Why is this so expensive?

budman5023

Established Member
So I was in the process of getting a Line X spray in bed liner($550) and decided to delete my tailgate assist handle because it is in the way when I load stuff and I don't really need it and I still have the step. 2012 f150. After the delete, now there is a big hole in the tailgate. So I went searching for the "tailgate access panel" and holy hell and WTF!!! OVER $300 in some cases $600!!!!! WTF!!!!!!! For a piece of stamped steel?!?!?! Well I found the previous and next model year "access cover" $50-$80. I called several dealers with parts numbers and its true. Checked other OEM sites and same story. Is this because of high demand? NO WAY!! Cant be. All I wanted was an OEM part. I know I could go get a piece my self but it's not the same. Or is it? I just wanted a clean look. Maybe I should go to the junk yards and gather them all up and sell em for $150-$200 I don't know anymore. OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!! this post brought to you by: anger and confusion

Last edited by a moderator:

Coiled03

Established Member
How is it in your way when you load stuff when it's stored in the tailgate? Am I missing something?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
5B3E4A93-F117-48E8-935B-79AB8CF67978.png
I went thru the same thing with my 2013 Raptor.

Hated the handle and thick plastic cover.

So I took the cover off, the folding handle, and the bracket, and it left a big giant hole in my tailgate.

Fortunately I have a sheet metal guy that I go to for repairs and work on my equipment and he made me a cover piece, and then I had the tailgate Rhino lined to finish it off.

Sorry but I dont know the price of the piece or the rhino lining cause I had it “buried” with other legitimate work under the business.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
If you think that is expensive, check out how much it costs to add the step to a truck that didn't come with one stock. It is in the thousands when you factor in all of the parts as well as painting the tailgate shell and assembling everything. Our sales department sold a guy a new F-150 and put $500 on the due bill to put factory tow mirrors on and add a tailgate step. That $500 covered a mirror and paint for it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Lol, OEM is certainly proud of their parts. It fluctuates too. For a time, you could pick up a new Trinity TVS Supercharger for less than $2000. Now the same blower is over $4000 at Tasca, listing for over $7000!

CV355

_
Established Member
Some of the reason that OEM parts can cost so much (Can...) is that often times they aren't laying around. Anything that requires a manufacturing "service" run costs an arm and a leg. I've been a part of several "service cell" projects. They run the systems only when there are enough replacement part orders to warrant a short manufacturing run.

As for used/take-off parts, I'm sure they're just trying to maximize profit knowing that the alternative is an arm and a leg anyways.

TaraFirma

Established Member
Back in 2013 when we got our F150 the “stripper pole” delete was one of the first things I did. OEM panel and hardware was around $100. Prob more expensive now because of out of production part. Since it’s just going to be covered by spray liner, pick up a part from a salvage yard if you can find one.

Zemedici

Established Member
If you think that is expensive, check out how much it costs to add the step to a truck that didn't come with one stock. It is in the thousands when you factor in all of the parts as well as painting the tailgate shell and assembling everything. Our sales department sold a guy a new F-150 and put $500 on the due bill to put factory tow mirrors on and add a tailgate step. That $500 covered a mirror and paint for it.

Love the borderline useless sales guys.

‘Yeah but what’s MY cost’

Bro.

OP, you are more than welcome to fabricate your own cover. Or buy Fords. Your only options soooooooo

nxhappy

Established Member
jesus really? when has car/truck modding EVER been cheap or simple ?????

budman5023

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses. I decided not to do anything with the truck bed. Ha! I picked up a teksid block and MM k member kit and am selling the KB. Going all in on my NASA SCCA Autocross car. Building a screaming NA 2 valve. I will start a thread with pics. I will build it piece by piece with recommendations from the community. Maybe a community build could be interesting. Not doing a 4 valve swap. Don't want to do extra wiring. 7000 rpm or higher, highest flow everything, super high compression, giant camshafts etc. I will look for a light weight rotating assembly.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thanks for all the responses. I decided not to do anything with the truck bed. Ha! I picked up a teksid block and MM k member kit and am selling the KB. Going all in on my NASA SCCA Autocross car. Building a screaming NA 2 valve. I will start a thread with pics. I will build it piece by piece with recommendations from the community. Maybe a community build could be interesting. Not doing a 4 valve swap. Don't want to do extra wiring. 7000 rpm or higher, highest flow everything, super high compression, giant camshafts etc. I will look for a light weight rotating assembly.
Guy had livernois build him a high HP 2 valve some years back. Not cheap.

I think it made 385 crank..

Users who are viewing this thread