Will Someone Stay Stong Long Enough?!?!?!?

R1Lello

Established Member
:coolman:

How about Joe DaSilva running a 12.45 at our local track with zero cooldown, comes into the track with editor of Mod Mustangs, track allows him 2 quick passes with zero cooldown (allowed as it was J&P Day) and clicks off a 12.45 on an unfamiliar car, and again zero cooldown, bone stock. I was there, witnessed it and that is my photo that I took. Joe is a well know racer and talking to him afterwards, was confident at least 2 more tenths were there.

http://www.ultimatemustangs.org/news_item.asp?NewsID=52

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
who cares what it can run bone stock when tires, tune and 4.10's is good for low 11's @ 126 and 3.73's + cai, and 4 ribs on the belt equals a 11.59 and I was pussy shifting because the sway from et streets distracted me.

bluestreak89

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:coolman:

How about Joe DaSilva running a 12.45 at our local track with zero cooldown, comes into the track with editor of Mod Mustangs, track allows him 2 quick passes with zero cooldown (allowed as it was J&P Day) and clicks off a 12.45 on an unfamiliar car, and again zero cooldown, bone stock. I was there, witnessed it and that is my photo that I took. Joe is a well know racer and talking to him afterwards, was confident at least 2 more tenths were there.

http://www.ultimatemustangs.org/news_item.asp?NewsID=52

We are still talking about Racers, and no one knows what a good driver should expect to get from the car. 12.45 is still a long ways but given that it was his first time I have to give some room for improvement.

I would like to see more numbers like those though.

The can the shelby run fast with minimal mods question has been answered, but can the Shelby run mid to low 12's on a regular basis with just a good driver (non-race driver) has not.

To answer DGUSSIN's question it could matter to people who dont want to void their warranty (of course i have never applied to that group) considering it's a brand new car. And also people who may not want 4:10's which would include anyone who wants to raod race. because not only does your chance of overheating go up but you run out of gear on the straights.

Last edited:

1bad04cobra

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
We are still talking about Racers, and no one knows what a good driver should expect to get from the car. 12.45 is still a long ways but given that it was his first time I have to give some room for improvement.

I would like to see more numbers like those though.

The can the shelby run fast with minimal mods question has been answered, but can the Shelby run mid to low 12's on a regular basis with just a good driver (non-race driver) has not.

To answer DGUSSIN's question it could matter to people who dont want to void their warranty (of course i have never applied to that group) considering it's a brand new car. And also people who may not want 4:10's which would include anyone who wants to raod race. because not only does your chance of overheating go up but you run out of gear on the straights.
Considering most people are waiting for the price to go down,most "average ,"non rich joes don't have them yet.I think your thread is about 8 months to early.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
12.0 is :bs: you can forget about it unless RANGER is driving which doesnt apply to anoyone but him. Ranger lives at the track.

ranger is overrated! yes i said. your damn right he is one hell of a driver i am not taking anything away from him.

i am just saying there are some great drivers that drive mustangs as well. no one ever talks about mike smith running 13 flat 106 in a bone stock 96 mustang svt! i think bob crosby is pretty good too!

and yes the right driver and correct conditions will put a bone stock gt500 at 12 flat!:burn:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
ranger is overrated! yes i said. your damn right he is one hell of a driver i am not taking anything away from him.

i am just saying there are some great drivers that drive mustangs as well. no one ever talks about mike smith running 13 flat 106 in a bone stock 96 mustang svt! i think bob crosby is pretty good too!

and yes the right driver and correct conditions will put a bone stock gt500 at 12 flat!:burn:

+1. I'll bet the same day Ranger ran his 10.85 in the Z, a stock Shelby would be 11.90-12.00. I can't stand threads with guys wanting to blow Ranger. If anyone raced the same setup 50+ times at one of the country's best tracks I'm sure they could shave .01 here and .02 there. BFD!!!

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Here's the way it goes for me:
I get to the track and sit in the staging lanes for 30 min.
I make one pass,, trying to do everything JUST RIGHT.
I sit in the staging lanes for 40 min.
I make another pass, trying to get everthing JUST RIGHT.
I sit in the staging lanes for 40 min, unless someone oils the track, or crashes or... then I sit in the staging lanes for 60 min.
I make another pass...

The point is, when do I get time to perfect a launch technique. It's damned easy to spin the stock tires. Sears Point does not have very good traction, so that's a limiter to. I'd be willing to bet that MM&FF left out the part about spraying VHT all over for ES's 12.22 et. They may have left out that he had 10+ back-to-back launches to dial in the technique. Sure he can drive, but there are a lot of unknowns surrounding that 12.22.

bunk22

Established Member
ON D BIT said:

Forgot about Bob Cosby. Yes, that man can drive as well. I would love to hear of him taking a few laps down the 1/4 mile in a GT500. As it is, I believe he's serving in Iraq.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
capnkirk52 said:
+1. I'll bet the same day Ranger ran his 10.85 in the Z, a stock Shelby would be 11.90-12.00. I can't stand threads with guys wanting to blow Ranger. If anyone raced the same setup 50+ times at one of the country's best tracks I'm sure they could shave .01 here and .02 there. BFD!!!

