reported on NA applications with the MT-82. Notchy shifting, gear lockout, whining in gears and the recalls/tsb's. While no one has come out and complained about their supercharged MT-82 I would assume its safe to say it isn't a good idea based on the factory torque rating of 390ft lbs. I bought my GT with the intention of supercharging it. After extensive research it was clear to me that the automatic was by far the safer choice. So no I'm not trolling, just stating an opinion. Sorry you feel the need to defend you chinese trans. To be honest I loved the manual GT's I test drove. Short shifts and smooth at the time. But I couldn't ignore all the issues being reported on the tranny and that sorry excuse for a torque rating.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That and why would you want a used car that has been beat on? The Shelby will be worth more in the long run (he's 89+- and will not live forever) but the day he dies the car with the name Shelby on it will be worth a fortune!

I'm all for the gt500. But many can't not afford it. An not just buying the car but paying to drive it. I would not recommend the gt500 for a daily driver. Cost more in gas an insurance. The 5.0 gt is a great dd good mpg an cheaper insurance.

Grant808

Established Member
I wouldn't buy a used and blown GT, unless I personally knew the seller. So I'd say get a used stock GT and do the blower yourself.

I understand the resale comments for the GT500...but who cares if you take a smaller hit on a more expensive car if it's not really what you want?

If you're more interested in 'show' get the GT500. If you want more go, do the GT route, and make it as fast as you want.

As for the MT-82 comments, the issues are way overblown. I wouldn't have added a Boss if there were concerns about my '11.

shelbycobra

Established Member
540r

which is that the rs3 that came out in 2012 or what,does it have a different transmission

shelbycobra

Established Member
gt500 or gt

i have the money right now and i dont drive the cars just to dr app,and so forth but this is the hardest decision i ever had to make,a fully loaded gt with addons and extended warranty or gt 500 or roush 5xr its just so hard to decide because this is a one time deal.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I was basing my statement on the several issues owners have reported on NA applications with the MT-82. Notchy shifting, gear lockout, whining in gears and the recalls/tsb's. While no one has come out and complained about their supercharged MT-82 I would assume its safe to say it isn't a good idea based on the factory torque rating of 390ft lbs. I bought my GT with the intention of supercharging it. After extensive research it was clear to me that the automatic was by far the safer choice. So no I'm not trolling, just stating an opinion. Sorry you feel the need to defend you chinese trans. To be honest I loved the manual GT's I test drove. Short shifts and smooth at the time. But I couldn't ignore all the issues being reported on the tranny and that sorry excuse for a torque rating.

I just feel the need to clear up crap info put out by misinformed people. Sure they could've put a stronger transmission in it. How many people have busted their MT-82s due to power?

bull3441

Established Member
i have the money right now and i dont drive the cars just to dr app,and so forth but this is the hardest decision i ever had to make,a fully loaded gt with addons and extended warranty or gt 500 or roush 5xr its just so hard to decide because this is a one time deal.
skip the 5XR, find a 540R "Hammer" the motor is fully forged and built by roush. Ray Skillman Ford had a few used ones. they came with the 3/36k warranty. or see if you can X plan a '12 GT500 and save $4-5k on a new GT500.

corruptor

Established Member
If I could have used X-Plan and incentives on a GT500 (or BOSS), I would have went that route. All told, my well equipped GT came out to be about $12K less than a GT500 (or $15-$20K on BOSS depending on markups) before taxes.

That said, I'm happy with my GT and think it would be a sleeper with even the base Roush supercharger. If you're thinking long term resale or appreciation, then I'd say BOSS>GT500>GT. If you're just looking for a fun car that you can drive hard, then a GT is a good value.

shelbycobra

Established Member
gt 500

the gt 500 that i was told was sold,now the car lot called me said they still had the 2011 shelby gt500 for 40,000,but them gt's look real good too.

Users who are viewing this thread