Why does ford paint suck?

tigerwoods

Established Member
i need my hood and bumper painted now. it started with a little flake and now the hood has a chip the size of a half dollar. the bumper has a spot just as big. car is not even paid for yet and it is needing new paint. I guess it just doesnt stick to the fiberglass and plastic that good. :rockon:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I know the feeling... paint chipping and I'm out of warranty.. My front bumper is having peeling too. it sucks... I really love this Cobra.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
brad65ford said:
try owning an audi. Great car but the worst paint every. I'll take ford paint hands down over any other manufactors paint.

Actually the Audi I had (1985), had a decent paint job. The worst paint I ever encountered was on the 1984 Cutlass I had. I think the entire car was painted with a quart of paint! :fart: :kaboom:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Snakebite2k3 said:
ford sucks period :p

:bs:

U SUCK!

seriously though the paint is pretty bad. I have white paint on the inside of my car that rubber part where my speakers are. :shrug:

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Dont blame Ford, blame the tree huggers. Every time I see a hippie, I just want to kick them right square in the nuts.

YUP

The manufacturers cant make decent paint anymore because of all the EPA regulations. They use so much paint that the by-products are not worse than the aftermarket paint... but lots more of them. So the manufacturers 'seem' like they use cheap ass paint compared to aftermarket because they arent allowed to do what it takes to make decent paint anymore.

Lets all go kick a hippie:kaboom:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm taking mine in this week to have the front bumper repainted.....it's flaking by the H/E opening

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I'm not so much dealing with the flaking as with the chipping...it seriously seems like a have a couple new chips everytime I clean my car. It's nuts. I don't even drive it that much anymore.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You can most certainly blame Ford for the crappy paint. I have a 2002 Infiniti QX4 SUV. The paint is outstanding. No reason in the world for the paint on the Terminator being as bad as it is. Way too many issues have been reported. As good as I thought the paint was on my '03 Cobra, I found out from the owner that while washing the car huge pieces started coming off. NO excuse for that whatsoever.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Dont blame Ford, blame the tree huggers. Every time I see a hippie, I just want to kick them right square in the nuts.

My understanding is that Ford went to water-based paint to eliminate volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. My '03 Termi has the same paint code (Silver Metallic) as on my '93 Taurus beater, but picked up multiple stone pits in the first three weeks, whereas my Taurus still has primo paint after 150,000 miles. Also, Ford now applies THIN paint.

Users who are viewing this thread