Why CF track pack??

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
At this price.. A base car with handling package gets you pretty damn close.

I cant see that anyone that isn't buying it as a dedicated race car would value from it other than those guys that talk about it as a "investment".

Even as dedicated race car, How much faster could it be around a track if one pulled their own rear seats and installed the splitter and gurney flap?

I'm not hating.. it looks cool as hell. But tires/wheels and slightly bigger wing..?

I actually see no value at this price point other than collector car investment.

Am I way off?

blk02edge

Established Member
If anyone is buying a 2020gt500 as a dedicated race car, their first problem is buying a 2020 gt500 as a dedicated race car... Why CF track pack? Cuz its blingy

Wilson & Co

Established Member
If anyone is buying a 2020gt500 as a dedicated race car, their first problem is buying a 2020 gt500 as a dedicated race car... Why CF track pack? Cuz its blingy
Agree!

CF driveshaft is std on gt500

I dont think CF wheels are worth that much in terms of actual lap times... same day, same tires, same car.

And say it saves :15 sec off lap time. What level racer do you need to be to justify this option?

You could argue the 350R.
You just can't reason with CF track pack GT500 except for bling at this price.

blk02edge

Established Member
Agree!

CF driveshaft is std on gt500

I dont think CF wheels are worth that much in terms of actual lap times... same day, same tires, same car.

And say it saves :15 sec off lap time. What level racer do you need to be to justify this option?

You could argue the 350R.
You just can't reason with CF track pack GT500 except for bling at this price.
Whoever is stressing over tenths needs a Radical SR3... Ill bet a lot of people want the CF package because they think they'll go and win races with it... All the power to their imaginations.

That said, it is still awesome if you can swing it just for the sake of it.

LostM

Established Member
i dropped a total of 38lbs, from wheels and tires, and gained 2-3mph in the 1/4 mile. thats 1 straight blast only, imagine across a 2 .5 mile course, and add in the steering response (huge/immediately noticeable) benefit.. wheel/tire/brake weights are an overlooked secret weapon in winning races.

blk02edge

Established Member
i dropped a total of 38lbs, from wheels and tires, and gained 2-3mph in the 1/4 mile. thats 1 straight blast only, imagine across a 2 .5 mile course, and add in the steering response (huge/immediately noticeable) benefit.. wheel/tire/brake weights are an overlooked secret weapon in winning races.
Yea straight line sure, but thats still offset by more aero in this case. Sure it will feel lighter on its feet in the corners, but the bottom line is the average guy isnt winning shit on a road course. Serious people will benefit far more investing in slicks and track pads. If that 18.5 is nothing to you, then giver

Last edited:

Wilson & Co

Established Member
All valid logic goes out the door for 18.5k

Also base car is faster on the straights right? So if that 2.5mi track has 1mi of straights...

Just saying the price point makes it a novelty vs real use imo

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It really just boils down to not being able to buy all of those parts alacarte for $18,500.

Me, I wouldn't spend the money on it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Many will yank the CF wheels and put on a dedicated track wheel with much less worry about damage. The lightweight wheels make little sense to me unless you are running 10/10 at the track all the time and money grows on trees in your backyard. The wing though....after seeing it up close last year at numerous IMSA GT4 races I love it.

I really wish Ford had just used a high quality, functional and stylish forged wheel and kept the price down. The talk was that the price of these fiber wheels would go down with the passage of time, improved economies of scale, etc. The reality is they are becoming even more expensive for the consumer.

blk02edge

Established Member
Many will yank the CF wheels and put on a dedicated track wheel with much less worry about damage. The lightweight wheels make little sense to me unless you are running 10/10 at the track all the time and money grows on trees in your backyard. The wing though....after seeing it up close last year at numerous IMSA GT4 races I love it.

I really wish Ford had just used a high quality, functional and stylish forged wheel and kept the price down. The talk was that the price of these fiber wheels would go down with the passage of time, improved economies of scale, etc. The reality is they are becoming even more expensive for the consumer.
Totally, carbon wheels dont really belong on cars at this price point IMO. Funny enough I dont think any actual race car uses them either. Including F1

Wilson & Co

Established Member

Tough pill to swallow paying 18k+ and not using the wheels.

Wonder why so much? Clear not painted? 20" vs 19? Shipping from down under?

So I guess base + wing + cc plates from Ford Perf and save the $ for tires and pads..

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Shelving the CF wheels and tracking on a less expensive wheel is precisely what hordes of GT350R owners have done. I expect the GT500 to be no different for those that actually track them aside from those where money is no object. The CF wheels are robust yet still fragile. And prohibitively expensive to replace.

They are expensive for a multitude of reasons. I get it, Ford jumped on the wagon very early and showed it can be done. But for that kind of money I'd have preferred upgrades elsewhere or a simple cost savings across the board. They may be great in theory or for a Billy Johnson hero lap but for everybody else they don't compute.

And speaking of expensive, now I see why Ford didn't use Multimatic's DSSV dampers and stuck with Magneride. Yes, they are stiff but holy cow the price of the car would have been even more ridiculous. Looks like Ford realized they'd be pushing price a bit too far and decided against them.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

Great post. People don't appreciate or understand the laws of physics. The driveline and the weight of each component and the force required to accelerate all of that mass that is spinning at high speeds is extremely important.

blk02edge

Established Member
Great post. People don't appreciate or understand the laws of physics. The driveline and the weight of each component and the force required to accelerate all of that mass that is spinning at high speeds is extremely important.
Im pretty sure everyone here understands that less weight=better. But at what cost to benefit. OP is correct that the average joe around a race track isnt benefiting by $18,500 worth of that stuff.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'd do the opposite, I would track the car with the CF wheels (they already have Cup 2 tires mounted on them) and drive around with another set of wheels (like Forgeline with more street friendly tires like PS4S's).

I wouldn't want to pound over any potholes with those CF wheels on the streets, on the track unless you screw up and go off track chances of damaging the CF wheels are a lot less.

Tony

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I know I'm in the minority but I like painter CF wheels better. Just too look at me for my taste.

Anyway, if I get one which the lack of manual transmission is the deciding factor, I'd go the base with recaros and the handling pack.

I also won't pay over MSRP, so I'm out a few months anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I overlooked a statement from the engineer at Ford, Matt Titus, responsible for a number of patented items on the car. Data for the TP wing as well as the swing spoiler with Gurney flap is telling but without any spoiler...well, look for yourself.

Motor Trend said:
The Carbon Fiber Track Package includes the adjustable wing, which is from the GT4 race car with street and track positions that can create 550 pounds of downforce in the rear. Add the less elaborate Handling Package with the Gurney flap to the standard GT500 with the swing spoiler for 281 pounds of downforce. For perspective: there is about 250 pounds of downforce in the GT350. To put it more bluntly, Titus said if they took the wing off the GT500, "I would be terrified to drive this car."
From here.

Snoopy49

Established Member
So the base GT500 doesn't have a spoiler or is the swing spoiler the standard spoiler?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread