Why do people ask "Should I buy this or that?"

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Not that I'm trying to start an argument or anything but I've been noticing this alot lately on these boards. Some people will come on here asking if they should buy one thing or if they should buy this other thing. Why come on here asking strangers about what you should do with YOUR money? We don't know anything about your financial situation and we all have different spending habits and opinions about everything. I might prefer a solid interior a tad bit more than the next guy. Many people may have regrets a couple months after their purchase. If this happens to them, do they put the blame on the random people on the Internet that told 'em what THEY would get? I'm curious:shrug: Or is it just important to buy things that you know others want?

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
In most cases it just people wanting opinion or facts from people who own the cars, or who has driven the cars in the past.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
i ask people what to buy because I am 20 and have never owned a mach cobra or s197. I cant afford to pick the "wrong" mustang like some established people who can say well I hate this car Ill sell it then buy a different one. I dont have that luxury. Iappreciate all the help svtp has given me

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I can see what y'all are saying. But if I were deciding between two cars I'd make sure I'd test drive both. Especially if it was a new car at a dealership.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
It's called an opinion? Kind of like when you're with friends asking them "yo man, is this shit tight?" "naw dawg, that shit wack like a heart attack". And considering nobody has 100,000+ friends who are into cars, it's a great place to get a solid opinion.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
I get what you are saying. I think it is just how people word the question. In other words, instead of just saying "What should I buy a Mach I or a SVT Cobra?" maybe they should be more direct about their questions. That question will get you opinion based answers instead of factual information sometimes.

The flip side of that is I understand why people ask if they have no knowledge of the vehicles, but don't just ask what should I buy this or that.

Instead they should give all the facts. I have this amount of money to spend or I can pay this amount per month on a payment and insurance. Then as a follow up question at least from my perspective I would ask what experiences people have had with those specific vehicles and I could better gauge on what I want to buy depending on the feedback that I get.

A lot of the work people can do on their own by test driving a vehicle. Finding out how much your payment will be is only a calculater away. If you want to know how much your insurance will be then call insurance companies and get a rate. There are little mechanical problems obviously that a person may not know especially from a 1 time test drive so asking about people's experiences with the car is probably the best question not what you should buy because ultimately that is up to you and what your finances say you can buy.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I should have asked back on '03 should I buy a Mach or a 03 Cobra, I bought the Mach not knowing better.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I can see what y'all are saying. But if I were deciding between two cars I'd make sure I'd test drive both. Especially if it was a new car at a dealership.

Except you can't find out what long term real world experience is from a test drive. All you get is a snapshot.... why wouldn't you ask peoples opinions if they've owned the car longer than a test drive.:shrug: Makes sense to me!!:rollseyes

ViciousJay

Established Member
Not that I'm trying to start an argument or anything but I've been noticing this alot lately on these boards. Some people will come on here asking if they should buy one thing or if they should buy this other thing. Why come on here asking strangers about what you should do with YOUR money? We don't know anything about your financial situation and we all have different spending habits and opinions about everything. I might prefer a solid interior a tad bit more than the next guy. Many people may have regrets a couple months after their purchase. If this happens to them, do they put the blame on the random people on the Internet that told 'em what THEY would get? I'm curious:shrug: Or is it just important to buy things that you know others want?

you sound jealous

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Wisdom is the ability to impart your experience and observations with others so they don't repeat others mistakes. Sounds like a mature thing to do to me!

Bruce954

We'll Do It Live!!
Established Member
They ask to get attention and to get their forum 'rep' up by talking about what they 'might' buy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's a valid question IMO. If I want to buy a new television (as an example), I usually Google search sites that have reviews on the models I am considering. I read as many reviews per model as possible and weigh the pros and cons of each. If possible, I then visit a local showroom to actually see them. People buying a car are looking for the same thing through reviews from people who actually own the cars they are considering. The hope is that they'll get a balanced amount of feedback that will help them make the best decision.

JMD0346

Established Member
So should I buy a ZR1 or a Ford GT...I just cant make up my damn mind! Its so tough! Please help!

Having owned both Id say the Ford GT is a better all around car. Easily modded too. Its good you asked so you dont make a huge mistake.

You should go ahead and get the GT. By the way Youd be alot cooler if you did. wha ha ha hah.:dw:

In all seriousness I think some of these guys are looking for reassurance that their choice is "cool" to everybody else. Lack of self confidence I guess. Not all mind you. Just some.

I have a friend that has it bad. I bet he's had 20 cars since he was old enough to drive.

M3xpress

Established Member
Nothing wrong with getting feedback, opinions, etc. from others on a certain thing you're looking at.

In the end, I make the decision and I get what I want. Always better to go with the gut.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I made an Computer Build Thread and asked for as much help and as many opinions as I could get for one specific reason...knowledge. Unlike a lot of people that just ask the question and never do anything, I ask the question and research. When someone answers, I check out product/compare, etc. It helps get another perspective, more opinions, help with something you might have missed or just not known about the product or subject.

When people tell you something and you've been researching/etc you can easily see if they are on the right track or not. I don't think these forums are anything like "yahoo answers" or something completely trash like that. I swear you can type in 2+2= what? into Yahoo Answers and you'll get George from New York telling you its 3. People here are knowledgeable on many different subjects, and when you combine that with your research...it can go a long way

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I made an Computer Build Thread and asked for as much help and as many opinions as I could get for one specific reason...knowledge. Unlike a lot of people that just ask the question and never do anything, I ask the question and research. When someone answers, I check out product/compare, etc. It helps get another perspective, more opinions, help with something you might have missed or just not known about the product or subject.

When people tell you something and you've been researching/etc you can easily see if they are on the right track or not. I don't think these forums are anything like "yahoo answers" or something completely trash like that. I swear you can type in 2+2= what? into Yahoo Answers and you'll get George from New York telling you its 3. People here are knowledgeable on many different subjects, and when combine with your research...it can go a long way

Butt too plus to is tree you dumpass.

Users who are viewing this thread