Why No grille on the new gt500?

jonesd

Established Member
So from all the pictures i have seen, the new gt500 doesnt seem to have a front grille. I saw the picture of the blue 2013 gt500 and it didnt look too bad. Today i saw a picture of the black one being auctioned at barrett jackson and feel it looks like garbage in the front.

Is there a reason they are dong this? Is it to break the 200mph mark?

2013_shelby_gt500_test_mule.jpg

Maybe i am alone here, but personally i dont think it looks good at all on black.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I believe they did it for cooling purposes. I like it though I have not seen the black you speak of. It reminds me of the 390 gt that was driven in bullitt. That one did not have a front grill either.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
So from all the pictures i have seen, the new gt500 doesnt seem to have a front grille. I saw the picture of the blue 2013 gt500 and it didnt look too bad. Today i saw a picture of the black one being auctioned at barrett jackson and feel it looks like garbage in the front.

Is there a reason they are dong this? Is it to break the 200mph mark?

2013_shelby_gt500_test_mule.jpg

Maybe i am alone here, but personally i dont think it looks good at all on black.
It is possible that the production car will have a radiator guard
images
2012 Boss 302 owners experienced mild cooling issues and removed the factory grill and installed a rad guard to help cooling... Completely eliminating debris from damaging the radiator...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It is possible that the production car will have a radiator guard
images
2012 Boss 302 owners experienced mild cooling issues and removed the factory grill and installed a rad guard to help cooling... Completely eliminating debris from damaging the radiator...

I was wondering the same thing. My radiator has some pretty nice dings in it with a grill in front. Can't imagine the beating it would take unprotected.

I am 100% sure Ford addressed it.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
cooling and downforce were the reasons ive seen...and i think the car looks absolutely mean with the new setup!!!! i cant wait to get mine!!!

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
, what got auctioned at Barrett Jackson?

And where'd the picture of the black GT500 come from?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
apparently they are auctioning off the prototype of the 2013 shelby at the show this weekend for charity...that pic might be the prototype not sure

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I love the new grille. It will find its way on to mine. The wheels are TERRIBLE though. I ma not sure what they were thinking there.

lx347cid

Established Member
I agree wheels look horrible and it needs a grill.
I never really noticed except for now on this one and I definitely think it needs the grill.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I wasn't a big fan of the 11/12 PP wheels I really liked the base wheels. Looks like for 13 the base wheels got even better and the PP wheels got worse.

Grill take or leave. I'm fine either way. It helps make the car distinguishable from the 10-12 that had their small tweaks between years but not as noticeable as this change.

crysalis_01

Iron fist, lead foot
Established Member
Ironic that you ask here, as SVTP themselves got this answer for you directly from Hameedi (who needs to work on his speech delivery) within the first 2 minutes of this.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X86dnnBGFkQ&list=UUWlEFS16IXTKNLzvISL8wvQ&index=2&feature=plcp"]SVTPerformance.com : 2013 Shelby GT500 Details from SVT - YouTube[/nomedia]

-The-Terminator

Established Member
I think the car all together is amazing, I love the grill the wheels not so much right now but I imagine they will grow on me. Im just ready to order one already.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Ironic that you ask here, as SVTP themselves got this answer for you directly from Hameedi (who needs to work on his speech delivery) within the first 2 minutes of this.

SVTPerformance.com : 2013 Shelby GT500 Details from SVT - YouTube

i had not seen this video before, thanx for uploading it! i like that hameedi understands there are different customers so we can pick what we want and also the fact they tried to be as efficient with weight and such on the car. thats the exact color combo i want, but ill pass on the track pack. might get the performance pack, maybe

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The car is ugly and unfinished looking because it is a prototype test car. It can't even be licensed for the street.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
just noticed the car pictured at the top doesn't have HID's, which supposedly are now standard on the 2013

chuckstang

Established Member
I believe they did it for cooling purposes. I like it though I have not seen the black you speak of. It reminds me of the 390 gt that was driven in bullitt. That one did not have a front grill either.

I think it looks totally awsome as well

Users who are viewing this thread