+1 :thumbsup:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
broeli said:
Once again the car driven by Evan also wasn't an off the lot production car. It was a pre-production car. I think 12.5-12.6's are about right for a good driver in the GT500.

:lol:

It was the same car that all the other mags tested. :p

Fourcam330

Established Member
bunk22 said:
Forgot about Bob Cosby. Yes, that man can drive as well. I would love to hear of him taking a few laps down the 1/4 mile in a GT500. As it is, I believe he's serving in Iraq.

His tour is up in 3 mos.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
IMO Evan Smith's time doesnt count if no one can come close to it.

So, by using your logic, Ranger's time also shouldn't count because no one has gone that fast. :-D

bluestreak89

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:

So, by using your logic, Ranger's time also shouldn't count because no one has gone that fast. :-D

I have posted here enough times and said that I dont count Rangers times myself because they are far from common. The common times by a car are what really defines it (meaning that at least 5+ people have run in the ballpark) I have also mentioned that he lives at the track.

Just because I own a vette doesnt mean I'm a loyalist and you havent ever heard me be the first to bring up a time by Ranger in any thread. I beleive the C6Z is a 11.4-5 car because lots of good drivers have run that.

You guys can stroke each other all you want but the fact is that those tires will not grant the traction unless you have some SERIOUS track prep to even come CLOSE to 12.2

AND FOR THE LAST TIME A LIGHTER COUPE WITH STIFFER CHASSIS WILL NOT RUN THAT MUCH FASTER THAN THE VERT.........

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
TAHOE GT said:
Here's the way it goes for me:
I get to the track and sit in the staging lanes for 30 min.
I make one pass,, trying to do everything JUST RIGHT.
I sit in the staging lanes for 40 min.
I make another pass, trying to get everthing JUST RIGHT.
I sit in the staging lanes for 40 min, unless someone oils the track, or crashes or... then I sit in the staging lanes for 60 min.
I make another pass...

The point is, when do I get time to perfect a launch technique. It's damned easy to spin the stock tires. Sears Point does not have very good traction, so that's a limiter to. I'd be willing to bet that MM&FF left out the part about spraying VHT all over for ES's 12.22 et. They may have left out that he had 10+ back-to-back launches to dial in the technique. Sure he can drive, but there are a lot of unknowns surrounding that 12.22.

i been to sears point and sactown. the best time to hone skills is at sactowns test and tune. they run them during season on fridays, and some saturdays. during the test and tunes you can run as often or as little as you want. during these days you see guys hot lapping all the time just working on technique and shift points.:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
I have posted here enough times and said that I dont count Rangers times myself because they are far from common. The common times by a car are what really defines it (meaning that at least 5+ people have run in the ballpark) I have also mentioned that he lives at the track.

Just because I own a vette doesnt mean I'm a loyalist and you havent ever heard me be the first to bring up a time by Ranger in any thread. I beleive the C6Z is a 11.4-5 car because lots of good drivers have run that.

You guys can stroke each other all you want but the fact is that those tires will not grant the traction unless you have some SERIOUS track prep to even come CLOSE to 12.2

AND FOR THE LAST TIME A LIGHTER COUPE WITH STIFFER CHASSIS WILL NOT RUN THAT MUCH FASTER THAN THE VERT.........

I hear ya and pretty much agree. I think the problem is that there two typical buyers for this car. The "cruisers" and the "racers". The cruisers bought the car to drive around and look good in yet still have the power to show up the other street cars when revved at. The racers are the ones who will take the car to the track and these people have a serious addiction and can't help but add to the car, its in their blood.

hatsharpener

Established Member
I've seen a few at the track so far. I must digress before I talk about the 500s at the track.

My general opinion is that 90% of the mustang owners can't drive at the track. I don't consider myself a great track driver, but I do consider myself better than the average joe yum yum. I keep my timeslips from the very first time I took my cobra out. My very first run on street tires was a 16.8. By the end of the night I was consistenly in the low 14s. Within a months time, I was turning mid-to-high 13s.

I've gotten behind the wheel of a coulple mid 16 second 05+ gt's and gotten the car into low 14s. Not too bad considering I really have no seat time on the 3vs. There's more to driving in a straight line than just mashing the go pedal.

Most of the gt500s have been running the mph to get into the mid-to-high 12s with a 6,000' DA. I have yet to see one run better than a 13.9 on street tires. As I've mentioned, it is all driver.

Users who are viewing this thread